Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Constantine XI posted:

Something tells me $10 is a little overpriced considering I can buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape in one pack at Wal Mart for the same price.

You'd rather support walmart than these cool guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Casao posted:

That was my point.

You must have meant former, because the latter in this case was indicating an itunes-like one download policy.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sierra would be aces. I have a copy of the QFG collection and I still can't get either the DOS or Windows version of 4 working properly in XP. John Rhys-Davies :(

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GrandpaPants posted:

This just popped up in the Steam thread:

Kinda takes the thunder out of having the Ubisoft games on GOG.

Wow, talk about calculated moves, huh?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Megarace was that futuristic car racing game framed as a game show, right? Oh man, I spent days playing that. I never even knew there were sequels!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lil sartre posted:

Can you give away or sell your GoG account/games or is it like Steam? I got 2 games, Giants and Toca3, that I don't play anymore. BTW Giants is awesome

Well, technically there is no DRM on the GoG games, so...

But you shouldn't give them away because it's not nice and selling them would be illegal.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

teethgrinder posted:

I didn't feel cheated by the Ultimas and Doom 1 vs. 2s since there was so much content and fun to be had. I would have been irritated if they kept doing it for years though.

Rethink this statement. Would you really have been irritated if you got another Doom 2 instead of Doom 3? :v:

Of course, in my opinion Painkiller is the REAL Doom 3, so...

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Overwined posted:

Well if there's one thing you can say about Painkiller is that it doesn't try to be anything it's not. I agree that for all intents and purposes it could have just warped you to the next level rather than making you walk down some hallway to have a door closed behind you, but it's a small issue. I don't think Painkiller is ashamed of being an unadulterated murder-fest.

You're right that Doom at least should have aspired to more. Personally I think Doom 3 should have been a slightly dumbed down version of SS2 with the RPG elements removed but still with the intense psychological thrill. Obviously it wasn't there.

So you think Doom 3 should have been Bioshock but better? :v:

But really, Painkiller has more to do with Doom than SS did. Doom is about killing lots of dudes and being a badass. SS, while awesome, is not really about that.

edit: and finding secrets, Doom is also about finding secrets.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Isn't that like suing a dead person for breach of contract, though?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Reb posted:

Apparently because Interplay had a box out that was called "Fallout Trilogy" and people got confused and brought the box thinking it had Fallout 3 in it or something.

Goddamn are people stupid then. It's got a freakin picture of Tactics on it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plavski posted:

It's highly likely those issues are related to Battle.net incompatibilities and lack of internal support for the multiplayer aspects.

Diablo still works on bnet. I tried to play it a while back but it hates XP with a passion. It can go online before it crashes horribly, though. I would be unsurprised if the two warcrafts still work as well.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Painkiller regrettably does not have co-op, but BUY IT ANYWAY. Possibly the best gaming decision you will ever make.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope it's not Deus Ex since I already have that on Steam. Getting something I can't get anywhere else is why I like GoG so much.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wait... sierra?

Like, :qfg: sierra?

Give me a version of QFG4 that works without show-stopping bugs. Do it. Doitdoitdoitdoit.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AxeManiac posted:

I have an unopened full size boxed copy of it, along with an opened one and still buying this one. Check out the thread on it, it NEEDS to be fan patched/modded to enjoy it best.

Also play a retarded dwarf or orc on it at least once.

Is this one of those games like Fallout/2 that has an idiot path?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Grawl posted:

You make it sound like you think the two games are related. Please don't tell me you think that.

Now I wish they were!

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

doctorfrog posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 on a flash drive, you say?

You also can't do this with Steam:

(That's all my GOG games installable from DVD :smug:)

That said, I do have quite a few games on Steam as well, but I'd buy them on GOG if I could.

Well, it's not the same thing, but you can make (encrypted) backup files from steam games that will let you reinstall games without redownloading them.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Random Stranger posted:

While I won't buy downloadable things that use DRM I would be willing to pay for a Netflix style service that used that kind of intrusive DRM; the key is always in giving me something (a huge library of play any time I want games) in exchange for the irritation of the structure and keeping the price at something appropriately low.

So... you would use Gametap?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Overwined posted:

It's ahh....not a very good service. Good idea, pretty crappy execution. I have a funny feeling that idea will come again in a better package.

