Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/greg/

Welcome to mine.

It was roughly a 50mph getoff. I went wide on the exit of a corner, touched gravel, and that's all she wrote.

I saw sky three times, and when I came to a stop, I had broken my radius, and ulna on my right arm, and the humorous on my left arm. My gear did it's job. Taking nearly all of the damage. I ended up with a small scratch on my knee, forarm, and palm.

Bike was fine. ... ish. Everything cosmetic was shot. But the bike started, ran, and actually drove itself back to the county mounties house. Who stored it for me till Skreemer could retrieve it.

It's 3:30am. I'll add more later.

I don't have any great pictures of my second wreck.

Here's some x-rays. I'll post pictures of my hardware later.
http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/Pictures/ElbowXrays/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I suppose maybe it's time to talk about my second real crash. I learned my lesson on the street, but the dirt.. notsomuch.

At the time I owned a 1983 RM250. A bike with a torque curve that resembled the letter P. I had gotten good at riding the bike along the part of the torque curve I wanted, and could control it pretty well.

It was a test ride day at fox valley off road. I had tried out all sorts of bikes that day. A couple quads, a XR100, a CRF230, a CRF250R, a CRF450R, a CRF250X, and... last ride of the day, a CRF450X.

It was a trail ride. Tight singletrack, or quad paths. I was following a guy with a well worn KDX200. I'd see him slide his bike around corners, so I'd try it. Turns out he was doing it differently than I was.

I bought the RM250 to teach me how to handle sliding motorcycles. And I learned a lot from it. Sliding both the front and rear tires around corners is not something that scares me nearly as much as it used to. And the practice I got on the RM saved my butt over the years. To break the back tire loose on the RM, I just whacked the throttle open, and let the motor do it's work. I'd never actually had it hook up and go when I was trying to corner. This is where things went awry.

The guy I'm following takes a sharp right turn and dips through the brush. I go to follow. The path he took opened out onto an access path. I dropped into the little trail, and opened the throttle. Expecting the back tire to slide and to do a fun little powerslide out into the access trail. However, things did not go down like that. Instead, I opened the throttle, just as the bike was going through a dip in the trail, the tire hooked up as if it were riding in a cogged track. The bike took off, I did not. I pulled the throttle open as I slid back on the seat. Cue 45hp of honda hualing me and the motorcycle straight across the access path in a straight line.

Panic set in. I couldn't reach any controls for a moment. I struggled back forward on the bike, and managed to get the clutch and front brake. Once again physics takes over. 200lbs of nero flys forward as the bike comes to a halt right at the edge of the access path. Those of you who are familiar with this nero know that i'm 5'5", and when sitting on a MX/enduro I have 3-6" of clearance under my toes if I don't slide off the side of the seat to get a foot down.

This means the bike isn't going to stay standing up. I reach forward, reaching under the handlebars. The bike falls over. My body is still moving, but my forearm is pinned under bars with the bike on it's side. I flip over the front of the bike. This executes a perfect jointbreak on my right elbow.

The damage
I broke my helmet, and the end of my humerus.

The fix
The fix... oh boy.

They had to break my radius to gain access to the joint to fix my humorus. That really pissed off my wrist, as breaking the radius meant changing the position of my radius at my wrist.

And I bought a new helmet.

And I sold the RM250. and I bought a WR250.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

yup, they're still in there. The only complication was a flare up of brusitis a month back or so. Otherwise... there is a benefit. I no longer have a funny bone on my right elbow.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You know you're supposed to be physic and avoid these things right?

Skreemer posted:

but at the same time they handed me my left mirror in the hospital...

There was one survivor. *insert imagery from fifth element*

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Skreemer posted:

Who want's some bike carnage... you know you do...
That's one tough bandit. Looks like it's probally still straight. wow.

• Locked thread