Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://www.gog.com/en/game/xcom_2

XCOM 2's like $2.5 right now. The DLC ruined that game for me, but the base experience is solid for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

THE BAR posted:

XCOM 2's like $2.5 right now. The DLC ruined that game for me, but the base experience is solid for that price.

It was free on Epic a little while ago, too…I only bring it up because some folks (like me) compulsively redeem free games posted around and forget they even already own the games before they jump on a “deal.” 😬

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

THE BAR posted:

What's the deal about XCOM 2's DLC? I only played X-Com Enemy Within from the modern series. Oh well and Chimera Squad but that was a more self-contained game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Guillermus posted:

What's the deal about XCOM 2's DLC? I only played X-Com Enemy Within from the modern series. Oh well and Chimera Squad but that was a more self-contained game.

It was well received, I just didn't like the focus on named villains, cutscenes, and forced story beats. Original X-COM was, to me, a techno thriller about fighting the unknowable with expendable assets, and this is about as far from that as you can get.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh thanks. Is not like I'm planning to play a X-Com game again soon but that's super cheap :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

War of the Chosen changes XCOM2 up so much it might as well be a new game (and was priced as such). You could easily play XCOM2 and then come back at a later date and play the expansion and get a totally new experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like XCOM 2 but it and WotC have some questionable design decisions. EU was tonally very similar to the original game and mostly maintained the expandability and mortality of your lads, 2 is basically a superhero game and WotC cements that.

I also don't really like its focus on "alpha strike" style fights and basically everyone (including enemies) being able to break the action economy with every other move, but that's personal preference. When everyone can break the "rules" there basically just aren't any rules any more.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I remember beating XCOM2 with nothing but creeping grenade barrages. You ignore cover, the damage is consistent, and if everyone's bringing grenade launchers, you have enough ammo for any mission.

The fanciest I did was probably bringing a sniper along to pop bosses, since their stats are so ridiculous in the endgame.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

It was well received, I just didn't like the focus on named villains, cutscenes, and forced story beats. Original X-COM was, to me, a techno thriller about fighting the unknowable with expendable assets, and this is about as far from that as you can get.

I can relate to that, it felt kind of dizzying being bombarded with prompts and having the characters talk constant poo poo in saturday morning cartoon dialogue.

I was a little disappointed to find War of the Chosen was just more DLC woven through the original XCOM 2 game, I was expecting a campaign set after it. Would've felt less busy that way too.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
GOG's summer sale started. Sunblaze is the current freebie. I think Contra is new, currently $4. Veil of Darkness and The Summoning too, RPGs I went nuts over as a kid.

The Cyberpunk DLC is up for pre-orders too, you get Akane if you preorder but also if you buy one of the games in the current cyberpunk essentials sale.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Loaded question: with the Microsoft having potentially won the FTC fight over Activision-Blizzard (it sounds like there's still the chance for an appeal), what are the odds that will affect GOG's catalog?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

arcanum 2 will be added to the store shortly

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Cavauro posted:

arcanum 2 will be added to the store shortly

Be still my heart.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kinda pointless bump but does anyone remember what game it was that killed off flash sales during GOG sales? It was some kinda point and click adventure and it took like 12 hours or something to sell enough copies.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I want to say that was Jack Keane. May be wrong though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I want to say that was Jack Keane. May be wrong though.
Close, Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcI_S6Lasr0

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ErrEff posted:

Close, Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcI_S6Lasr0

Ah yeah, that'll be it. I don't know why I was thinking Adam's Venture when that's the wrong genre entirely.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

quote:

Easily one of the most underrated gems in gaming. A true adventure for people young and old alike. Playing this is a magical experience that 64 more people should partake in instantly! A+ Please buy!

You'd have thought GOG would have scrubbed the joke reviews by now

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Has the GOG Community site become filled with spyware or something? Went on there twice today (first time to post something, second time to check my hypothesis) and the site just slowed my laptop to a crawl.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It’s just a heavy as gently caress site, I think. Do you own more than 100 games there? I think that might be a factor, at least for the store part. Even on my desktop it takes several seconds to load the front page.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I just tested it on my laptop and it wasn't noticeable, maybe there's some other underlying problem?

(owns lots of games, laptop is surface go)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The number of games might have something to do with it, I've got heaps of GOG games. I'll try and get in and out of the forums quickly :D

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's this script on the community page that loads, then hides, the links for the six million individual forums they have for each game. If you have a number of "favorite" forums that you keep ticked, the thumbnails for all those forums must load. Maybe that's it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

doctorfrog posted:

There's this script on the community page that loads, then hides, the links for the six million individual forums they have for each game. If you have a number of "favorite" forums that you keep ticked, the thumbnails for all those forums must load. Maybe that's it?

