Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

The Kins posted:

Brutal Legend is one, off the top of my head.

That is really awful. Brutal Legend's single-player was basically a really long tutorial for it's multi-player. Single-player is still fun but I remember having a blast playing it online back when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

Fantasy General: PTM***18F1011E43HJ

the thrice repeated asterisks are the initials of the electronic frontier foundation

I got this, thank you!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Freaky, I thought about Diablo a couple of days ago, wondering if it was available digitally.

The atmosphere of this game is so good.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Alchenar posted:

ps. Yeah, Warcraft 1 and 2 do nothing exciting. They don't represent a lost magic of a past era of gaming because Starcraft 2 is fundamentally the same game.

Warcraft 2 is charming as hell and it does represent the lost magic of Blizzard which started around Diablo 2 / Warcraft 3.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

If I had to bet I'd say it's because putting them on battle.net would risk hurting their brand by exposing newer players to games from a different age, while releasing them on GOG still gets most of the money while keeping the games contextualized with the other old games and without up-front blizzard branding.

I thought this too but Blizzard's even older games, like Blackthorn and Lost Vikings, are on Battle.net.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

If you are ignore the campaign and multiplayer, you're not going to get much fun out of Starcraft.

I wasn't really into multiplayer either but my friend and I would play co-op against an AI player or two. It was great because there was no rush and we helped each other out.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

Has Space Rogue Classic ever been on sale, and what is the extra content that comes with it? I can't seem to find this info on the site when browsing on mobile. Loved this game in around 1991, replayed it in 1994 and did what I understood to be every single thing possible in the game, even writing a complete walkthrough (14 years old and with all the time in the world), and hey, why not give it another go 25 years on. 🙂

An overlooked Elite-meets-space-RPG gem from Ultima, if you ask me.

It has been on sale before because I remember almost buying it at the time. I think it came with a map and short story.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is on sale and I was thinking about buying it. Would anyone recommend it to someone who liked Magic of Magic?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for the info / recommendation! I like the idea of AoW being more combat focused so I'm going to pick it up.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

What sorcery is this?

https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic

Even the base game has a new bug fix patch!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

That's great about Emperor of the Fading Suns. I never played it but it seemed fun because of Dune inspired stuff with the royal houses and the chruch faction, which tries to stop you from researching certain tech.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Emperor of the Fading Suns is now available: https://www.gog.com/game/emperor_of_the_fading_suns

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I only played it for about a hour or so but so far it's not really comparable to other 4x games that I know of. Like, not only do you have a galaxy map but each planet has its own civ-like map. And in maps are in hexes instead of squares so it kinda feels like a wargame.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Any stand out deals in the summer sale? I was thinking of Möbius Front, but Zachtronics games have had a habit of being in a Humble Monthly pretty quick after release these days.

It's a solid strategy game but nothing amazing or anything. You could buy XCOM 2 or Battletech for the same price right now.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I was going to suggest Scratches but it seems to have disappeared from all digital platforms? :ghost:

Not quite what you're looking for but Sanitarium is similar to Darkseed.

Edit:. VVVV There is no buy button on it's steam page.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 21, 2022

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, so many of my purchases are "I'll want to play this - some day" and then I just play the same old games again.

It's because learning how to play new games takes effort and it gets tiring if you are going through a laundry list of games you haven't played before. Most of the time I play the same old games because I want to unwind and not be bothered to learn new mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

Huh, apparently GoG has put up an "enhanced" version of Emperor of the Fading Suns https://www.gog.com/en/game/emperor_of_the_fading_suns, presumably with a ton of bugfixes. It seems that if you own the original you'll get the updated version for free. Has anyone tried it yet and what do you think about it?

I only played around with it but I like that there is now a custom game where you can select a smaller galaxy (dark ages) or a larger one (lost galaxy).

The smaller galaxy would be great for a pbem game.