Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
first and only "crash" was last year. it was my first time getting on a bike, actually. imagine that!

i had just purchased a honda vtx 1300cc cruiser. i know it's huge for a starter, but i figured if i learn on a beast i can ride anything; and i figured i needed something powerful to travel on without fear of burning out the engine (and i'm like 250 lbs anyway, so it balances nicely).

i was still trying to figure out how to get the drat thing going without stalling from letting the clutch open too fast. when i finally got it moving, i completely froze up and went full throttle into a flower bed/side of a house. i basically flipped over the handle bars and landed on the corner of a wooden fixture that stopped the bike.

i was bruised black and yellow all over my bicep, shoulder, and chest. i'm a pretty resilient guy, though, so that was about it. only damage to bike was a cracked windshield and a busted headlamp cover, that and a couple scratches that were easily buffed out. pain in the rear end replacing the lamp cover, but ironically i was going to take the windshield off that day, anyway :D

it was a massive pride punch and i was pissy for a long time about it, but i'm really glad it happened. it really opened my eyes as to just how drat careful you have to be on a bike. since then i've had a few close calls due to other driver's negligence, trying to merge into my lane, pulling out in front of me, etc, but the focus i gained from this initial bangup pulled me through all of it with caution far past my experience.

did drat near poo poo my heart out when it started torrentially downpouring on the highway one day, and i had to pull off to an underpass; started fishtailing, but i eased up off the brakes and just pulsed once or twice after i regained control, and coasted to a stop on the shoulder. phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^

Simkin posted:

Just 'cos it's a cruiser, doesn't mean you can't use your front brake. :v:

i'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, here

• Locked thread