Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nanpa posted:

So is anyone going to attempt the Gothic Exploration challenge?

Is Gothic 1 even worth getting, especially when 2 is on GoG as well?

And between The Witcher and GoG, I've been convinced Poles can do no wrong.

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 are both great but Gothic 1's setting is cooler, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nanpa posted:

Also, I'd like to ask how good Painkiller, Arx Fatalis, and Gothic 2 are.

Gothic 2 Gold is arguably the best game in the Gothic series (Which now has three pirahna bytes games, and 1 non-pb standalone expansion). It's a pretty solid RPG. The best comparison would probably be The Witcher. The story is largely linear, but the world is rather open with sidequests and the like. The game is extremely punishing, however, and you will die alot. I'd personally play Gothic 1 (Which i've been thinking of doing an LP of one day) first since it's much more dated than Gothic 2 but the setting is, in my opinion, better.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Okay, this service is awesome. I just got like 10 games, debating on getting M&M collection and Heroes Collection.

Can you play the games online and poo poo? Multiplayer or is that not all updated? I was amazed I was playing Messiah without any issues at all, that game never ran properly and everything is running perfectly, even on Win7. This kicks the rear end out of dosbox, gametap and other services, no DRM is making me buy these to support the games.

I mean, everything is patched and working, you can switch them between desktop and laptop no problems, play them online, offline. Christ, every time I get "junk" money in paypal (THEY ACCEPT PAYPAL!) I'm buying games.

Games without CD keys should be fine to play online, but those with CD Keys you may need to email support in order to get one. I don't think they have that automated. I know you can play Giants online, you just need to email support and wait for their response.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Sweet. I got giants, looking forward to playing it with goons

Good choice. What a loving fantastic game. Here's the active fansite for the game: http://www.giantswd.org/. I believe that there are some unofficial patches and the like there, as well as some graphics stuff.

I'll probably make a thread to get some games together in this next week if no one else does. We need some big Reaper vs Mecc vs Kabuto games going.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: The longest journey for :10bux:

I just played this for the first time a few weeks ago. It was probably one of the best games I've ever played. Great characters, setting, and everything was amazing.

Though do take note that you can buy Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Game of the Year for $10 and under nowadays (I got it for $4) which comes with a DVD of the soundtrack and The Longest Journey as a bonus. Both are amazing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Sporadic posted:

Cnet already reported that both Arcanum and Gabriel Knight will be $5.99 each :)

$6 for Arcanum? Christ, that's amazing. It's easily worth five times that. I might have to buy it again as a backup, digital copy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

electrigger posted:

Hey this Arcanum game sounds really awesome. The weird combat and balance issues that everyone talks about sound not so awesome. Any crpg nerds know of good mods or fan patches for the game that help out? I want to buy it and try it, I loooved the Fallout games, but I feel a bit apprehensive about you know, troika.

There are a few nice balance mods, and I think now an unofficial fan patch, that will be posted soon i'm sure. If not then look around terra-arcanum.com. Just be careful. Arcanum's modding was, overall, really bad. A lot of stupid changing the story for no reason mods or another big type is 'suchandsuch is broken - here's a fix. Enjoy the unneccessary changes to the story, npcs, weapons, etc as well!'. Stay veeery far away of anything by Chris Beddoes.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Weedle posted:

I'm curious, has anyone ever run across a game that actually stores save data in the Saved Games folder in Vista/7? I own close to 200 PC games and I have never, ever seen one that actually uses that folder. It's the one thing that's consistent across the board.

Risen does which surprised the hell out of me considering what kind of title it is.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Charlie Mopps posted:

Betrayal at Krondor has been released for $5.99

Hasn't this game been freeware since 2000 or so? Either way, I guess you're just paying for the XP and Vista compatibility, but it's still odd.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Speaking of good old games, I was getting my oil changed and noticed this little hole in the wall store next to the car shop, went in and found Anachronox and Startopia, factory sealed original giant rear end boxes for 4.99 each :cool:

God drat. That's a really nice find. Both those games are awesome and super fun. I wish I'd found them.

