Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I might need to pick up Stonekeep on this, that was a great game back in the day. I'm also looking forward to Warlords Battlecry, I played the crap out of II, so hopefully III is as good.

I'd love it if Bethseda got onboard with this, it'd be fun to play Daggerfall, Battlespire, and Redguard, or to have a working copy of Arena that I don't need to battle dosbox on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No Jazz Jackrabbit or Jill of the Jungle. :(

Seriously I was hoping they would have Majesty though.

Oh man, I remember playing Jill of the Jungle back in the 90s, that was a fun platformer. I think there was another one by Epic called Xargon that was in a similar vein, that one was a blast too.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Retrograde posted:

I've got the Planescape pack from Walmart though i've never played it, i'm pretty sure it's only two discs (while the original was something around 4 or 5) because they removed a ton of the movies/spells from the game to make it fit. So i wouldn't consider the Walmart version to be definitive.

I heard it's actually just because compression has come a long way between when the game was released and the re-release. By way of comparison, BG2 is a lot bigger than BG1, but is on 4 disks instead of 5. I think if you look at the contents of the disks you'll see folders for CD 1, 2, 3, and 4 on there.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Topware Interactive is the next publisher up.

I don't recognize any of these games except Septerra Core, which I heard was thoroughly mediocre.

Earth 2150 and 2160 are pretty fun. Both have some pretty cool features, though 2150 is the more complex one. There was a ton of unit customization, and you could do poo poo like building an underground tunnel complex and then popping a huge invasion force up into the middle of your enemy's base. 2160 had 4 significantly different factions, though they were rather heavily starcraft inspired. The zerg-like one was neat though, and the missions were fun.

That Gorky 17 game was also called Odium, which sounds familiar to me, though I never played it.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kleptomaniac posted:

I wonder if the Heroes of Might & Magic titles will ever be released on GOG... Heroes 4 is literally impossible to play on Vista x64.

That's a good thing though, Heroes 4 was terrible. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing 1, 2, 3, and the Might & Magic series.

Bullfrog and Origin/Looking Glass also need this treatment, I'd love to play Magic Carpet and System Shock again.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Oh man, sweet. I'm totally picking up WBC3, might get cannon fodder too, that was a fun game.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Irish Bandit posted:

the new publisher is Ubisoft. Now I can buy the same games on Steam and GOG- wow!!!

I see they have the original Rainbow 6 under coming soon. Hopefully Rogue Spear will make an appearance

Personally I'm hoping for the original Rayman, that was a fun game.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

deltawing posted:

I just bought Fallout and Fallout 2, I can't wait to get into them, and to think I only got them plus all the extra content for 12 bucks total!

Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game of all time, and I've never played the first two, I hope they're enjoyable to me :)

They're both kind of slow to get started, and have a pretty tough difficulty curve early on, but they're fun games. Just save really often because it's easy to run into a random party of 20 raiders and get totally owned the second you fast travel to a new spot.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

iceaim posted:

Also did I ruin the game for myself by using the unlimited money gambling trick?

If I remember right, I had more caps than I knew what to do with by about level 6-7, once I was able to kill groups of raiders and sell all their poo poo, so not really. It'd make the early game a bit easy, though the game is cool enough that it's really fun with or without that early challenge.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Charles Martel posted:

So it's only $5.99 until midnight on May 21st where it turns into a pumpkin costs $9.99. I might go ahead and get this then.

But, didn't the first HoMM have an expansion pack? I know the sequels did.

Nope, the first one never had an official expansion pack. Heroes 2 had "The Price of Loyalty", 3 had "The Shadow of Death" and "Armageddon's Blade", and 4 had a couple too. You could also argue that all the standalone chronicles games were heroes 3 expansions too.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Overwined posted:

Not to mention there really was a point in time when we didn't have expansion mania. Mostly they would revamp the game and call it a sequel (see Doom I v Doom II, Ultima 7 v Ultima 8). I'm really not sure which I prefer, adding a fluffy character to the game and calling it an expansion, or reskinning the protagonist and calling it a sequel.