I don't know what you're talking about it was awesome just for Twinkle Star Sprites.

That's pretty much all I ever played on it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Overwined posted:

EDIT: Bust-a-Move > Twinkle Star Sprites

Maybe but I can get a console copy of a BaM game a lot easier than I can TSS. Was TSS ever even released on a console?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, if they really ARE shutting down, surely it wouldn't be wrong to distribute the DRM-free files, right? :)

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Node posted:

If their site was hacked by SHODAN to intoduce System Shock 1/2 on gog it would be the dumbest marketing stunt ever.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

It would be the best because I got that to work on my last computer but cannot make it work on this one. :(

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Adam Bowen posted:

People say stuff like this all the time and I'm not sure why. Do you actually believe for a second that this is true? That their contracts with all their publishers would allow them to just shut down their DRM? If Steam disappears, your games will be gone, and you'll be completely SOL. That's it.

They say it because Valve has said before that they would distribute something to allow people to continue playing their purchases. I don't know if this was a DRM removal tool or just perhaps a fake Valve authentication server that you might run in the background or what.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Methodis posted:

Gaben isn't going to live forever. One of these days, another person is going to be in charge of Valve, and they could do anything they want with it.

If Valve outlives its founders, I think we're safe for the foreseeable future.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Gabe is not a healthy man.

Haha yeah cheeseburgers get in my stomach - gaben :rolleyes:

You don't think they'd rather hand over the reins to someone already inside the company who wants to keep things the way they are?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Novolin posted:

Even if they don't you can bet that there will be some :filez: site with a no steam crack that would work.

I'm pretty sure that steam games already do get pirated, so of course that's always an option.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Methodis posted:

You've apparently never heard of the Activision Blizzard merger and all the shenanigans involved with the former.

I missed the part where Activision completely changed the method of access to Blizzard software, so I guess not?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xythar posted:

Can't you already play Steam games in offline mode without needing to stay connected to the authentication server? I imagine it'd just be perma-offline mode, seems feasible since the only actual DRM in Steam is needing to run the games through Steam and you don't need to be online for that.

Also this sucks, I kept meaning to get HOMM3 from GOG but never got around to it :(

That's a good point. All they need to do is say "hey guys we are shutting down here's a week, connect one last time to turn on Offline Mode, it's been good."

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Methodis posted:

I meant the point where you said "You don't think they'd rather hand over the reins to someone already inside the company who wants to keep things the way they are?".

A merger/acquisition is different from (is Gabe the CEO, I don't even know) the CEO dying though.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Malkar posted:

You've apparently never heard of the difference between a privately-held company and a publically-shared one.

I thought Valve was public. Are they not? Even better.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sudbina posted:

Privately held by Gaben. It use to be co-owned by Gaben and Mike Harrington, but Harrington left the industry and sold off his share of the company to Gaben.

Well, there you go. I would be incredibly surprised if he didn't actually have the company willed to someone he trusts in the event that tomorrow's second breakfast kills him.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Random Stranger posted:

Saying they'll remove the DRM is one of those easy things to say when you're trying to sell someone on the service and pretty much impossible to do when it comes time to pull the trigger. The people who said they would won't be the ones making the decisions when that time comes; it'll be lawyers and managers at another company.

Yeah, but it's not like Steam is exactly unpopular. It's more likely that Gabe would pass ownership willingly to someone else rather than have to sell it to another company to avoid massive debt.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Am I the only one who's just happy they're not going away?

i love you gog :unsmith:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favorite dungeons and dragons game is system shock 2 get on it already gog

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wonder if I can get a MacGuffin from the local McDonalds after breakfast hours.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just remembered another reason they need to get EA on board. Old Maxis games. I would kill a man, perhaps two, to be able to play SimAnt and the original SimCity again. Two for each game. Especially SimCity because all the new stuff is too complicated for me. :downs:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dramicus posted:

I don't think SimCity 4 is immensely more complicated than SimCity 1, the basics are all there and it wouldn't be a huge chore to learn the new features one at a time.

I Don't Like It And It's Not Fun

Give me my G O G

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This doesn't even make sense.

They're saying that the rush isn't new people buying new games or even old people buying new games, but that it's all or mostly old people downloading old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZeeBoi posted:

*site goes down with cryptic message*

I would be genuinely amused by this.