Startopia neeeeeeeds to get on Gog.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im sold. Steam has it for 20 bucks, Im buying when i get home.

EDIT: So the combat is real-time, not turn-based? Never played Dragon Age.

Did you ever play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights 1/2? It's that same sort of combat. It's real time in that it plays out in real time, but technically the combat uses turns, rounds, etc. It's also pausable at any time in combat.

Don't go into Drakensang a deep story or anything, though. It's strangely light hearted and the dialogue is almost childish. That's not a bad thing, however. It's just... weird. I've always wondered if it was like that in Germany, too.

Edit: It takes place in a world with one of the better names I've seen: Adventuria.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I would kill for GoG to get Planescape, Baldur's Gate I + II, and Icewind Dale. I'd buy those games so fast.

You probably would have to kill someone to get them onto GoG. As I understand it all the old interplay D&D games are in licensing hell.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Alchenar posted:

They're being sold in box sets byyyy... Atari?

e: ^^ no not planescape nobody bought that game so nobody bothered to re-release it

Not Atari. Atari had nothing to do with the BG/IWD games. Interplay put out the games.

They're just the current D&D games license holder. Or were.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like you're right. They must own the rights in the UK or something.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

OK, sorry if this has been covered guys, but I couldn't sift through over 100 pages for this...

The Arcanum that is on GOG - what's it like? Is it patchable with that user/fan stuff available online?

Or, put another way, if I get the GOG release, am I still able to have the best Arcanum experience currently possible? I have yet to play through this game, but really want to.

All GOG does is ensure that a game can run for XP/Vista/7. I don't believe they've actually modified anything else thus far.

It's perfectly moddable but you really don't need to mod it. Some people will say you need this balance patch or that balance patch but it's perfectly fine vanilla. Magic is super overpowered but it doesn't mean you can't finish the game using guns.

I guess if you need to mod, though, you can. Just don't even think about installing anything by Chris Beddoes. They're awful.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Well, I impulse-bought Patrician 1 + 2. The DOS version looks cute, and it might be cool to sail ships around on my netbook.

You probably should have just bought Patrician 3. It's almost identical to Patrician 2 except that it's better.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

strategery posted:

Anywhere like GOG to buy Thief 2, or am I gonna be forced to eBAY it or wait for 4?

No digital distribution site carries it as far as I know. Maybe Gametap has it, but they're not the same at all.

If you want a boxed copy, though, Gogamer has it.

http://www.gogamer.com/searchresults.htm?keywords=thief&categoryId=&x=0&y=0

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Farquar posted:

How randomized is the loot in Icewind Dale? I feel like I would give it more of a chance if I knew there was some roguelike randomness in it.

I've never played it, but if it's set up like BG2, and I can't imagine it's not, then just about everything is hand placed.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Drox posted:

No, I mean, wasn't Baldur's Gate a place in FR prior to the game? Why it wasn't originally named Balduran's Gate is what I want to know.

Baldur was probably the shortened version of Balduran. Like someone named Matthew. You can call them Matt. If I, a Matthew, had a gate I'd not mind if it was called Matt's Gate.

It's not like places named after people don't have a history of being changed. Look at America. It's not called Amerigo.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wow, PS:T. loving amazing. I never did finish it.

To those that have it, could you mention whether or not the old graphical glitches with modern cards exist in this version? I had a ton of trouble on my old (Series 6 and 7) Nvidia cards but I have an HD 4850 now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

For people asking about Arcanum: go with a magic character. Invest every point you get into learning disintegrate. You can now get through the entire game with no real risk or danger ever, so you're free to gently caress around with whatever catches your eye.

Or just play whatever you want because you don't need to play the most overpowered combo to enjoy a game. It's perfectly playable with any other class.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Seriously. Re-installing NWN and expansions without having to track down the otherwise useless manual (assuming you haven't lost it or thrown it away by accident) to type in four or five different 32 character case-sensitive passkeys would be a real coup.

