Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I look forward to Good Old Games' rebirth as OldAndMoreRecentGamesOfVaryingQuality.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, I will keep not backing then up for a while.

I dont have that much space to waste and one of the advantages of a service like this is that it allows you to redownload the game anytime you want, so you wont have to keep disks or backups in you HD.

Have you looked at external hard drives anytime in the last couple of years? There really is no legimate excuse to not own one, considering the amount of gigs you get for your bucks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I hope they used their "downtime" to upgrade their server farm, because their bandwidth is gonna get raped tomorrow. Even though they are alive and kicking, I'm going ahead with archiving all the installers, manuals, soundtracks, wallpapers, avatars, screensavers and desktop icons

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Low in functionality, but easy on the eyes.

e;f,b by gog.com

e;f,b #2 by the server melting down

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You should probably explain that Lost Coast is not a pricey stand-alone product, but that it's the price for the Valve complete pack. Unless you wanted to intentionally mislead people, in which case: by all means, continue!

Still waiting for Operation Flashpoint GOTY Edition to become available again (they no longer have the license to sell it). At this rate, I may have to contact their support department in the near future. How outrageous! :arghfist: :f5:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

macnbc posted:

Doesn't GOG normally post their weekend sales by now?

I wonder if they're skipping one this week.

They haven't even send a e-mail about their new site or Baldur's Gate yet, so I wouldn't be surprised by that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Nalin posted:

I have my doubts that it will ever become available again. Bohemia Interactive and Codemasters just don't get along with each anymore. At all. And, they both own the rights to OpFlash, so I think you can see the problem forming. I'm happy I grabbed it from GoG when I did. It sits next to TOCA 3 on my GoG bookshelf.

Oh, I bought it from GOG when it was available too. The thing is that all the OpFlash downloads currently give you a 404. That was (supposed to be) the gist of my previous post.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Threep posted:

Isn't this added by Tales of the Sword Coast anyway?

I still remember using coordinates to find certain items when I played vanilla BG1+TotSC a couple years ago. So... I'm not really sure.

Farquar posted:

How randomized is the loot in Icewind Dale? I feel like I would give it more of a chance if I knew there was some roguelike randomness in it.

To expand on this: certain mobs and chest/containers have random item(s) alongside guaranteed drops. For example, here's the lootlist for the first elite mob you encounter (taken from Dan Simpson's excellent IWD FAQ).
code:
      Knucklehead Trout
      Short Bow
      12gp
      Dagger
      RANDOM ITEM      - High Quality Morning Star
      (any 1 of these)   High Quality Dagger
                         Potion of Healing
                         Splint Mail
It's no Diablo, but it definitely adds a random element to the game.

Edit: also, GOG status report: Operation Flashpoint GOTY Edition is again downloadable for those that purchased it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 28, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think PS:T is the only game on GOG so far that I will instantly buy, download and install. Chances are, it will be the first game from GOG I'll finish too!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 28, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Heh, part of the additional content is the PS:T script adapted to book form. It's a novelty item, but it's nice of them to include it.

Edit: ^^^ there you have your answer. It's a fanmade thing, not the licensed adaption that takes liberties with the story.
Edit 2: here's where you can also get the book.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 28, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ansob. posted:

I'm not 100% sure if the UI mod of tweakpacks from my link will work with GOG's PS:T so trip report please.

I've had no problems so far, but I haven't played further than the morgue. I'm also quickly pleased, 1024x768 and 20% bigger text is good enough for me. One of the mod installers recognized GOG's PS:T as the "4CD edition".

Edit: one of the widescreen mod's readme files recommends against installing the game in the program files directory. Since the installer is setup as "program files/gog.com/planescape torment" by default, that might be good to know ahead of time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 28, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Welp, just spent more than 2 hours browsing games for the screenshot contest. I like how I found screenshot #9 last, even though the graphics pretty much give it away. Also #7 is painfully misleading. A hint: it's not a RPG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Here's the essential mod with bugfixes, tweaks and other neat stuff. Be sure to read the documentation though:
http://www.gibberlings3.net/daletweak/

And since someone will undoubtly ask:
- One way to access the HoW content is by talking to a barbarian in a shack in Kuldahar. However, your party needs to be a certain level before you can go.
- You can also finish the IWD campaign and import those characters to an Expansion Only game. I recommend you do this.
- Trials of the Luremaster is a mini-expansion for HoW. You can start it by talking to a character in the inn of the HoW starting area. TotL takes places in a seperate area which can't leave until you finish it's main quest. I suggest waiting with Totl until you've visited the barbarian camp a second time.

