Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've had a lot of "dumb falls" and two newbie mistake falls which is the first ones, nothing serious but could have been prevented had I been scanning the road better

1st crash: Hadn't ridden a motorcycle in 6 years, got on my [current] bike which was 400 cc's more than the first I ever rode, got scared on a small turn, full throttled it into a pole, breaking my left ulna and cracking the fairings:

http://sepwich.com/sep/bike/100_0438.JPG

1st lowside: Practicing tight turns in a parking lot, leaned over doing about 15mph I dropped the throttle, dropping me and the bike to the ground, scraped up left side of the bike and 2 scars on my left knee

2nd lowside: In a parking lot, circling my friends car I hit a patch of oil I couldn't see because it was dark, 1 scar on my right knee and more scratching of the fairing

3rd lowside: Getting onto the parkway, doing about 30mph into the turn, a shitload of sand strewn across the whole ramp right after the apex. Didn't even have time to say "oh shi-" before I was skidding on the ground. Another scar on my right knee and scraped my new right fairing :(

4th lowside: Green light, box truck in the left turning lane blocking my field of vision for tunring traffic, I slow down to about 10mph because this is a heavy industrial area and I eneded to see if someone was gonna turn in front of me. I finally get the chance to see if someone's tunring, which they are. By the time I see them I'm at the pedestrian crosswalk. I hit my brakes but my front end wipes out on the oil patches that conglomerate at stop lights, dropping me on my left side at about 2mph. Bent shifter and broken foot pedal.

I've been accident free for a while now though so that's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

MrZig posted:

Geez, man. Were you just wearing jeans/shorts to get all those scars? You'd think after the first, and definitely after the second, you'd get proper riding pants.

I actually wear all gear besides riding pants. After having so many falls and seeing only my knees get torn up I got into the habit of wearing knee protection but I haven't fallen since. I must say that after 5 falls my cortech gx air jacket has held up extremely well and I still use it to this day. I would buy a new one but part of me likes when people ask how the hell I roughed my jacket up so much.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Drew Tyler posted:

I have full gear except pants. After reading this post I went directly to newenough and bought knee/shin guards to place under my jeans.

Good to see my stories have changed someones views on knee guards. I should really get around to posting a picture of what my 4 lowside endured riding jacket looks like now, I really can't buy a non Cortech jacket after this one's survivability.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
How's the pillion feel about riding on the back again? I don't think I could 2-UP if I crashed with someone.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

philkop posted:

E: I think for every 10 or so awful bike pictures and stories in this thread, there should be one good statistic to make us all feel better. Especially aspiring new riders :)

If you want some feel good statistics, well..I don't have the actual statistic but a large number of accidents are alcohol/drug related. Last week a guy at work broke his leg after crashing his bike but he rode it drunk so yea.

So yea, don't drink and ride.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Wow that is drat sad. On the bright side I took the HOV lane home on the bike today and no one hit me

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
To the guy who crushed his nads on his tank, sup fellow tank crusher

http://sepwich.com/sep/bike/100_0441.JPG

This was back in 07, luckily it wasn't a full on blow to the balls but still hurt like a bitch.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My Ninja 650 came with Bridgestone Battlax, I'm pretty sure the 250 also does. I've been riding on my originals for 3 years and they need replacing, yours must be almost bare.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
You can usually see bent forks by eyeballing the triple-tree, but if you're that worried about it I believe Z3n said you can remove the front tire to straighten them out and slap it back on.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Did you look at the car as you were taking the turn? Could've messed your line up by changing your lean angle when moving your head.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My stupid friend who got a brand new '11 650R crashed it a few days after buying it and a week before the MSF, lowsided around 40 by chopping the throttle when practicing turns. He was okay for MSF and passed fine - he's been riding ever since with some close calls because he drives like a dong (130mph on the I-495 constantly into brooklyn)

Today some higher power told him to stop riding by having someone total his bike by crashing into it while it was parked by it's lonesome. Not really a crash story but there is atleast an accident involved :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Not my story but I've posted in the past about a friend who decided to buy a motorcycle a few months ago after being on the back of mine. He's reckless, I tried really hard to change his mind but it didn't work so I had to just accept he's going to kill himself. I also posted that he crashed his bike the day after getting it when practicing turning in a parking lot and a week before the MSF. Then someone crashed into his bike while it was parked by it's lonesome and it was in the shop for 3 weeks.

After he got it out of the shop he continued to ride like a dong and if there weren't enough signs to not ride (alot of close calls on the BQE) fate finally caught up to him. He was riding like an rear end in a top hat on the GW and didn't see that traffic was at a dead stop up ahead. He said he hit the rear end of a van at 30 MPH, he didn't even try to stop, he just slammed into it and the driver drove off. He shattered his collar bone in 3 places, you can move the bone around :/ He also hosed his knee up to the point he can't walk right now and his elbow was sticking out of the skin. Oh yea and the bike is totalled of course.

And he still wants to get back on. I've been in 7 minor accidents myself on dirt/gravel/oil but never this bad, I'm pretty sure I'd give up after that accident.

• Locked thread