Good lord, that's the most inefficient way of doing anything related to loading web things.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Oh wow, maybe!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Winter sale has started, Legend of Keepers is the current freebie.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Just got AOW3 and the DLC for what used to be the discounted price of the base game itself. Finally. Probably would have been more psyched 8 years ago, but it's still a win.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just go this email, looks like if you have a GOG forums account and other stuff it's switching names:

quote:

Dear mysticalmachinegun,

You are receiving this email due to your use of online features, including Cross Progression and My Rewards, in CD PROJEKT RED games, as well as your participation in platforms like the CD PROJEKT RED Forums. We are migrating these products to a new account system, owned and operated by CD PROJEKT S.A., effective from March 5th, 2024. This consolidation will involve the transfer of governance of your personal data, including your email address and username, from the GOG account system to the CD PROJEKT RED account system.

What does this change?
Starting March 5th, 2024, the above mentioned online features and services will be available through a new CD PROJEKT RED account system.

Do I need to take any action?
No, a new CD PROJEKT RED account will be created for you automatically based on your GOG Account information: user ID, username and email address. This will allow you to continue using features provided by CD PROJEKT RED with no interruption. No action is required on your end.

How can I log in after the migration?
Your new account will use the same email address as your GOG Account. If you’re already logged into any of our games, you will stay logged in when the account change takes place.

What happens to my personal data?
Upon migration, CD PROJEKT S.A. will become a data controller of your personal data connected with CD PROJEKT RED account. Transfer of data will be based on a legitimate interest in ensuring continuity of CD PROJEKT RED online services. For more information see updated CD PROJEKT S.A. Privacy Policy available here.

How does this affect my current GOG account?
Your GOG account and all your GOG purchases remain unaffected. The GOG.com website and the GOG Galaxy app will continue to use the GOG account system. Your GOG account will be separate from your CD PROJEKT RED account.

Can I opt out?
If you do not wish to have a CD PROJEKT RED account created for you, you may opt out of the account creation process by clicking this link. After the account system migration, you will be able to delete your account with the same link.

If you choose to opt out, please note that on March 5th, 2024 you will lose access to Cross Progression, My Rewards, and RED Forums, and all connected data will be permanently deleted.

You can create a new CD PROJEKT RED account at any time.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please visit our support page. (https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cdpr-accounts/account)

Warm Regards,
GOG and CD PROJEKT RED Teams

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Just go this email, looks like if you have a GOG forums account and other stuff it's switching names:

I think I already logged into The Witcher 3's (PC and console) and CP2077 via GOG so this shouldn't affect me, right? I play CP2077 on PS5 and I used my GOG account to log into the rewards system.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I think I already logged into The Witcher 3's (PC and console) and CP2077 via GOG so this shouldn't affect me, right? I play CP2077 on PS5 and I used my GOG account to log into the rewards system.

I think this is what the GOG account is becoming.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh nice then, thanks!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Alpha Protocol is back, in GOG form: https://www.gog.com/en/game/alpha_protocol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:eyepop:

Already have it on Steam, but maybe I should get it on GOG too...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Very excited to play alpha protocol again.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Very excited to play it for the first time ever

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aces High posted:

Very excited to play it for the first time ever

Oh boy, it's a very rough game and you need to be prepared for that. But there's absolutely nothing else like it. It's a very reactive game, like it responds to nearly everything you do even when you don't realize it at first.

Role play like you mean it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm realising I've gotten a lot worse at AP gameplay after the years of playing polished sneak and shoot games, but it's still fun and the talk parts still stand out.

Playing "recruit who is very sure of himself" never gets old.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also have the Steam version and am wondering if there are tech fixes that make it worthwhile to get on GOG.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

orcane posted:

I'm realising I've gotten a lot worse at AP gameplay after the years of playing polished sneak and shoot games, but it's still fun and the talk parts still stand out.

Playing "recruit who is very sure of himself" never gets old.

The trick to AP is to get the completely broken pistol skill that one shots everything. I think there was also one that turned you invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I also have the Steam version and am wondering if there are tech fixes that make it worthwhile to get on GOG.

Apparently there's better Win 10 and 11 support in this, including modern controllers. No graphical or other enhancements, just making it run nicer.

From the Deus Ex thread/Polygon:

quote:

The ambitious, yet flawed Alpha Protocol is available for purchase once again. The 2010 game, which was developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Sega, was removed from all platforms in 2019 because Sega’s music licensing rights had expired. The game is making a comeback as a DRM-free exclusive on GOG.com, available today for $19.99, with an additional 10% launch discount lasting through April 3.

What’s now available is a definitive edition, of sorts, containing all of its original music, as well as support for modern wireless controllers (including the DualSense, Switch Pro controller, and Xbox Series X controllers), text localization support for 8 languages, Windows 10 and 11 compatibility, and cloud save support. The game also sports achievements on GOG, which were previously only available on consoles. What this re-release of Alpha Protocol is not, however, is a remaster. The visuals and core game are unchanged. GOG.com produced a mini documentary on how it brought the game back, and I’ve embedded it at the top of the post.