Also, put a Druid in your party. Their summons and area of effect spells are great.

Ansob. posted:

I have actually never finished IWD, and never played IWD2. Which of the two is the best?

IWD2 has a lot more features, but it's definitely a lot less polished. IWD is an allround better game.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 6, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Besides my love for Druids in IWD, I also liked a multiclassed Fighter/Thief and Ranger/Cleric.

Another thing that works quite well is a dual-classed fighter/mage. Start out with 2 or 3 levels of Fighter and then switch to Mage.

Also, your party doesn't have to consist of 6 characters. Earned experience is divided equally, so with less mouths to feed your party will level quicker and be stronger. Definitely something worth considering if you are familiar with D&D games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ansob. posted:

It's not difficult, it's arbitrary. As in, it will randomly kill you for no reason without giving you the option to do anything and you'll have to reload. :v:

What are you talking abo...

quote:

Talk to Shoal, who will ask for your help, ensuring the nominated spokesman is not your main character. She will then kiss that party member. The kiss will kill the recipient. Attack her until she talks to you again. She will restore your companion in exchange for helping her by killing an Ogre Mage.

(main character dies = instant game over, for those who don't know Baldur's Gate)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

last I heard, the VTM:Bloodlines patch had run out of things to do and the author had resorted to randomly changing the locations of characters and items for no good reason, that might have been what he was referring to

I think the fan patches for VtM:B have pretty much always done that. The last time I played the game, I had a patch with the option to go for the essential things or "plus" which was rife with changes like that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

System Shock 2

j/k, it's actually Pizza Tycoon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

*owns all 5 Jagged Alliance games on GOG*
*has never even installed one of them*

Here's the alternate gifts I can choose from:

Which of the Disciples titles would people recommend?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 20, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Passion for Dilbert posted:

Get Sacred Gold :rolleye:

Already own it on Steam, same with Ghost Master. Guess I'll go with Disciples 2 Gold. I look forward to installing it... somewhere near the end of this decade, probably.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Cooter Libby posted:

Just to repeat what's been said a million times, don't make the mistake I did and play through the main campaign! It's a glorified tech demo. It's boring and tedious and you say to yourself "This is Dungeons & Dragons, it's going to get better!" when it never does. I had a blast with the two expansions though!

Furthermore, a character that played through SoU (XP #1) is ideal to import into HotU (XP #2). And if you don't think your character is strong enough for that, there are some modules to bridge the gap. Edit: the links go 404, but since you've got the names finding a download shouldn't be hard.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 27, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Icewind Dale II Adventure Pack?!

Mobygames posted:

A special gift given by the publishers of the core game Icewind Dale II. This little package includes some extra stuff for the game in a Bonus CD, which contains more special items and more. It also includes a two-sided poster with a list of the enemies around the game and artwork, as well as a set of limited edition character trading cards with some artwork.

The Icewind Dale II: Adventure Pack was free of charge with a pre-order of Icewind Dale II, and afterwards it was also given away with the Collector's Edition purchase in some online stores.

Sounds like the addition of "Complete" is a bit silly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I have no idea how you can say that audio of the PC version isn't that much better than the SNES one. If you're only familiar with the SNES version, you only know a crippled soundtrack.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Don't get me wrong, the image makes an amusing point, but I'm not sure that running around checking every nook and cranny for keys is exactly superior gameplay.

As someone who is currently plowing through Redneck Rampage and it's expansions, I couldn't agree more with this.
Duke 3D (same engine) has coloured keycards and buttons/switches that stand out. RR has skeleton keys that all look alike and the doors don't visually tell you if they are locked and which key you need. The game has a grimey look with buttons/switches/valves/ladders that don't stand out. The limited visibility in underwater and underground sections isn't helping much either.

The worst offender is the sewer level in RR's first episode. You end raising the water level so you can swim across to a small platform. Here you have turn around 180 degrees, look up and shoot the switch that is there. IN NO OTHER PART OF THE GAME DO YOU NEED TO LOOK UP OR DOWN.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 10, 2010

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

dflanny posted:

That sewer level sucked. I had to look that bit up in a walkthrough. I have no idea how you were supposed to figure that out, except for pure luck. It was very unintuitive.

I'm playing the Suckin' Grits expansion atm. The level design so far has been a lot better.

