Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

On the other hand, is Simon 3D worth the extra 3 dollars? Just Simon 1 and 2 make it $12 total while the 3D installment looks terrible. I'm genuinely asking because I will most likely buy at least Simon 1 and 2, eventually, and I've only played Simon 1 yet never finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Looks like the first new one is Empire Interactive!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Teenagent for $0. Oh, yes. :)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well, that Duke offer just got me. Manhattan Project was great fun while Duke 3D is one of the greatest things ever. That game was the first time places looked pretty much like real world in a 3D game let alone an FPS, and the coolness didn't stop there. Also probably the first game I played multiplayer in LAN.

edit after playing for about 15 minutes: I'm very surprised by how enjoyable Duke3D is without using any modern enhancements; everything I needed was in the old Setup. I set the controls right for my modern thinking (WASD keys, "inverted" mouse Y-axis), General Midi instead of Soundblaster as the music card (gently caress I love the soundtrack), and the 800x600 maximum resolution is certainly enough with the original textures and sprites. Preconfigured Dosbox is making it all nice and hassle-free for me. I'm loving it.

edit 2: Can I disable the vertical autoaiming somewhere? Kinda too easy right now since I'm mouselookin'

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 26, 2009

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Just use eduke32. You can run it so it looks and plays almost exactly like the original duke with the bonus of it running a hell of a lot better and having non-gimped mouselook. You can turn autoaiming off too.
Yep, already done this and it's good. Also nice to have wide-screen support.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

edit: not this thread argh

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: the incredible machine mega pack for :10bux:
Argh I'm so close to buying this, almost only for the soundtrack extras. Sweet jesus I loved these games or the first one anyway.

edit: And Tex Murphy too. Sigh. Trying real hard not to buy anything

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I guess I'll buy Riven again, like now. I never actually finished it but I always considered it a really beautiful, weird giant of a game. Having the convenience of not needing to swap 5 loving CDs or disc images as it is (especially that the game isn't very linear and you need to be going from island to island/disc to disc all the time) is cool.

I guess they've done quite some re-encoding to stuff since the download's only 1.6 GB :?:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh hell. I could get like them all but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm almost ready to buy The Longest Journey for the third time: already have it as retail and on Steam. But there's like a million crazy deals for $3.60 which is practically free. And then again I should save for the Steam sale. :downs:

edit: Actually I think I can prevent myself from buying anything. There's nothing I really want right now.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 21, 2009

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Is the site down for the rest of you? I needed to re-download Riven but I guess I'm outta luck right now.

edit: Back again.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 22, 2009

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Overwined posted:

I remember the graphics being somewhat subpar even at release. However, it's the first game I can recall where the cars "felt" like they had actual suspension systems that affected steering in dramatic ways. Maybe it wasn't "right" but it was the first game that felt right to me.
I can say I've never enjoyed any driving game's keyboard controlling more than I did Driver's.

And it had the best chases ever; GTA has never come even close in the intensity and fun of being chased. It went completely overboard ridiculous in the last mission though where the cops suddenly became Kamikaze pilots ramming you at sonic speeds.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sierra games on GOG would be awesome. I'd buy the Gabriel Knight trilogy in a heartbeat (among other things).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

It has the best soundtrack of any game and if you don't believe me just download it here

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/media/media-soundtrack.html (it's legal)
So uh do those ftp.sierra.com links work for you guys?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Try this one
Cool, thanks. Never played it but (almost) whenever someone recommends a music I have to check it out.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zat (2 days ago) posted:

Sierra games on GOG would be awesome. I'd buy the Gabriel Knight trilogy in a heartbeat (among other things).
:neckbeard: This is freaking sweet.

To whoever was asking, Gabriel Knight 1 is very close to the top of my all time best adventures list. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis wins just barely. The puzzles are tough and sometimes (but quite rarely) you can die, but the game is really nicely balanced, the story is awesome, you get to explore some awesome New Orleans places and I just love it so much.

I'm definitely going to buy all 3 GK games should the rest of them appear on GOG too.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Gabriel Knight needs the comic book as an extra. In best nutcase scenario they'd even have the multi-hundred-page novel as a PDF but I guess that's not that likely. Hopefully they'll add stuff like that later on, anyway.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So I wonder when GOG gets rid of the "Beta" text in the top-left banner... You'd think they're 1.0 by now.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I love this site more and more. GOG posted a really nice editorial about the Gabriel Knight series and the first installment in particular. People who are on the edge about getting GK1 should read it for sure: http://www.gog.com/en/editorial/month_of_activision_gabriel_knight_retrospective/

I would like to see more in-depth articles about the games and developers featured on GOG.com. Stuff like this makes you believe they care about what they're doing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Weedle posted:

I'm curious, has anyone ever run across a game that actually stores save data in the Saved Games folder in Vista/7? I own close to 200 PC games and I have never, ever seen one that actually uses that folder. It's the one thing that's consistent across the board.
Looking at there, apparently Halo 2 and Tom Clancy's HAWX do.

edit: Except, apparently only HAWX actually has the saves there.