If you ever logged online, I think it should be stored on your bioware profile.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

rt4 posted:

I have wanted to play Arcanum since I first read its review in PC Gamer when it came out. I just started it today since I finished Syberia and I'm loving it but drat why are the graphics even worse than Fallout??

Wow. You must have some serious rose tinted glasses with Fallout.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Threep posted:

NWN's combat is exactly the same as Baldur's Gate except you only control one character and it wants you to play in third person instead of isometric.

Oh and more animations.

e: And of course the fact that it's D&D 3E based.

No auto-pause, either.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

On the same token, does anyone know what the co-op is like in Arcanum? It's marked as co-op on the GOG page for it. Do mods still work as long as you both have the same ones installed?

Remember back around 98 and 99 when Diablo 1 was a huge success and everyone wanted to make their own? Arcanum co-op is like that. It does not use the campaign, it uses special modules. It's all real time and I believe they said it's only in the game because Sierra forced it on them.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Patrician 3 is easily the best version of the series (I haven't played 4) so there's really no reason to ever play the first two, anyway.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Poor Impulse just doesn't have the selection and clout Steam does in order to have cool sales.

It's funny. Gamersgate used to be solely paradox games and shovelware, leaving impulse in 3rd place behind Steam and D2D in terms of games. Then GG started getting everything D2D and Steam got and Impulse is now so far behind in terms of content it's incredible. Considering that they were one of, if not the, first gaming digital distribution services (as totalgaming.net) they must be so bitter.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

GreenNight posted:

The problem with Daggerfall are all the loving fetch questions for poo poo at the bottom of crazy dungeons.

The problem with Daggerfall is that they just hit the big randomize button and hoped that the huge landmass would make people forget how broken the game is.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Speaking of remakes, some news on Jagged Alliance: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/02/new_name_us_publisher_for_jagg.php

This is awesome, but at the same time I just know it'll be broken for a year and they probably won't reuse the voices or even the same VAs from JA2 :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Elmo Oxygen posted:

No it isn't.

Somehow I missed the part about turn based being replaced :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Close: Patrician III is PII with the expansion pack. P1 is a DOS game that's actually kind of neat, but personally I wish I had just bought PIII. Again, you are getting two games for the price of one, but if you like PII at all, you are probably better served getting III.

That, and IV just came out not too long ago, so it may well be worth skipping over all of this nonsense and just getting the latest version.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Patrician 4 so that may not be the best of advice. Patrician 3 is a very solid game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Jethro Tull posted:

What's the best GOG game for someone that loves a good story? I'm looking at the Longest Journey but I don't want to kill myself because of lame rear end puzzles

With the exception of one puzzle that's really dumb (it involves a rubber duck) The Longest Journey is pretty easy and an amazing game so you shouldn't worry about the puzzles!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Jethro Tull posted:

Okay I'm GONNA BUY IT.

Just remember that if you encounter a situation involving subway tracks that you can't figure out to look up the answer.

Actually, here is the solution.

http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/tlj/424-2.php

It's the most frustrating puzzle in the game, I swear. It's also very early on.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Speaking of X-Com-y games, any word on Shadow Watch? I played it once or twice back when Gametap was good and loved it. It had a neat art style and while not really being very X-com-y in terms of anything but the fact it's turn based and isometric it was really fun. I'd love to see it on GOG.

Hell, who even owns the license?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

al-azad posted:

I think Wizardry is owned by a Japanese company now. They're still developing Wizardry games in Japan and a new title has been released over there practically every year.

Yeah, of all the loving franchises loving Wizardry is one that Japan is obsessed with. Go figure.

quote:

The popularity of Wizardry in Japan led to the making of various light novels, manga comics, Japanese pen-and-paper role-playing games, an original video animation, and several original console sequels, spinoffs and ports. Most have been released only in Japan.

:confused:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

zombieman posted:

Do you possibly have any links to said patch?

