Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
So is anyone going to attempt the Gothic Exploration challenge?

Good Old Games Front Page posted:

The Screamer Time Attack Contest required skill and reflexes. The Oddworld Caption Contest required wit and imagination. This time we wish to test and reward your perceptiveness and your knowledge of the game Gothic. Your task is to tell us the name of the location we captured on this screenshot, or where to find it in the game. If you know where or what it is, tell us at users@gog.com before March 9 (Monday), 11:59 p.m. EDT and entitle the e-mail "Gothic Exploration Contest". From among those who knew the correct answer, we will draw one winner, who will get a promo code for any game in our catalog. The rules can be found here.

Is Gothic 1 even worth getting, especially when 2 is on GoG as well?

And between The Witcher and GoG, I've been convinced Poles can do no wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

Speak to me of Capitalism 2. Are any of you familiar wth it? How is it? I want to know more than their page is saying. So I come to you.

If you like business sims, it's absolutely brilliant. It's a basic 'form your own supercorporation', whether by massive retail presence (You can sell other companies goods in your own stores), primary production (everyone needs iron for steel), or by massive factories (churning out knicknacks for the suckers who'll buy everything). But of course you'll end up doing a bit of all of them, and making a killing by vertical integration. And there's other diversions like investing in real estate (aparment complexes and mansions), advertising, and the usual Wall Street hijinks. It's all sprite based so it hasn't aged that badly, but for the love of god don't listen to the soundtrack more than once. If you've ever enjoyed a business sim, you're probably going to love this. (But I should point out its pretty serious, no usual videogame silliness)

Everyone should buy Capitalism 2 dammit.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Port Royale 2 is a decent amount of fun, and I think Patrician 3 is more or less the same deal in the Hanse (Northern Europe, and I own Port Royale 2 but I haven't played Patrician 3). If you don't mind trading/economic games, its a decent deal, and there's a bit of fun to be had as a pirate as well. There's multiplayer for Port Royale 2 as well (Not sure about Patrician 3), but I'm not sure how well it runs.

There's a few quirks though, like not being able to control more than one ship in a battle (you tag them in or out more or less), but on the whole they're pretty decent games, worth getting if you're into the genre.

Also, I'd like to ask how good Painkiller, Arx Fatalis, and Gothic 2 are.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Heads up, this week's Hidden Gem is Earth 2150. I heard good things about it back in the day, anyone ready to offer their thoughts?

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm hoping for Theme Hospital. I never finished the drat thing but it was a hell of a lot of fun (and the multiplayer was pretty fun for tycoon style games)

But I honestly wouldn't mind Planescape I suppose (I haven't played it yet)

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Blodskur posted:

Some think it's EA.

Oh please god this and Troika

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Y'know, GoG had been on a drought of sorts of late, but this more than makes up for it

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
So, is there any way to mess around with DosBOX to get MOO2 to run a bit faster? Turns are starting to take longer 0.25s which is starting to get annoying

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ah MOO3...

Why did it have to be so bad...

I loved the idea of more macro as opposed to micro, I loved the huge galaxies, I loved new and interesting races (okay just the parasite things that every other race hated), I loved the idea of a galactic council run by aliens who don't really give a poo poo about anything, I loved how the new tactical combat looked and I loved the idea of more MOO, hell I even liked the new terraforming system and how different races had different planet requirements

Pity everything else sucked balls

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

MaliciousOnion posted:

Shadow Warrior is open source. hth

Shadow Warrior is open source, but the game assets aren't (like Freespace 2)

Speaking of which I can forgive gog a few lovely sequels especially when I've managed to play some pretty sweet games I never otherwise would have been able to (Sacrifice, Freespace, JA2 and some others)

Edit: If memory serves correctly, 3DR put Duke3D on gog before they went up in flames and made their own store, but neglected to add Shadow Warrior. Bastards

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
New game out: Enclave

I have no idea what it's about so go hog wild!

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Hell that is very loving surprising to have it up so soon. I'm considering buying it again just so I don't have to deal with the gamersgate downloader. I thought it was okay when I played it though, I was hoping for something a bit more HOMM (in terms of multiple heroes, towns,etc) and I just stopped at what point because defeating enemies just seemed a bit grindy (in terms of running around looking for someone to fight I would be fairly matched against) and I couldn't get enough troops

But I was really hoping for I-War 2 :smith:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Light-headed Fool posted:

As far as I've understood, only the engine is open source. The actual game contents are not. The game contents are not provided by the FS2 Source Code Project. Basically, you'll need a copy of the game. In my experience, the one provided by GoG functions perfectly.