At least the heroes sequels have always been significantly different, while the expansions have just added new campaigns and monsters and stuff while keeping the same engine. Doom 1 vs. Doom 2 is kind of like that, since doom 2 used the same engine and just had more monsters and levels, while ultima 8 was a totally different engine and world from ultima 7.

Still, it was pretty nice having full sequels instead of 6 different expansions.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ugh, even at $6 it's still kind of a ripoff. The classic series is 4 games and several expansions big, do they honestly expect us to pay $10 for every single one? That's ridiculous. I'd pay $10-15 for all 4, no more.

The only one you need to pay any money for is Heroes 3, as it's the best in the series by far. II is pretty good too, but it's ultimately skippable, especially if you can get III. V is good too, but that's not coming to GoG anytime soon since it's still pretty new.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Heroes 3 complete for $10 is a loving steal, as you'll get about a billion hours of gameplay out of it between 3 sets of campaigns and all the individual maps, plus the random map generator it includes. Also, Armageddon's blade is impossible to find anywhere, so it's doubly awesome that you get that expansion. The conflux town is sweet.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

RandolphCarter posted:

So I'm about done with Gothic 2. Are there any other rpgs on GOG of similar quality, besides the Fallouts and Gothic 1? Oh, and is Gothic 3 worth the ten bucks I can get it for at Gamestop?

The Might and Magic series is pretty good - not really Fallout quality but they're fun and have a lot of content.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

ChrisAsmadi posted:

The problem is that THQ owns Relic now and, according to wikipedia at least, owns the Homeworld licence, too.

Also, I'm wondering if Betrayal at Krondor and Return to Krondor will show up, since Sierra owned those too, admittedly it depends what rights RE Feist has to them as well, I guess.

Pretty sure Betrayal is freeware now, they released it a really long time ago though so maybe it's impossible to find now.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

With Activision on board, I hope like crazy this means some Interplay games.

Aren't there a couple Interplay games on there already? I know Stonekeep was Interplay.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Redneck Rampage, Fallout, etc are Interplay.

I meant "some more", as Interplay was the first company signed on by GOG. I thought Activision owned some of Interplays IPs?

More would definitely be good, agreed. Just wasn't sure if you were aware that there were already a few on there :)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I think it really comes down to whether a game is actually OLD or not. If you're charging me $15 for something that came out two years ago, then fine, because it's probably also available on steam or amazon for a similar price. If you're charging me $15 for something that came on floppies, then that's not so fine anymore. Personally, I'm mainly going to use the service for old stuff that runs on DOS/Win95 and that my CDs don't work for anymore.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Phoenix 2.0 posted:

Is Sacred any good?

Yeah, it's a fun diablo-esque game with a giant world and lots of monsters to click on until they die. I'd rank it up there with titan quest and diablo, not quite as good as either but still a ton of fun.

Stonekeep is also a ton of fun, it's a great first person dungeon crawler with a pretty nice difficulty level.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

How could you even tell it was a good dagger? I can't figure out how to examine or compare items - I just see what looks like a dagger, same as my other dagger.

When you equip things they'll show different stats on your stat page, I think that dagger has 8 piercing or something crazy, making it basically the best weapon in the game.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I seem to recall the secret to the AA was lasers, though there was also an expansion AA mission that was loads harder and you just got bumrushed by like 50 dudes immediately.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

electrigger posted:

Question for HoMM fans. Never really played the series but it looks like something I could definitely get into. Is it worth it to pick up HoMM3 or would my money be better spent on something like Kings Bounty?

It is worth it to pick up HOMM3. It will probably still be worth it to pick up HOMM3 in 50 years, it's just really awesome all around. Kings Bounty is good and HOMM5 is also pretty good, but 3 is really the pinnacle of the series in my opinion.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

I bought HOMM3 based on everyone's recommendations. I really, really like it but I'm having troubles setting up my heroes. Apparently I gimped my best hero by filling him up with lovely skills like Navigation and now he can't learn cool magic and stuff.

So what are the worthwhile skills/magic schools to invest in? Also, is there some in-game setting or keyboard shortcut that will display the enemy's movement/attack range during combat like in the later HOMM games?

