Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The thread reboot got me to buy Fallout Tactics (even though I'm probably years away from getting around to playing it) and ... Pinball.

Mr Pepper posted:

Seriously. Walmart sucks so much rear end while these guys is like supporting your local business (although they're making millions probably).
I doubt they're making much money at all. I believe piracy is honestly a massive problem, and I bet they're giving a 50-80% cut to the original publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I agree for the most part, but I didn't really enjoy Painkiller until Part 2. It's really mindless, pointless feeling shooting for the first five chapters or so. Then all of a sudden the level design takes a turn for 'amazing' with convincing asylums and opera houses and other realistic-feeling locales.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Overwined posted:

Not to mention there really was a point in time when we didn't have expansion mania. Mostly they would revamp the game and call it a sequel (see Doom I v Doom II, Ultima 7 v Ultima 8). I'm really not sure which I prefer, adding a fluffy character to the game and calling it an expansion, or reskinning the protagonist and calling it a sequel.
You probably meant Ultima 7, parts 1 & 2. Actually each part had their own expansions too that integrated into the original games adding a major story-heavy quest with the ability to turn the Avatar into a superhero.

I didn't feel cheated by the Ultimas and Doom 1 vs. 2s since there was so much content and fun to be had. I would have been irritated if they kept doing it for years though.

Ultima 6 also had two same-engine, but non-canon, follow-ups which were pretty awesome. They were esoteric, set in Lost World (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) and Martian Chronicles-like universes. The Savage Empire & Martian Dreams.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Drox posted:

Rethink this statement. Would you really have been irritated if you got another Doom 2 instead of Doom 3? :v:

Of course, in my opinion Painkiller is the REAL Doom 3, so...
Painkiller is great, but Doom 64 was the REAL Doom 3! I was so surprised it wasn't another rehash. It was basically the exact same old gameplay, but with new levels and higher resolutions.

There's a PC version of it and lots more information here: http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-about.html

Although reading that, I now kind of want to check out the PSX version which I was completely unaware of.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RiffRaff1138: Thanks for the links!

Charles Martel posted:

I never played Doom 64 and just assumed it was a lovely console port, so I'll have to try this out.
Yeah, I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot with the naming scheme since Doom was already being ported to everything and anything in its older incarnations.

Sounds like the PSX version isn't different enough to bother with, but the music in it is apparently fantastic.

edit: Doom 64 EX is nice just because it's "simpler" and easier to get started. Absolution doesn't seem that much different overall (and therefore presumably not THAT much less 'authentic'), but the engine is infinitely more configurable.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 19, 2009

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

IL-2 is great, but it's taken me so long to really get into it. I'm finally really starting to get the hang of it after playing it on and off for a couple of years.

To not marginalise the genre so much, these developers should really be spending substantial resources on hands-on, well-scripted, tutorials. As well there should be some flashy, easy, and exciting campaigns to get people started, then let them transition to the hardcore realistic stuff.

I want to like these games, but the steep learning curves are killer. I miss the days of Strike Commander and other "sim-lights."

Make sure you check the IL-2 thread. You need the take-off and landing tutorials at the very least. As well, it's possible to make this 8 year old game still look spectacular on a modern PC, with full wide screen resolutions. (Though the current thread doesn't really cover tweaking it that well yet.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 17, 2009

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's not true and has been discredited several times in this very thread.

The FSO Installer WILL NOT give you the Freespace 1 & 2 data files, the best way to legally obtain them is from GOG.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I quite liked Descent 3 back in the day. I never got past about half way though. (Disc was corrupt or something, it always crashed loading one level.)

Spatial posted:

I thought it was pretty mediocre, even bad. It wasn't made by the same people and it shows; the overall visual design is more generic, the robots are dull, the changed automap is useless, the player ships are horrendously ugly, the sound effects aren't as powerful sounding. I didn't much like the level design either, especially the later ones.

