Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I almost lowsided my '82 GS550 on Saturday, and luckily I didn't highside over a median immediately as well. Made a right turn from stop, headed up a hill, and must have been right on the edge of traction. As I went to switch off the turn signal the back end stepped out. Road looked okay, must have been to much wrist/lean. Slid on the sole of my boot a bit, but got a hold of it in enough time (clutch reflex FTW) to basically get it upright and pointed forward about 6 inches from the median. Quickly pulled over at my new destination and had lunch :D

A bit of a strain on my shoulder from muscling the bars as it slapped back vertical, but not even a scratch on my peg, nor a bit of nerves suprisingly. Rider behind me thought I was going into traffic, and then said he actually broke out laughing at my recovery, as I apparently gave some onlookers a thumbs up almost immediately. That part I don't remember...but I certainly will remember to be mindful of the powerband while I've got it leaned in first gear :D A good way to learn a lesson in my first season, I must say.

Steel toe boots, full face helmet, armored jacket, gloves and jeans as usual: glad I didn't need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Humper posted:

This is a near-crash report, fortunately.

Yesterday I was riding home after picking up my girlfriend from work. She has been very nervous about the motorcycle for a long time, and has finally decided to try riding pillion. This is her fourth trip ever on the bike, and she's getting a little more comfortable.

After riding for about 45 minutes through some awesome back twisty roads past Monticello, we get to the final turn before my house. There are two left turn lanes; I'm in the right hand one.

The arrow turns green, and the huge SUV to my left goes. I go, and as I'm about halfway through the turn I hear that horrible sound of screeching brakes to my right. A car coming the other way has run the red light and is about to sandwich me into the SUV.

In the split second I watched this happen, my thoughts were:

1) I bet we're going to get a huge insurance check from this, that would solve my money problems!
2) He's going to T-bone the back of the bike, which will crush my girlfriend's right leg.
3) This SUV to my left is not going to be a fun thing to be sandwiched against.
4) His car looks super old and rusty, I bet he doesn't even have insurance. gently caress.
5) Why the hell didn't I see him coming before I turned left?
6) O poo poo BETTER HIT THE loving GAS

Fortunately, #6 saved my rear end. I hit the gas so hard I thought I was going to wheelie out of there, but 800 lbs of cruiser (Boulevard C90) + fat-rear end rider + passenger made that not happen.

I honestly have no idea how his car didn't hit me. When he slid to a stop behind the bike, it really felt like we were somehow occupying the same space at the same time. He must have missed us by less than a foot.

I think that he had skidded to probably about only 20-30 MPH before he passed us, so I don't know how badly we would have been hurt, but even writing about it now is making my heart pound.

I hate people.

It's situations like this that get me honked at : I will NOT enter an intersection if I think there's a chance someone else will run the light. People behind me can honk all they want, but that one time I thought "I don't think this guy is gonna stop" and he didn't makes all the honking in the world only remind me how much I enjoy my body in (nearly) pristine condition.

I'm glad your story had the ending it did, as I'm thinking about purchasing a jacket and helmet to be able to take a passenger sometime soon. I'm still not entirely sure I want to take on that responsibility yet... (orwhat size jacket to get that'll fit whatever girl is willing to ride with me)

Everyone IS out there to kill you, sometimes even yourself, so keep those eyes open!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
A riding buddy of mine has kicked (and dented) door panels of vehicles that have run him out of his lane. I've personally seen him fold in someone's side mirror before. It's humorous to me, because I literally backed off behind the car about 10 seconds before the incident on intuition, and it totally payed off. There he was, prepared to act out of vengeance, but not prepared enough to notice that the other guy had out of state plates, talking on the cellphone, and the car's lane becoming turn only without much warning.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Boy I wish I had people so concerned with everything I do that I could guarantee that if I dopped my bike I'd have people swarming to find out my condition. :jerkbag: Paparazzi :jerkbag:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Endless Mike posted:

Note to self: Don't brace with hands! (I knew this already.)

I snapped my arm in half right below the shoulder last time I failed to get over a log while mountain biking. Stupidly slow fall, and BOOM. I don't know how you'd remember NOT to put your arms out in that .3 seconds from collision to hitting the ground...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

redscare posted:

That makes no sense

Autocross is a risk, albeit not much for crashing if you're not an idiot, but at least for higher wear on your vehicle.

or (not sure what didnt make sense to you)

Ts and Cs - Terms and Conditions

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Tsaven Nava posted:

In summery: It's not "Just a scooter". And all the experience and defensive riding/training in the world can't save you from dumbshits. Wear your gear, kids, every time, no matter what you're on.

After a couple thousand miles as a pedal road biker, one season of motorcycle riding with armored clothing and full face helmet has made me feel 100% unsafe on my pedal bike. Seriously, spandex and 'skid lid'? I pretty much ride the same roads with both bikes, but I feel completely naked on the pedal bike now thinking about poo poo like what you saw.

(lol, excuse to be lazy goon?)

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

redscare posted:

Anyone that pedal-bikes any road that's liable to be filled with squids, ricers, et al is probably lacking a bit in the self-preservation department to begin with.

But the public opinion of pedal bikers is so much higher :iiam:
I feel much safer as a motorcyclist!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Got one of those dreaded 1:35am calls from a friend that rides... he lowsided in a recently formed pile of gravel on the road he lives on at about 20mph. Helmet, check. Gloves, check. T-shirt and shorts, check.

A bit shaken up, but otherwise quite alright. Minor abrasion to the forearm that didn't even draw blood, and not a scratch anywhere else. Broken shifter peg, (more) rashing to the fairing, and cracked windscreen.

The gravel was at least half and inch deep and 10 inches wide, and I KNOW that it wasn't like that on Friday the last time I rode through there.

Got it in to second with a pair of vice grips, and he limped it home the last half mile home while I followed in my car.

Goes to show that when it's dark, you should stick to the lines you normally take and not turn in earlier through an intersection just because nobody is around.

• Locked thread