Yeah, it works really well. With an extra 5min of downloading crap you can get the Hi-Def pack as well!

Edit: Someone sell Two Worlds to me (Although I probably wont play it for a while until I'm away from the internet or burn out on Minecraft and SC2)

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Looks like Raptor: Call of the Shadows is out.

This is loving brilliant

The only way this could be better was if there was an android port :smith:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The Commander Keen Pack is on Steam for just $5 and covers all five games (6 is still stuck in legal hell and likely will be forever), and Death Rally has a free updated Windows port now. Everything else you're on your own with.

I got Crystal Caves in a moment of weakness a while back, and I'm still tempted by Monster Bash and Terminal Velocity, but considering Raptor finally got a GOG release not long ago I have a feeling the rest will continue to show up there at a really slow trickle.

That depends, apparently the reason a lot of those haven't shown up on gog is due to some licence issues involving the original developers (Raptor for instance was developed by someone else, and published by Apogee).

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Yay! GoG has good games again and will make a bunch of sales!

But then steam will finally release Age of Wonders and no one will even look at GoG :smith:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

rt4 posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but their favicon is different now. Smells like redesign!

Yeah, my current guess is that gog has basically decided that owning the store frontend is a bit pointless, so they've tried to get on Steam/Impulse/Gamersgate and publish their games there. However, none of those parent companies are going to allow GoG to sell their games on their services with a competing website, so the website is pulled (and immediately due to some legalese)

At least that's what I hope :smith:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sudbina posted:

There's a new post on NeoGAF saying that some polish website has contacted GOG.com and was told that it was supposedly bought by one of it's competitors:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23435805&postcount=559

Of all the ways this could end, this is the best

In fact... It's almost a good thing

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

They could be having compatibility problems...

I'm having compatibility problems with them not releasing games! :argh:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
There's also a Lowtax reference in IWD2 if my memory serves me correctly

edit: drat this was IWD1 they released

Nanpa fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 6, 2010

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Cheap Trick posted:

The Temple of Elemental Evil is now available for $5.99. Get some more Dungeons & Dragons fun. :toot:

Never played ToEE but I'm excited

Because they're inching closer to Bloodlines!

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

Looks like NWN to me.

I hope its NWN, I'd love to go back and play a couple of the expansions and premium mods

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

The Kins posted:

Sale time! Strategy First's set.

Also, if you had an account before the "shutdown" you're getting Jagged Alliance Deadly Games (or another Strategy First game of your choice from a given list if you already have it) for free!

Oh sweet, groundfloor bonus!

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
To be fair, it does get them some exposure on deal blogs and the like

Awesome its usually the tipping factor that gets me to buy another game off gog that I probably wont even install for months

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Except one Aus Funbuck is nearly $1USD.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

AFAIK this is actually correct.

Also Doom is still really good, apart from a handful of utterly horrible maze levels, it's still fun.

I'm still trying to play through Blood atm, I'm on the 2nd episode. The difficulty has eased off a little, and the set pieces are nice but, I dunno, the game is starting to grate on me visually. The entire thing is made up of the same dingy browns and greys. It's a shame, because in terms of straight-up level design it kills DN3D, but DN3D always seemed to find some way to keep you entertained. I think that's mostly down to the radically different styles in levels from episode to episode. Both in how they look and play. Blood doesn't seem to have any of that.

It's sad, I got blood because all the goons were saying how great it was, and it was pretty fun. The difficulty was a bit much at times, but it still seemed pretty good. But I just couldn't get past the constant greys and browns (and I don't mind FO3/NV). I'll still happily replay Duke3D, especially the first episode.

Anyway, whats the verdict on The Guild? It always seems to get talked about and I've been tempted but no ones gotten me to pull the trigger yet (the screenshots look a bit divey)

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but there's an open-source Theme Hospital project here that looks interesting. Theme Hospital is one of the few games I would buy instantly if it came onto GOG, despite having the original discs...

Edit : Just tried it with the demo and it works perfectly apart from the fact it's limited by being the demo, I didn't even have to set screen resolution, just started it up, told it where to find the files and that's that. Time to go find the proper disc!