Halo 2 on the other hand, creates four separate folders all around the place, in addition to the actual program folder:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Halo 2 <-- this is where the actual saved games appear to be
C:\Users\[user]\Saved Games\Halo 2
C:\Users\[user]\Documents\My Games\Halo 2
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Game Studios\Halo2

That I could call obnoxious cluttering.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 10, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

quick question. I just bought a game off of GOG and I got a screen for Mastercard Securecard that was supposely sponsered by my bank. I didn't do it. Just wondering if anyone else saw that and if its legit, or if someone was trying to scam me.
It's the "Verified by Visa" check. I always get it too and no scams so far.

edit: Or the MasterCard equivalent, of course.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 10, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

frowning posted:

I wonder if they'll drop any of the more anticipated games, like what are the odds of I76 appearing?
..and to all others waiting for Interstate '76, there's good news. Coming soon, for $5.99!

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/interstate_%E2%80%9976_arsenal

It's even got its own forum done! http://www.gog.com/en/forum/interstate_76_arsenal/__/693637200/

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within is now on GOG for $5.99.
Buying the poo poo out of this although I have the original discs and stuff. Hell, I actually only recently played through it using DOSBox, and drat does the game still own. Everyone needs to get on this because it's one of the best adventure games and probably the only really good all-FMV game ever. The story is maybe even better than that of GK1.

The price is really good too unlike Phantasmagoria's. Just buy it.

edit:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: Would I be missing anything if I skipped GK1 and go straight to 2? (Plot wise, that is.)
You'll be missing on a great story that is GK1, but no, everything important about your past does get explained along the way.

Oh and I heartily recommend the unofficial subtitle patch cause the game doesn't natively have subs.

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 23, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Gabriel Knight 1 (though it's kind of hard to get into, given that I keep getting popping sounds in the audio)
Did you try setting sbtype=sb16 (instead of 'sb1') in dosboxGK.conf? Helped me.

Also, I don't know if it did much but I changed the "rate" and "oplrate" values from 22050 to 44100 and no more sound issues after those changes.

Disclaimer: Note that the actual quality not to mention volume of the recorded dialogue vary quite a lot during the game. At random times, there just are some crackling and pops in the speech and you can't do anything about it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Gabriel Knight 3 is now on GOG for $5.99.
Holy poo poo. Everyone just buy this, especially if you loved the earlier ones. I dunno, this is sometimes my favourite part of the series. Awesome story once again.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I don't know, that puzzle is SO horribly bad and retarded the mere fact it exists in that game has to mean that game is poo poo.
However, the game is great. I didn't even think the puzzle was too bad when I first played it, the thought struck me afterwards. It really is one of worst if not the worst puzzle in the history of adventure games but the game contains some of the best ones as well, in my opinion. Just like its predecessors, it's a really well written mystery and most of the puzzles are logical and good, and you feel good when you figure them out.

Also it's worth repeating, the soundtrack is loving perfect. Even the abandoned and replaced theme (called "Old Theme" as some mp3) is awesomeness. *The actual main theme works better though.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 11, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Crow T Bard posted:

In Gabriel's book store, there is a book on one of the shelves full of German poety. The title of the poem he read is "Drei Drachen" or three dragons in english which you find out from a german to english book nearby. Yeah, this puzzle is pretty unfair.
Also you have the grandpa's painting of three snakes in the shop, and another book on the shelf tells you that snakes and dragons are basically the same thing, so there you got another clue.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

What a fantastic weekend deal this time. I don't think I'll be buying TLJ for the third time (already have it physically and on Steam) but Sanitarium is an insta-buy for that price. Never managed to play that one and I've only heard good things about it.

For anyone who doesn't own TLJ, that deal is a no-brainer as well. It's one of my roughly top 3 adventure games all time. I say go for it, everyone.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Syberia is now on GOG for $9.99. Syberia 2 and Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy are coming soon for the same price.
These are all pretty great games although they're still quite well available (well, Syberias anyway) and I don't think they have any issues with modern systems to start with. The Syberias definitely need a reduced package price because $20 is not that great for both of them, also Amerzone should definitely be in the $5.99 category in my mind.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Outcast was spectacularly buggy at release, I couldn't even start the installation without a patch. :v:

In the end it got its patches though, and what an awesome game it ended up being.