The story was always thread bare in Descent, but at the end of the second game something pretty cool happens that leaves the door open for some interesting stuff to come after. 3 pretty pretty much ignores it and dumps you back in the solar system doing mundane poo poo, and it ends in the most boring, lovely way possible. I didn't like that.

Worst offence: in the intro of the game they kill off the Cool Ship (TM) from the original two games. :(

I know I know, MY DESCENT :goonsay:
It was made by almost exactly the same people. Outrage Studios was the half of Parallax Software that made the previous two Descent games.

I agree the "robots are dull" ... but the original ones are even plainer.

I don't agree with that the player ships are all bad. I don't see how the GL & GX Pyros are THAT different. I think the Phoenix is perfectly decent-looking. Just the really utilitarian heavy ship isn't anything to write home about.

I also don't see how the auto-map is useless. It's not as dynamic, loading an entire sector at a time as opposed to just the few visible edges/surfaces ... but it's still great for navigation. But you don't really need the map anyway because you could use the Guidebot. In Descent 3, the Guidebot is far more useful, and far less obtrusive.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

FLX posted:

I liked the first Red Baron back then ... like way way way back then. So, how is Red Baron 3D? Worth the $9,99 (WTF?!) pricetag?
Very very expensive, especially compared to Red Baron 3D, but have you seen Rise of Flight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-0ImSpQhw

Problem is it only comes with two planes, and they expect you to buy the rest as DLC.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

Maybe EA is finally releasing all the titles it got when ate up Bullfrog, Origin, etc....
This is my wish. I would buy/rebuy almost everything.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh well. Maybe we'll get the whole list of planned titles tomorrow. I'll buy Gabriel Knight, but judging from the commentary here, I can probably live without Arcanum. So what's 'unexcelled'?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not entirely MS' fault, I just installed Red Faction Guerilla from D2D and it wouldn't let me install it wherever I wanted. Retarded.
Only pirates need custom directories.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You have to buy them both to get the deal. It's like 2 for 1, or full price for one.

My question is, how playable is Red Baron 3D nowadays and are there any modernising projects for it? The forums seem kind of vague though they have compatibility patches.

edit: gently caress it, getting it anyway. I somehow completely missed Red Baron ever getting posted there. I wonder if Stellar 7 will ever come up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're definitely right, and it definitely works now. I could swear it wasn't like that when the deal first went up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I only had a few minutes to spend with it, but Red Baron 3D is quite reasonable. Getting it working with 3D acceleration was trivial with OpenGlide, though it oddly looks better in software in some ways. The propeller looks way better with Glide turned on though. It appears that you're limited to 1024x768 resolution.

I just hope this doesn't make me crave the pricey Rise of Flight. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-0ImSpQhw

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Freespace is probably far more arcadey. Power-management is confined to basics like deciding whether you need more speed or shields. It's mission-based, and after a short (skippable) tutorial you go right into combat. Make sure you try out the source-code project if you want to play a modernised version of the game: http://scp.indiegames.us/bnr_installer.php

(I think you only really need Freespace 2, and the SCP contains a mod which recreates Freespace 1)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm just waiting for Origin, Bullfrog, and Microprose-published games.

Can't think of much more I'd want. 2K's back-catalogue? Something like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic really ought to be on GOG. It still plays great in a window on Win7 and is the only game I feel I can recommend as a Master of Magic-successor.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Master of Magic fans really need to track down Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, and play the random scenario generator. That really needs to be on GOG.

Check out the wiki article for its gameplay:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders:_Shadow_Magic

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like GalCiv 2 better overall, but mostly because it's still new to me. I've played MOO2 utterly to death in years past.

MOO2 still beats GalCiv2 as far as racial uniqueness and charm go. It's not nearly as balanced as GalCiv2, which is definitely a fun change of pace. (Yes I know Twilight of the Arnor added different racial tech trees and structures.)

MOO2 has enough modern conveniences in it that it still holds up pretty great today. I was surprised how good it looks still, even scaled up to my 1920x1200 monitor.