Okay, this sounds pretty good. Does the entire game work yet or is it just parts?

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Mr Right posted:

At least Microsoft's website works in Opera browser. :iceburn:

Shame I have no interest in their website though.

But GoG works fine in Opera :confused:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Mr Right posted:

The latest, and it's been like this since I emailed them many months ago so it's been like that for a while. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. Do you have the latest (or a recent) Opera installed? I've never been able to view a games pictures. The site loads fine but I just can't do much other than click basic links.

Oh, and Opera with GoG never worked on the University computers (I don't remember the OS) or my netbook which has Windows XP 32-bit so it isn't limited to one OS/system.

I should have the latest version, and I only ever get the occasional problem of when clicking games images instead of the screenshot I get a white line from when the image times out. Usually refreshing the page works

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

doctorfrog posted:

Not much of a surprise, that they're doing what they're supposed to be doing, but I suppose I can't completely fault them for having to pad out the thrills over two weeks.

And as for Sanitarium, I can't recommend it enough to a casual player. Good creepy fun, and I usually can't stand adventure games. It's one of those good old games that had a demo on those discs that shipped with Eidos games, that I never had a good enough reason to pin $40 on. Years later, I bought it for $10 in in a combo pack with Messiah, and neither of the games worked on XP. Happy to say Sanitarium works dandy on W7 from GOG.com.

That big surprise had better god drat be EA

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Half the fun of Space Quest was discovering each and every death, and the snarky responses.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Dark Reign 1 had a LOT of good features that I'm sad weren't picked up, like the unit orders/AI. You could set them to patrol or scout randomly, set variables like aggressiveness (whether to run away, run through, whether or not to fire first that sort of thing)

Pity the sequel was just an okay 3D RTS that was barely related to the first game

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Amethyst posted:

90,000 copies of grim fandango were sold in the year of it's release.

90,000. Saddest game failure ever, it really, really deserves a bigger audience.

EDIT: MAN I just booted the game up and the level of presentation and writing is so far beyond the majority of games even today.

It's strange that some of the best games to come out of the early noughties and nineties for PC were despite being critically acclaimed struggled commercially. Sacrifice, Freespace, Arcanum, etc

And yet there's still people buying them now realising just how much they missed out on

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Dominic White posted:

(Pandemic don't exist anymore),

That and EA bought them out, so it definitely won't be happening any time soon :smith:

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

The point is they didn't try. There was a seemingly excellent squad-based FPS game in progress called Alliance. Hasbro bought Microprose to make loving computer versions of boardgames so they poo poo-canned the project and team and cut their losses by making that cookie-cutter Unreal mod with the assets.

The saddest thing is that it's being made by Irrational. All they have to do is take SWAT4, change all the criminals to aliens and they'd have a perfect X-Com FPS (and then they can add in the rest of the other stuff).

But no we got the X-Files black goop travelled back in time to the 1960's and teamed up with generic shapes to... do something.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

The General posted:

How awesome is capitalism 2?

Depends, do you like management games? if so, yes. Just mute the music once you get sick of it

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Bats posted:

Yeah I think that's why I liked using the harpoon so much in this game, you got that nice lil window popup showing it sink into someone's face/neck etc. I always went for headshots with that drat thing, it was so good. drat, now I want to play it again. I wonder if I could find my disc...

Oh just shell out the $6

GoG wins again over goon laziness!

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
To anyone that's considering Evil Genius:
It's an okay game I guess, but it has nothing at all over Dungeon Keeper 1&2. A fun distraction at best, and if you're really into management/tycoon games you'd better find something else (Capitalism 2 is brilliant! Or even Dwarf Fortress). My personal pick of this sale is Lords of the Realm 2.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

It could still be EA! The Ultima series is all about time travel, outer space, other planets, and underworlds. Yeah, I'm delusional but ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, I'm still hoping for EA. Lucasarts is okay I guess, but it's got nothing on what will happen if the EA floodgates are opened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I was thinking about picking up the Capitalism games. Are they any good?

If you like management/business simulators, by all means yes. Just make sure you do the tutorial, without that it can be a bit difficult to figure out what to do. Also, it may take you a couple of tries to figure out what works, but the tutorial should show you a few set ups (just make sure you've figured out retailing at least)