Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I also highly recommend GoG.

I've been (as have most of us here) using it since closed beta and it's a fantastic service. If you have a problem with your account, gone are the days where you send in a report ticket like with steam and wait 4-5 days for your problem to be solved. These guys get back to you within a day with not just some lovely form letter, but with an email from an actual person.

Couple that with fast downloads, drm-free games, and an ever-expanding library, and you've got yourself a winner. Please support these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Brother Jonathan posted:

I just noticed that today's featured article at Wikipedia is on Giants: Citizen Kabuto, one of the games that has been released by GoG. Unfortunately, the article nowhere mentions Gog or that it is still available for sale. :(

Then edit it and put it in?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Someone tell me what the Gothic games are like in terms of gameplay. I really enjoyed the witcher and I've been itching for an RPG to play since then (I guess fallout 3 kind of counts). I've read good things about it, but I've also heard that the game likes to kick you in the balls, teeth, and rear end whenever it can in terms of difficulty.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Drox posted:

You'd rather support walmart than these cool guys?

Seriously. Walmart sucks so much rear end while these guys is like supporting your local business (although they're making millions probably).

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

I'll support whoever gives me the best price. And I'm not sure how supporting some website based in...Poland?...is like supporting a local business. I'm not saying it's a bad site or anything. I'd definitely consider buying some titles from them. It's just that given the age of the games and the fact it's download only I feel the DOS titles should be no more than $5 apiece.

Most of the titles are $10 chief.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

In these hard economic times for America's teenagers, one must always focus on low, nay, the LOWEST price, no matter what. Don't factor in a businesses lovely ethics/business practices, it's all about saving a dollar.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Painkiller

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

The thread reboot got me to buy Fallout Tactics (even though I'm probably years away from getting around to playing it) and ... Pinball.
I doubt they're making much money at all. I believe piracy is honestly a massive problem, and I bet they're giving a 50-80% cut to the original publishers.

They don't just do gog.com, they also made a little game called The Witcher.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Casao posted:

Big question here, does GOG allow re-downloads like Steam, or is it a one time use like iTunes? Because of the DRM, I'd imagine the latter, which is a bit of an annoyance.

Yes, it's unlimited downloads to as many computers as you want.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

I hope it's ValuSoft so we can play all their quality titles.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

El Nath posted:

I bought Redneck Rampage but it runs like complete rear end on my Win XP netbook. The framerate is so bad it's unplayable. I've tried messing around with all the graphic options (direct3d, directdraw, opengl) but nothing helped. I can't open the original setup file for some reason. I want to get duke3d as well but since it's also a build game I'm holding off. Has anyone else had this problem as well and know how to fix it?

Post on the gog.com forums or send an email to the dev team. They'll get back to you pretty quickly about it.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

What happened to the new publisher announcement? Or is that on thursday?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

I really wish when they have announcements like this, they just announce them all at once. For those on a budget, staggering announcements just makes me wait until the last one before I buy something to make sure I get my favorite game if it comes out.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

When and what is this "GDC" they keep talking about on their blog? They say the publisher they'll announce at that is "big"

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

How are the MDK games?

Also, you can get Painkiller for $9 by entering the code PCG1 at checkout.

This works. Thanks! I've been looking to get painkiller for a few weeks now.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

And it doesn't work anymore.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

This is a big step for ubisoft though, especially since they said they won't support the new PoP for PC because of rampant piracy, to all of a sudden put their back catalog on a site that has zero DRM.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Jiriam posted:

ANy chance they'll have planetscape torment up in the future? It's the one game i've never got around to playing that I always wanted to

Nope. No chance at all. Ever.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Pavol Paska posted:

For :10bux: you'd think they would include the expansion packs.

Ghost recon is $10 on steam and it's $5 per expansion.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Merrill Grinch posted:

I picked up Arx Fatalis on steam ages ago and had nothing but problems trying to run it on Vista: tracking down old-rear end video codecs that weren't included, sound issues and constant CTD's.

Is the GOG version better? They use some sort of wrapper to ensure their old games run properly, don't they?

All of their games are guaranteed to work on XP or Vista, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

The Machine posted:

Well this is sad. Fallout 2 is giving me some sort of error now, and won't run.

"Fallout 2 is compatibility mode" or something such. Is not! :\

Post that on the gog.com forums, you'll get help pretty quickly.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Sorry if this has been answered but 14 pages is a ton to trawl through for a simple issue:
I decided to give Fallout 2 another go, and I just wanted to check if there are any additional patches or fixes one should install after installing the GOG version? It is version 1.2 I think, but the time on the map still goes by incredibly fast - is that normal? Also, random encounters on the world map seem very very few and far between.

Any recommendations?

Check the gog.com forums for the fallout series. There's always a stickied thread on unofficial patches and mods to get you going.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

royallthefourth posted:

Actually that one's already available.

Just about to say that.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/apache_vs_havoc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

You know, the more I look at the prices on the revised Apogee/3D Realms store, they're mostly $5.99 with two games at $9.99, they both have revised installers and DOSBox wrappers, and GoG has an Apogee catalogue started already...

...so, why aren't the other games on GoG? Developer/Publisher disagreements is the only thing I can think of.

They don't want to cut it three ways instead of two?