----

Aside, I tried enabling the thing in Nvidia Control Panel that uses the GPU to scale instead of my monitor, but none of the settings want to stick for some reason. I'm hoping new drivers fixes it, because checking for whether a settings file is set to read-only, which Google told me to do, didn't solve anything.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Adam Bowen posted:

I know this is basically off-topic, but how does GalCiv 2 compare to GalCiv 1 in your opinion, teethgrinder? Assuming you've played both of course. I ask because I love MoO2 as you seem to and I enjoyed GalCiv 1 but it couldn't hold my attention very long. I've played a demo of GalCiv 2, but I'm still on the fence about it. I've heard the expansions make it much better, but haven't been willing to pull the trigger and buy it yet.

To stay somewhat on topic - MoO 2 came out in 1996, I don't think I ever played it until 2004 or so, I'm not particularly good at 4X and find most of the space-based entries in the genre very frustrating. While I still suck at MoO 2, it's one of my favorite games now and I recommend it to absolutely anyone. The fact that it was already aged when I first played it didn't matter, because the graphics are the type that never look bad, and the gameplay is completely timeless. You can have a good time with it after very little instruction on how it works, so anyone on the fence should definitely buy this pack.
It's been so long since I played GalCiv1, but I know 2 was vastly better in every way. 2 has entirely erased my memory of 1.

I can't believe how much I'd forgotten MOO2. At my height I could beat it with any race on hard, or with custom handicapped race.

I think what I overall like about GalCiv2 better though are two major points. First, that research strategy seems better balanced. I don't like in MOO2 how unless you play a creative race, you must decide on one item per level. You can strategise and try to steal the tech either through invasion or infiltration, but there's no guarantee.

Most importantly though, I love the "civilization" scope of GalCiv2, where it feels like you're a leader of one major faction, but there's all kinds of trade and tourism going on between planets at any given time. Yeah there's a little bit of suspension of disbelief that you're unaware of systems your citizens are visiting, but the economic system and strategy more than makes up for it. I love how your economy is tied to trade, moral & tourism, not just taxes and maintenance.

I don't know whether I'd recommend it to you specifically. You HAVE been playing MOO2 for a reasonably long enough time, but if you're not bored of it yet, then you may as well keep going since it sounds like you haven't exhausted it. I'd consider GalCiv2 if you're looking for a new challenge, specifically of learning a new system.

Strategy doesn't carry at all between the two games. It's much harder to expand in GalCiv2 until you've got a really solid economic base going.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

Any must-have fan patches for MoO2, or should a new guy just stick to the base game?

The only fan-patch I know of already appears to be added to GOG's version. It's just bug fixes if I remenber correctly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Farquar posted:

I think that's my favorite thing about MOO2. Every game you have to work with a different set of technology and use different strategies to outsmart your opponent. I usually pick the Uncreative trait because of this.
I think the GalCiv2 system works better though. Tech trees are relatively more expensive than MOO2. You choose the trees you want to concentrate on, but the option is still there if you need it later.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CaudaVenenus posted:

A studio like Bioware for example can sell games on its name alone and appeal to a crowd way beyond the D&D fans, which is exactly what they did with Dragon Age. The balance of power has shifted between pen & paper publishers and video game developers. Today Hasbro would probably have to hire a studio and finance a D&D game out of their pocket, a game that would in turn serve to promote the books. Ten years ago when Baldur's Gate came out, it was the other way around with Bioware having to purchase a costly license.
Your argument makes sense, that it's not worth the costs & canon nowadays, but I don't think it ever was.

Developers probably just wanted to make D&D-brand games, or were courted by TSR/Hasbro/whoever right from the start. There have been hundreds of D&D knock-off games since the 70s. There are lots of successful brands too, like Ultima, Might & Magic and Elder Scrolls to name a few. Hell, stuff like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were based on those early western RPGs.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I accidentally got unsubscribed from this thread somehow and missed a lot of the discussion.

