Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRYH4V0K
Mar 18, 2006
I don't know anything about motorcycles or riding, but I know that I really wish my 47-year-old father had been wearing a helmet when he had an accident two years ago.

From what we were told, his biker friend stopped in front of him for some reason and my father braked, slid a little way and ended up going over the handlebars at (the police estimated) around 40 MPH.

The bike (a Honda Shadow from the late 90's) had a few scratches and a torn off mirror. My dad had no injuries whatsoever, except for massive brain trauma and a broken nose. I myself got, at age 26, to make the wonderful decision to take my father off of life support because he was going to be a vegetable even if he lived, which was doubtful. The doctors said he was probably brain-dead upon impact and told us that he probably didn't suffer, which I hope is true.

I was interested in getting a bike a couple of years ago, but now the thought of riding one makes me sick to my stomach. The story of my father's death goes way beyond the accident itself and into legal battles over vintage guitars and memorabilia from a 1980's Nashville career, along with a lot of family squabbling between his mother and his second wife and stepchildren, but none of that is really pertinent to the thread.

I know this post wasn't very helpful and just reiterates something you all know already, but please wear your protective gear, even if you're just riding a couple of miles down the road.

EDIT: From everything I've been told by emergency personnel, he probably would have gotten up and rode the bike out of there if he had been wearing a helmet.

CRYH4V0K fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread