Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Outrespective posted:

If I could find a pack like that anywhere nevermind evil wal-mart, I'd buy it, but I can't so I haven't.

Count yourself fortunate.

I've got the Planescape pack from Walmart though i've never played it, i'm pretty sure it's only two discs (while the original was something around 4 or 5) because they removed a ton of the movies/spells from the game to make it fit. So i wouldn't consider the Walmart version to be definitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I love RealMyst, but I need to know if it'll work on Windows 7 x64. I have it on CD and it didn't work past a certain year due to incompatibilities. I forget if the problem was Windows or graphics cards or something.

I tried to get it to work a few months back, i failed though :(

And ignore this, i missed that it's available on GoG now. I am so buying it.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

glug posted:

My guess is it'll work since it's coming from gog. If not, worst case scenario download virtual XP and you should be able to install it on XP on your machine. I had no problem installing Wizardry Gold (original version, not from gog or anything) in XP mode, where it wouldn't on win 7 64 at all. It ran fine, until I realized that short of setting my monitor resolution to 640x480, it would be unplayable as designed, it being a terrible hack of a dos? game into a lovely window so that it would run in windows 3.1 or some poo poo.

I'll bite and buy it, i'll let everyone know how it works tonight.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Looks like it's a no go, I got it to load once and everything looked and sounded fine and then the Myst book started falling and the graphic corruption started. Got into the game and everything was messed up. I've tried a variety of resolutions (started at 1920x1080) and graphic settings (no aa) and compatibility options but i just can't get it to run under Win 7 x64, looks like i wasted 6 bucks for now, at least i bought Shogo as well, maybe I'll have more luck getting that to run. Oh graphics card is a geforce GTX 275.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

I stand corrected, went poking around the gog website after posting this and found a solution that has been working for me.

1. Change the setup utility (realMYSTSetup.exe) in your realMyst folder to run as admin always

2. Set the RealMystStart exe to windows xp sp3 compatability and check off run as admin.

3. Set your 3D Hardware to Direct3d HAL and NOT Direct3d T&L HAL

4. Set your resolution to whatever you want (i'm running 1920x1080 32 bit)

5. Set your texture quality to High (that's what i'm running at least)

6. I have Full Scene Anti-Aliasing on and it works fine, ymmv

7. Select ok and run RealMystStart.exe (the exe with the yellow gog icon and not the myst book one).

8. Hopefully play like me.

Hope this helps.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Ha i still have this game in a box in my closet, i keep meaning to dig it out and play it but didn't have a whole lot of faith that it would run. GoG is just getting more and more awesome.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

It has a decent, if overtly hammy, plot and some hilarious quotes.

"To the abyss with thee!!"

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Oooh, maybe you had an SX 486 (no math co-processor).

That was me, i remember my dad had a black Compaq laptop from work with the same specs except it was a DX, you better believe we attempted to install the quake shareware on it.

It ran. Like Myst.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

And the site is down, good job guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Ditch Shogo, it's a cool concept that wasn't implemented all that well when it came out and (as I found out when I tried to replay it last year) has aged terribly.

If you want to prune it more, drop Baldur's Gate; if you're not hardcore into D&D as a ruleset, Fallout and PS:T are both much better games, and if you are, you should probably be replacing it with Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil instead.

Blasphemy, Shogo is awesome. I'm still waiting on that sequel Monolith...