I've now beat MOO1 & MOO2 on average difficulty, but don't feel up to playing them in hard again these days. There are a bunch of modern space empire games, of which I really like GalCiv 2 as a MOO2-style game (with planet build queues), but are there any like MOO1 with simplified sliders?

Vastakaiun posted:

I was going to buy the Master of Orion pack, and was looking around to see anything else worth buying, when all of a sudden... "Holy poo poo Settlers 2 is in here!?"

My favourite game for the longest time growing up. I love this service. :3:
You owe it to yourself to find a copy of the Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary Edition.

Woebin posted:

No one can predict what those insane aliens will do next.

I've never played Inferno, but it's got a pretty rad soundtrack by Alien Sex Fiend. I've always wanted to play it since I heard that, would love if GOG get it.

HellBender was awesome, too.
Yes, I have the game! Came in a sweet metal tin. I think it was the very first game to have CD-audio even.

drat, never played Fury3, and never heard of HellBender.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Healbot posted:

There's still no Source Code available, so either Atari doesn't want to release it or it simply got lost. Don't get your hopes up for any changes in that direction. :smith:
And even if it were released tomorrow, we'd be looking at a year minimum before we saw something playable & fun.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Swamp Zero posted:

I am apparently unable to play strategy games, psychologically.

My last game of MoO2, I literally finished every single tech research available (took creative because I'm just that OCD) before firing a single shot in offense. Then I wiped out everyone.

But it makes for a boring game, yet I can't seem to escape this. I can't possibly send a ship in combat, knowing full well that I could have a better one in X turns :smith:
What difficulty are you playing in?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Swamp Zero posted:

what the gently caress is the deal with antarans?

They send 2 frigates and 2 destroyers my way, I have 1 frig 1 destroyer 2 cruisers and 2 battleships with the goddamn super anti-antaran navigator of legend and they wipe my fleet AND the whole loving colony, taking no losses. It's not like I wasn't researching combat tech either.
In my recent average game I couldn't defend a colony until 3/4 through the tech tree, and I couldn't defeat their homeworld until I researched almost everything. Any colony picked by the Antarans was a complete write-off.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm playing Master of Magic for the first time in years, on average. Holy hell, I do not remember the economy being so hard to manage. I remember unrest being a major problem, so I've been diligent about building unrest-lowering structures early, but I just can't seem to raise the funds for the kinds of armies the CPU is throwing around. And of course they're all at war with me.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is the latest one, and I absolutely love it. But I don't know where you can find a copy nowadays. I think mine came from an Amazon seller, but they're going for $50 now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

guppy posted:

I placed a vote for those the day the site opened, I think. I even rebought No Remorse once, but I couldn't get it to run at proper speed even with DOSBox, unless I disabled all audio, which -- and I realize this sounds horribly :goonsay: but it's true -- pretty much ruins the experience.
DOSbox runs Crusader games fantastically if you use the 'dynamic' core option. I played through the entire first game and quit No Regret after the second level (like everyone else here) 4-5 years ago. It really doesn't take a demanding computer anymore though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

I've never played an ultima game in my life. Huh, go figure.
I think their time has passed, unless you have some kind of nostalgic attachment to early 90s DOS RPGs.

I think Ultima 6-8 still hold up in a classic sort of way. 4 & 5 are excellent games still if you can get past their really old-school graphics and controls.

My favourites are 6 & 7 for their stories and open-world flexibility.

Tangentially related, I'm currently playing Suikoden (PSX game on PSN) with no familiarity with the series, but it's evoking nostalgia from playing the SNES Final Fantasies as a kid. I kind of hate Final Fantasy as a genre/franchise now, but this is oddly compelling.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

I found an old disc with the collection on it, going to try 4, then 7.
You probably want to use this, now also classic, U4 upgrade patch:
http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm

It adds a much nicer tile-set to the game ... and the music which was missing from the DOS port.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Divine Divinity is an excellent game: however the combat/movement/inventory is very Diablo-like. It's open-world though and the quest structure is more Baldur's Gate-like. It has Diablo-esque skill trees, however choosing a class doesn't lock you out of any class-specific skills.

