Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Genpei Turtle posted:

This isn't strictly true. The bug was that the uninstaller wiped out the entire directory you told the installer to install Myth II into, instead of just the files that were installed. If you installed Myth II into its own folder and/or the default. If you installed Myth II in the root folder of the hard drive...you could wipe out everything on the disk. So it could theoretically be even worse than just nuking your Windows install, it just depended on where you put the game files.

Ruins of Myth Drannor's uninstaller was basically the same bug. It was a really bad bug in both cases, but only would do serious damage to your install under a specific set of circumstances.

Deltarune recently had the same issue. It sounds really threatening at first, but really isn't, unless you run your PC like a pigsty :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also you'd have to deliberately not pick the default /program files/gametitle location to install it, right?

Then again, my boss once tried to solve the problem of a slow laptop by deleting random files and folders he didn't think were needed, to clear space.

"System32? Eh, doesn't sound important..."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
MK4 is terrible, but the price is right. OHIMGONNATHROWYOUOVERTHERE!

I think I still have MK4strip somewhere, which you can use to unpack all the game's sounds and textures, and repackage them, so you can mod the game in ridiculous ways.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Playing Mass Effect before KOTOR, it's nuts to see how they cannibalized their own work to make ME.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem

Like, if these were physical games, I'd have TV people trying to clear a path to me by now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's loving nuts that stuff like that is legal, and one of the darker sides of digital distribution. I'm glad GoG lets you download installers.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/letsgameitout/status/1435640652189081605?s=19

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
To be fair, "no DRM" is GOG's thing, isn't it?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whoa, I never thought I'd see the day. The LoK community has done some amazing patchwork to get the original running on Windows 10, I wonder how GoG's version measures up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's funny that for as engaging as the series is, the gameplay is often pretty bad. Blood Omen is probably the cleanest, being kind of a topdown Zelda-like.

edit: hm, first foray into GOG's Blood Omen isn't good. After starting a new game, once the dialogue finishes, Kain just started endlessly swinging his sword and wouldn't respond to other controls.

It looks like the page where I got the patch to make the PC CD version playable (and add 60fps, better quality cutscenes, and subtitles) has also been changed to accomodate the GOG version!
https://verokster.blogspot.com/2018/05/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-gl-wrapper.html

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 30, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've sorted my Steam games in ones I've finished, ones I'm playing still and ones I haven't touched since buying. It was a real sobering experience that now keeps me from impulse buying so much (I currently own more games I haven't played than ones I have)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

Mine is impulse buying to a certain degree, but also a collector's drive as well. Another factor is that I take forever and try to 100% every game, and there are so many these days coming out so quickly from so many sources. Also, I keep going back and playing ToeJam & Earl from the Mega Drive, which is of course the greatest game of all time.

Yeah, so many of my purchases are "I'll want to play this - some day" and then I just play the same old games again.

A lot of my GOG purchases are from a squirrel mentality of wanting to have it in my library just in case I ever feel like playing it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Joe Chill posted:

It's because learning how to play new games takes effort and it gets tiring if you are going through a laundry list of games you haven't played before. Most of the time I play the same old games because I want to unwind and not be bothered to learn new mechanics.

:( yeah, there's also several probably great games I haven't touched because I want to take my time for them and feel reluctant to start, because my time is limited.

edit: I'm really whining about first world problems here

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 8, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

As the bombs are dropping, I sit safely in my fallout shelter. I look at the library of games that are amassed on a hard drive. It's finally time to play one of the Jagged Alliance games I bought on GOG, so many years ago.

Then suddenly the monitor breaks in a matter I know that can't be fixed. That's not fair. That's not fair at all!

There was time now. There was... was all the time I needed...

There's a knock at the vault door. I open, brandishing my knife. A dessicated ghoul of a man lies on the ground before me.

"Please..." he croaks "Blade Runner... I have to play it..."

An oily smile appears on my face as I put my knife away. "I'll see what I can do, my friend."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sanitarium as giveaway, it's a great point & click adventure if you haven't played it yet (great to go in blind too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

It was well received, I just didn't like the focus on named villains, cutscenes, and forced story beats. Original X-COM was, to me, a techno thriller about fighting the unknowable with expendable assets, and this is about as far from that as you can get.

I can relate to that, it felt kind of dizzying being bombarded with prompts and having the characters talk constant poo poo in saturday morning cartoon dialogue.

I was a little disappointed to find War of the Chosen was just more DLC woven through the original XCOM 2 game, I was expecting a campaign set after it. Would've felt less busy that way too.