The best skills are wisdom (high level spells), earth magic (town portal, meteor shower), and air magic (dimension door, lightning bolt). There aren't really any BAD skills, but depending on the map/campaign, some can be pretty worthless. Stuff like logistics, offense, armorer, are pretty much always useful. Things like tactics can be fantastic if you have an army with slower troops, but are pretty useless for some of the faster armies. Don't ever take estates on your main hero if you can help it, but it's a great skill to have on a bunch of secondary heroes so they pump out cash for you.

As for displaying enemy movement, I think that if you enable the movement shadow and then mouse over their troops, it'll show you their range. I may be thinking of heroes 4 or 5 though, but I'm pretty sure that feature was in 3.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Zarfol posted:

They have Heroes of Might and Magic II, I think I'm going to have to open an account now just to get this again, because I can't find my 15 year old CD's :w00t:

Although I might get the Might and Magic 6 pack, I always wanted to buy M&M the mandate of heaven by my parents wouldn't let me get it back then. Is it still worth playing?

The graphics are slightly above doom-quality I think, but it's a lot of fun and worth playing. Plus you get 5 other games for the price, and the Xeen saga is a classic.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Guillermus posted:

I can confirm this, the Second Encounter HD lacks that Aztecan or whatever is called room where you start running with inverted gravity on a tubed room and swaps the physics.

But still, HD versions improved the game quite a lot and if you can survive without a tiny bit of the game not being there, they have better sound quality aside of gfx improvements and is easier to find players via steam to play coop.

That tiny bit is one of the best parts of the game. I was really bummed that they took those parts out, because screwing with gravity was the best. I made some sweet DM levels that were a bunch of spheres connected up by tubes, and had a few spots where you could jump from one gravity plane to another and such - trippy as hell but fun to play in.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Dirk Muscleton posted:

If you're talking about MIDI Maze, I'd hardly describe it as "esoteric" - it was pretty much the Super Mario Brothers 3 of the Atari ST, the game everyone either had or played at their friend's house every day. Certainly no more esoteric than videogaming in general in the late 80s.

Pretty sure Maze Wars predates even that.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Guillermus posted:

Maybe not a great game, but Hellgate London had a random map generator (at least for some zones i reckon) and it was fully 3d with semi-big open spaces, and lots of lovely subway corridors. Its definately doable if you sacrifice detail or complexity of the enviroment.

Anarchy online had random mission maps too, and they basically worked how you'd expect - 4 or 5 different tilesets, and then various rooms in different sizes with random chests and stuff. They got samey, but it was a decent way of doing them and you could run through quite a few before getting bored because of the enemy variety. I'm pretty sure some other MMORPGs also did random maps in similar ways too, so it really wouldn't surprise me if we started to see some more content like that in RPGs over the next few years.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

To be honest I still don't know what the eponymous gate is. I never got anywhere in BG.

It's the name of the biggest city in the game, kind of like how Neverwinter Nights is named for the city of Neverwinter and Icewind Dale is named for the area of the forgotten realms where it takes place. Black Isle wasn't the most creative with naming...

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Vertigus posted:

Yeah Dark Reign is pretty cool but it suffers from being hard as gently caress in singleplayer.

No kidding, I remember there was one level in the campaign where the AI started out with a ton of units and rather than keeping them around to defend its stuff it would usually just rush your tiny base and slaughter you in the first 5 minutes. It had some really cool units and stuff though, and was a lot of fun in skirmish mode.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

So how does Magic Carpet work, exactly. Like, describe a typical level to me. Because I cannot make head nor tail of it from screenshots.

Basically you fly a carpet around and cast spells at things. It's kind of one part flight simulator (without actual flight mechanics, so your carpet can just hover there), one part shooter, and one part something else. It's a really fun game and there's some awesome terrain altering stuff, like you can make giant volcanoes and create earthquakes that carve huge canyons in the ground and other things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Man, I remember when a friend and I first found the RCT demo on a PC Gamer disk or something and our first thought was that it looked like a stupid game, then that was immediately followed by "I bet we can build roller coasters that kill people". As an added bonus, the game turned out to be fun as hell when you try actually playing too!