The graphics were a really confusing mix of completely ugly and some of the most beautiful graphics you'd ever seen. The characters were ugliest ever, the processors at the time required you to practically play it with a VGA resolution, but on the other hand the world was vast, with hills and poo poo, and it looked so beautifully natural (voxels etc) it was quite unprecedented. And then there was the water, you wouldn't see anything like that again until like 2006 or something. You'll understand when you see it.

Oh and they better get the music in working order as it was all just played from the CD as standard Red Book audio. The soundtrack was quite spectacular while a bit repetitive.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I don't think I ever finished Amerzone but it had a really nice atmosphere. It is basically Myst meets Syberia, but I guess easier than either. Can't really make an opinion since it's been so long since I played it and like I said, didn't finish.

What's up with the prices though, just like the Syberias, :10bux: is a bit too much. 5.99 would've been exactly what I'd pay for something like this.

I know I bought it for less than $10 around seven years ago.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Once the site gets back to life, Outcast is a goddamn must-buy for that price.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Gashroom posted:

In case anyone is wondering: according to gog.com forums, Outcast has functional audio (the original used CD audio).
Yeah, that is great because the score is quite spectacular, while a bit repetitive (because there's not very much of it).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

Kikkoman posted:

I bought The Longest Journey and Sanitarium way back when they last went on sale, and I just started TLJ tonight. It's really gorgeousand the voice acting has been top notch so far. The only nagging thing about the game so far is that the characters don't move too quickly, so it can feel like a drag, especially right after having played some of those Sierra games where you can make your guy move at light speed.
I think you can double click on the exits to auto-warp but don't quote me on this because it's been a while.
As long as you have "Enable Time Skip" checked in the Settings, you can press Esc to skip a few seconds of time, e.g. when you're walking across a frame. I use it pretty extensively whenever I play.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cantaloupe posted:

^^
Another world is 144MB and $10, while Arcanum is 1GB and $6.
Gabriel Knight 2 is a 2.4 GB download and yet $6. I'd say this myth's busted.

edit: Hell, Advent Rising is 4 gigs but 6 bux.

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 7, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I would kill for these. I remember playing FEAR when the multiplayer was free and it ran horribly. I'd love to be able to play it above ~10 FPS.
You guys make me feel pretty good about the fact that I found a good-as-new second hand copy of F.E.A.R. for the price of 1 euro, just two days ago. :smug: I never even managed to try the drat game back in the day.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BigJoe posted:

What I wouldn't do to get a playable version of Porche Unleashed. :(
This is literally the only Need For Speed game I've played for a total of more than a few minutes, and I loved it so much. In EU it was called "NFS: Porsche 2000" for some reason.

The Porsche test driver career mode was awesome as hell. I would probably buy it again although the graphics look less than stellar by now.

edit: :gonk: Oh god.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

That poo poo looked so good back in the day. Now, not so much.

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 12, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: Complete the Gabriel Knight collection for 30% off it all, or the an individual game for 15% off the price.
*Ding* and that's a deal. I knew I'd buy 'em all eventually while initially I only bought part 1. Got 'em all in nice boxes around somewhere but hey, GOG all the way. :) Perfect sale for me.

I love GK!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, the first one is very easy to get running. Search for Gabriel Knight Win XP installer, and it'll take care of it. Note that the installer will also work on the GOG release, which will make the game run in the slightly superior Windows version.
That poo poo don't work on 64-bit Windows though. (But for everyone else, it's here.)

This site will help getting the GK's going on DOSBox: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GKSeriesHelp.html

However I recommend everyone just shovel their moneys at GOG's direction for the great service they're providing. :)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Funny. Outside of the deflating inner-tube puzzle in the first area, TLJ was mostly a breeze for me. If anything about that game's design annoyed me it was that I spent much longer listening to or reading dialogue than anything else.

It's been a while. Can you just speed read the text and skip all the precious voice acting?
Oh most certainly. I think you skip the rest of a line by right-clicking on the subtitle area or something like that. And that's definitely a game that needed that function. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

I seem to recall a weird puzzle against that wizard that had to deal with a calculator or something. It's been almost a decade but I really, really remember this super obscure puzzle where the solution was an obtuse dialog choice.
What, this was an awesome little puzzle.

Just like the magnetized screwdriver passed as a magic wand at the market, you give the wizard your calculator because his mind will be blown by its satanic omniscience. The former puzzle solution made the latter quite logical. The issue, though, is that you can't do this via the actual dialog choices which are a diversion, you'll need to look up the calculator from your inventory. That's how you trigger the maths duel.

You can only beat magic with science!

edit: I just cannot type.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 21, 2010