It's not a patch so much as it is a utility that tweaks some variables.

Use the "easy" setting for a more Vanilla (though not quite) experience. Don't feel bad about it because Gothic 2 is ridiculously hard. I just finished my LP of the game and I ended up using it early on just so I could use some of the non-combat skills.

http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=100

I also used this:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=9817805#post9817805

Which seemed quite good. Just use the version that doesn't alter game balance and simply fixes bugs.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

You know what game I'd really like to see? Hardwar. Again, no-one else I know has ever played or heard of it, but I loved it as a kid. It's an Elite-style combat/trading sim, but instead of deep space you're flying around a penal colony on the surface of Titan. The story was a lot of fun, lots of FMV movies of wacky characters asking you to perform missions etc - very 90s but in an awesome way.

gently caress. You just reminded me of Hardwar and for that I love you.

Man, that was such a great game. We should totally patch it up and get an SA server up and running. The awesome thing about multiplayer was how it was persistent and everything.

God, I need to reinstall it now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

OK, the Xbox controller may not work with Hardwar, but it's awesome with an X52. Just flew around taking a tour of the whole joint and blew up a couple of random jerks while enjoying the tunes. Netted some sweet scrap metal along the way.

They should really get this on GoG. It's different enough from the other sci-fi flight sim type things to be a worthwhile inclusion.

I just PMed a mod for permission to upload ISOs of the game discs. If I'm allowed, I'll create a thread for the game.

GoG would obviously be better, but from a 2004 interview it sounds like the game's ownership is in limbo. No one is sure who owns it since the developer went under.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

FYI the ISOs have been available for free quite openly for at least 5 years with the knowledge of the developers. Let me know what they say and if it's OK I can just point you to an existing link

I have the okay and the thread just went up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398621

I already uploaded my ISOs but more options couldn't hurt! Especially since I used free upload sites that are likely to delete them if they get any amount of traffic. Feel free to post them there or PM them to me and I'll edit them into the OP.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah, pretty much 75% of the PC games I want digitally distributed are owned by good 'ol Electronic Arts. Once they come to their senses are realize THEY COULD PRINT MONEY OFF OF THE METRIC TON OF NOSTALGIC GAMES THEY'VE BEEN SITTING ON FOR A DECADE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, I'll have basically everything I need.

As far as the other 25%, I still want these on GoG and/or Steam:

*takes deep breath*
  • Myth series (Bungie)
  • Oni (Bungie)

These are both owned by Take Two now. Are there any 2K/TakeTwo games on GoG yet?

Either way, I completely agree with your list. I wish Publishers weren't so stingy about re-releasing games from their old IPs.

al-azad posted:

I don't know what happened to the BattleTech game announced last year. They showed an awesome video with a dude fighting an Atlas and that was it. Nothing more ever came from the project.

I imagine it'll be a 2012 release at this rate, so it's a bit early to see much more than that teaser. Either way, if it's still in active development, I'd bet we'll see more at E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Wow, really? The rights to these games can be handed-off so fast it's hard to keep track anymore. So much legal paperwork with publishers, developers, etc. which is the main reason these games are still missing from digital outlets, I'd wager. Notice how most games on that list have multiple offenders.

Say what you people want, Oni was fun. :colbert: I think I got it for $10 at those computer show & sales. Anyone ever been to one of those? My brother used to take me to them back in the 90s and if you were a regular and got to know the vendors a little bit, you could get some pretty good deals. I remember getting a new, sealed copy of Final DOOM for $5 toward the end of the DOS era on one occasion.

Yup. I think the reason Take Two owns them now has something to do with God games being purchased by Take Two. I guess God games had some kind of stake in Bungie or something and when Microsoft bought Bungie all the old stuff went to them. I don't know the exact details, but I know God games is involved some how.

Also, Oni was awesome. It was a little buggy, the story pretty dumb, and the environments were sparse but the game was awesome. A modern game along the lines of Oni would be amazing.