Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Thanks, GOG. I just bought 3 RPGs I owned at some point to start several times and likely never finish. Woe is me. WOOOOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

duckfarts posted:

Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

This can't be emphasized enough. One of a handful of game soundtracks I listen to regularly.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Rabhadh posted:

What are the other ones?

A few that come to mind:

Fallout 1 & 2
Quake 1
PPPPPP
Few good tracks on the Ico soundtrack
Doesn't really count, but everything by The Advantage

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I bought Hardwar a while back on Dotemu, but I can't get it running on my Win7 machine. Anyone else having issues? Or should I scope out the Hardwar thread, wherever it may be?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

doctorfrog posted:

Anyone who likes open world space sims should hold their nose on the graphics and get Hardwar on DotEmu today, because it's pretty great, and because it's just a drat dollar.

Yes! Also, read the Lonely Mushroom LP.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
What's the word on Nexuiz? Looked to be a fairly OK option for an updated UT/Q3-style thing.

I've just been sticking with Quake Live. :shrug:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
If you don't own DK and you don't buy it now, I will find you. I've been pimping it to my non-gamer-type friends hardcore today.

I remember seeing the previews/trailers for DK2 as a kid and thinking that Bullfrog was betraying me. Bad polygon graphics and weirding out the interface...blasphemy. I loved DK so very much. :allears:

Oh and Populous: The Beginning entertained me quite a bit as a kid, so I'd give it a mild recommendation. Think I'll pick up Privateer, Theme Hospital and mayyybe Syndicate. e: Heard good things about Nox as well...worth grabbing?

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 2, 2012

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Man, I wish GOG had the Kohan series.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
:siren: Everyone buy Arcanum godammit :siren:

/drunkpost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

BadAstronaut posted:

I know this is entirely subjective, but what do you guys think is the best RTS on GOG? My work colleague and I often wrap up 30-60 minutes before we leave for the day and it's cool to round it off with some gaming. We've done Age of Empires and Empire Earth, but what else in a similar vein (or even C&C style) is on GOG that is a fun 2-4 player multiplayer game?

I had tons of fun with Dark Reign as a kid, but never really played multiplayer. It did some interesting things with camouflaged units, terrain and pathing, and I loved the presentation. Best RTS on GOG? Probably not, but I'd say worth a punt, especially if it's sub-$5 now.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Can someone sell me on the Crusader series, No Remorse/Regret? I know next to nothing about them, other than they look Fallouty and I'm 100% OK with that.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Moop Moop posted:

Isometric sci fi shooters with little bits of story between each level where you murder a poo poo load of people using various weapons/explosives/robots.

This is enough to move me, honestly, but...

Commander Keenan posted:

I love Crusader.

Yes but tell me whyy

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Thanks for the words, chaps -- that's the gentle shove I needed to try it out.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Oh man. Really wanting to play Tiberian Sun right now.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

BadAstronaut posted:

And plan to play ToEE some day. Some day...

Do it! The Co8 people recently released a new version, so now's a great time to jump in. I say this every time someone mentions ToEE, but it's some of the best turn-based combat around.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Deakul posted:

Oh son of a bitch, I forgot to actually buy Wiz8 and it's not on sale anymore? The hell GOG. :negative:

Incidentally, W8 is super worth $10 so don't feel bad if you give in.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I say this every time it goes on sale, but to be sure — buy Arcanum.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Zeether posted:

I want to see Battle Engine Aquila on there but since the Atari stuff happened I doubt it's ever going to show up :(

Whoa, there's a memory. OG Xbox demo disc had BEA on it and I thought it was really charming. Was it ever released on PC?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm going to ask ye olde question here: Dungeon Keeper Gold or Dungeon Keeper 2?
I'm curious if the recent additions to Bullfrog games have affected the common answer.

Definitely Gold. DK is easily one of the best games I have ever played. 2, not so much. It's fine, just not as inspiring as 1.

Is there anything I need to know/patch before jumping into Clive Barker Presents Clive Barker's Undying?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

JustJeff88 posted:

Like maaaaany other things, it's in my backlog.

If you're after something turn-based and tactics-y that you can sink teeth into, move JA2 to the top of your to-play list. Neither new nor super flashy but it's pretty much the pinnacle of the genre.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

JustJeff88 posted:

Duly noted, and thanks for the recommendation. Arma Tactics has a demo on Steam, so I can see how rubbish it is for free if I feel the need.

Edit: Actually, cartoony as they are, I've been really keen to properly sink my teeth into the Advance Wars games. I have all 4 that were released in North America, but I've never really given them my full attention. The first one is very... gimicky? (is that a word?) and requires a lot of exploiting dodgy AI in scenarios where the odds are hopelessly stacked against you while Dual Strike is rather questioningly balanced with too much emphasis on CO powers, but AW2 and Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict are rock-solid, though the latter takes a very serious, gritty turn compared to the three previous iterations of the series.

Yes! They are fantastic titles and each one gives the familiar feel a slightly different spin (excluding the last one for the reasons you mentioned — wildly different direction). There's enough content in those 4 to last a long while, but look into the Fire Emblem series for another twist. Then you can move on to Knights in the Nightmare, Disgaea DS, Panzer Tactics, the first Jagged Alliance...

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Realms of Arkania 1 & 2 are free on gog when you participate in a download test. Here's my redemption key since I have it already!

https://secure.gog.com/redeem/u6xxuvx6

And a link to the test page:

http://www.gog.com/2013_downloads_quality

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Mierenneuker posted:

...they've given away the same game before, haven't they.

Yeah. I have a feeling it's the same deal as before (earlier this year?) but they never took down the page.

I started Cryostasis after looking through my gogshelf. I'm only 20 minutes in, but whoa, it's fantastic so far.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

DeathChicken posted:

Clicked Ultima Underworld, it sputtered for a second, "We're overwhelmed, try again"

It flopped to Ultima Underworld for about half a second for me, then straight to The Real Texas.

This is madness.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Jack Keane 4: The Book of Unwritten Tales

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Orv posted:

Despite the awful box art you should buy Aquanox 2.

Yeah, it's actually a pretty neat underwater Descent-y thing, with charming voice acting and surprisingly good visuals. Easily worth a buck fifty.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Personally I'd get Alpha Centauri from that list. If you're ok with Civ3-era design and UI, you'll find one of the most atmospheric and well-done other-planet 4x empire-builders around.

Otherwise I'd say go with your gut with KKND or the vs. titles. I got No Remorse because of the goon here with the Crusader avatar but found the controls way too cumbersome. I-War 2 is great but I'm not sure about the first, and No Mouth is supposed to be a great experience but super bleak and depressing.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Whoa they have Deadlock now. There's a demo I played to death.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
The GOG site refresh is really ugly. :(

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I could never get Close Combat to run on my college laptop back in the day, so this'll be nice.

fake edit: short of having to regedit to run in 1080 :V

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
i've started using galaxy more, and the upcoming beta means i'll probably be all up in that more often. anyone want to be frens? i'm squareking or spiderwisdom, depending on whether gog changes it to the latter in the next few days.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
i'm late to this i'm sure, but what's going on w the partial gog redesign? there's a new or secondary logo / typemark in there that looks kinda awful. noticed the copywriting changed up too — more typos and mild weirdness than before. did bundlestars buy them or something? did i get hacked