Agreed. It's kinda obvious that it's just a levelpack created by a different team while the original developers were working on Rides Again. But what the levels lack in creativity is made up by the sheer lack of frustration while playing the levels. I'm about halfway and I've yet to consult a walkthrough.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think you can pick a kit or change class when importing. However, you can just import a character, save and use Shadowkeeper to edit that save file.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

I wish they would put the Witcher up, I never played it.

They'll probably put it up about 2 months before the sequel is due. It also wouldn't surprise me if it'll be free for people who pre-purchase.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The AI in Ghost Recon can be hit and miss. They're pretty good at covering your back, but you shouldn't trust them with completing an objective. The first mission is a pretty good example of this: if you direct an AI controlled squad into the cave where the enemy leader is hiding, there will be casualties. In any close quarters situation, you'll definitely want to be taking the lead.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Dudley posted:

It's also 15gb. I mention this only because that surprised me.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of that is bonus material from the Enhanced Edition (specifically, both music CD's and the Making Of DVD).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Apogee games weekend sale

quote:

With the release the highly anticipated Duke Nukem Forever being right behind the corner we figured out it's about time to give everyone who haven't finished the awesome Duke Nukem 3D one more chance. And if we're discounting Duke we decided to launch a promo on all Apogee games including Rise of the Triad, Duke's adventures on Manhattan and the space struggles of Blake Stone. So if you buy the whole pack or complete the collection of all Apogee games on GOG, you will receive a 50% discount! But if you're only interested in some of the games from this offer, you can grab them with a 20% discount. The promo ends on Monday, February 7 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.

Just a heads up: ROTT hasn't aged all that well, but depending on how much nostalgia you got YMMV.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think it's so much the graphics that make the game outdated, it's more the level design.
It's just so... bizarre (spinning blades, moving lava pillars and floating platforms oh my) and needlessly confusing at times.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

What can I expect from Blood over the other games of its time?

Varied level design and ridiculously fun weapons. I think those are the main reasons the game still holds up today.

e;f,b because I didn't :f5:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

Real edit: The soundtrack to this is pretty rockin'

gently caress yeah.

Bought Guilty Gear without hesitation. Chances that I'll ever install it are pretty slim, but hey... that's piracy redemption for ya.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 7, 2011

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Well, there's always a chance that it's Desperados.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think it used to be the case that you had to purchase those free games before they showed up on your account. I remember receiving receipts for them in my inbox. Maybe they changed it for new accounts at some point.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

What game made monsters afraid of you?

Remember that all of these refer to games published by Atari or companies bought out by it. Note that one of these refers to The Witcher.

The Witcher is this last one. During the game either Geralt or one of his fellow Witchers makes the point that they're seen as nothing more than monster hunters, even though they deal with a whole lot more.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

...except that if you actually do that, your entire party will be instakilled, in a single round, from off screen, by a randomly spawned group of archers and mages, because you had the audacity to wander off the road.

...and then I kicked him in the head until he was dead. Ha-ha-ha!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I actually played Normality back in the day! :monocle:
I wasn't an adventure game enthusiast, but I still enjoyed it. It's got this oddball mixture of Orwell's 1984 and early 90's MTV/Beavis & Butthead going on. It definitely has wacky adventure game logic at times, but I don't remember being stuck for hours.

...with the exception of one section which I'm not even going to spoilertag because it involves the developers being dicks.
At one point you're in a locker room. Now if you move your mouse over the lockers the word "locker" will appear and remain hovering at the same position, even if you move from locker to locker. In the rest of the game this would mean that all the lockers are treated as a single item/background piece. Not here though, since ONE of the lockers can be opened and it contains items you'll need later on. If you have your cursor on a different locker and try to open it, nothing will happen and you'll most likely move on. Only to be horribly stuck later on.

There's a clue will tells you which locker to open: there's a graffiti arrow pointing at the right one. It may seem obvious in retrospective, it definitely wasn't to the 12 year old me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

vvvv what sequels? Steam only seems to have this one, too.

The Men of War games (and also Faces of War) are by the same developer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Way

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think Redneck Rampage and Rise of the Triad are really games you need to have played back in the day to enjoy them currently. Both have really obtuse and weird level design at times and on a whole they benefit a lot from rose-tinted glasses.

Now Blood on the other hand: never played it years ago, but that game is still good (although hard as nails at times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

SOMEBODY HIT THE EMERGENCY PAROLE BUTTON!
(don't click that if you plan on playing Anachronox in the near future)