It was very refreshing to play at the time, with very thoughtful, non-cliche, situations and puzzles to work through.

The only caveat is that the first dungeon you have to play kind of sucks, and is pretty long. But after that, the game opens up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Re: the Sherlock Holmes game posted today.

"Written by a true Sherlock Holmes fan," really? The whole premise is preposterous to anyone that's read the stories. Yeah Sherlock loves parties and regular social company. Even the crime being committed before their eyes is ridiculous. I suppose it's a "unique setting" at least. Maybe if it took place in an opium den...

Maybe the game develops from there into something engaging in the jump-to-incredible-conclusions-from-minute-evidence in true Holmes fashion, but the marketing blurb doesn't bode well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

So, I bought Divine Divinity because it's been on my c-list for many a year.

I understand that it's friggin' huge, which is nice, but I only occasionally get a craving for isometric clicky RPGs, and usually for about a week or so. Is Divine Divinity a game that can be abandoned for a while, then picked up again without too much confusion? Or would I be better off scheduling a huge slab of time to complete it?
I think so. The game has a solid quest log in it so you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to do when you return.

The only caveat to the game is that the intro dungeon in the town is unnecessarily long and somewhat dull. Once you make it past that, the game opens up and becomes something completely fantastic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If you don't mind cheating a little, you can use XCOMUTIL to just replace your soldiers' weapons with stunning stuff. When I was 15 years old playing UFO Defence for the first time, I changed all the aliens' weapons into Elerium. :shobon:

(Make sure you back up your saves before messing with them.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

Sorta off-topic, but if it wasn't for GOG and Steam, I would probably have something like this guy has:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/22/we-miss-pc-game-boxes-heres-why/

Link above leads to a bigger-sized pic if you click on it. I used to have enough boxed PC games to maybe fill a shelf and a half there, but wow. I wish the quality was a bit better, but I can make out Motocross Madness 2, Messiah, and Oni. Shelf owns. :pcgaming:

Oh that effing Ultima IX Dragon Edition box

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Threep posted:

PC games came in boxes for somewhere around 15 years and Steam is 6 years old. Let's check back with you again when your Steam account is 15 years old shall we?

I have somewhere over 200 game boxes myself, or would if I kept them all, but I probably paid less average for them than I did the games on my Steam account
The years after Pentiums arrived were actually glorious for me. I missed stuff like Quake the first time around, but 486-era software was going for $5-10. So many phenomenal games. But yeah, boxes were insanely big back then. I haven't kept any, except I think I saw that Ultima IX Dragon Edition box kicking around my parents' still the last time I was there.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That was easy to figure out as a kid. I knew it being 9 years old and trying to beat the loving inn & desert section early in King's Quest V. Nothing has ever made me more pissed off at a video game than reading the solution in a friend's hint book.

(I realise the game is practically 20 years at this point, but hey, this is a classic gaming thread and people might want to still try to enjoy these games. Explanation & solution to to the King's Quest V situation follows:)

If you walk into the inn, you get captured by a bunch of bad men and die in the basement. If you've ever visited the desert, the next time you walk near the inn, you see a cutscene of a cat chasing and catching a mouse. Congratulations, your game is now unwinnable, but you'll never know it.

What you were supposed to do was wander the desert until you found a boot. Then you were supposed to realise that the cutscene of the cat chasing the mouse wasn't really a cutscene, and you still had 0.5 seconds to go into your inventory and grab the boot to throw at the cat. If you managed to accomplish this, the mouse then rescues you when you're caught by the people in the inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I have to believe this was just a way to get people to buy the hint book. Stuff like that still kind of exists today, too, like having to leave certain treasure chests in Final Fantasy XII unopened if you want to get an ultimate weapon.
At least the FF XII one I'd call an "incentive" as opposed to "imperative." You don't need that to progress in the game. And of course nowadays you can just find that information on Gamefaqs.