Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Casao posted:

I make plenty of sense. I was referring to the DRM situation in general, I guess it just wasn't clear.

I meant latter, because iTunes only allows one download regardless of DRM/DRM free, Amazon only allows one and it's DRM free, etc. Most DRM-free downloads I come across only allow one download.

iTunes became infamous for having extremely strict DRM and so saying a DRM free service must act like iTunes sounds silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've never hard the fallouts not work on modern systems. I didn't even know that people had so much trouble with them. They even worked on Vista without patching for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could. And I'd totally pay $10 for a Digital Distro copy of DX that doesn't have any speed issues due to processor timing, power settings, or dual cores, and is easily compatible with mods (the Steam copy doesn't work with mods becuase of the altered .exe for Steam, you have to replace it with one from a patch and set the game not to update to get mods to work).

Edit: Especially if it comes with the soundtrack, like the retail copy of Deus Ex: GOTY did.

Something tells me that CDProjekt aren't the miracle workers you seem to think they are. GoG is a good service and all, but you don't really think they go deep into games' source codes do you? For one that would be a licensing nightmare, not to mention the sheer amount of effort it would take to actually bug fix these really old games for modern hardware. They probably just use patches supplied by the publisher or emulators on all their games to get them working right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

You're a dream wrecker, you know that? No poo poo they use emulators, it's common knowledge they use DOSbox for the majority of their games.

I don't mean to be a huge dick or to be overly stating the obvious, but a lot of people genuinely believe that CDProjekt has some magical touch that fixes every problem with every game they put on GoG. I've seen this kind of stuff mentioned before.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr Pepper posted:

When and what is this "GDC" they keep talking about on their blog? They say the publisher they'll announce at that is "big"

Game Developer's Conference later this month.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Painkiller is all about mindless shooting, and it makes no exceptions to this fact. That is precisely why it is such an amazing game. It's not afraid to be simple where it counts. It's as old school as it gets.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HappyHelmet posted:

I wonder what the chances of these guys picking up some old Microprose games are. I have an old X-Com megabundle thing, but its always a pain in the rear end to get working. If they were able to offer it in a working state for Vista on the cheap I'd be all over it. Ditto to Worms: Armageddon.

Worms: Armageddon will never work perfectly in Vista :(. There's even a guy still actively patching it and it seems like the Vista problems just get worse with each patch.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is widely considered the best in the series. It's still fairly accessible and really is quite awesome. Heroes of Might and Magic 5 is the modern one with 3D graphics, and plays almost exactly the same as 3, but can be a bit buggy.

They should just release HOMM 1 - 4 in a single $10 or $15 pack, I'm not sure I'd ever want to pay for only the first one (or any one of the first 4, for that matter).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

So it's only $5.99 until midnight on May 21st where it turns into a pumpkin costs $9.99. I might go ahead and get this then.

But, didn't the first HoMM have an expansion pack? I know the sequels did.

Ugh, even at $6 it's still kind of a ripoff. The classic series is 4 games and several expansions big, do they honestly expect us to pay $10 for every single one? That's ridiculous. I'd pay $10-15 for all 4, no more.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Silent Hunter 2 is kind of meh. I'd wait for SH3 to come out on it if anyone is interested in submarine simulation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Boondock Saint posted:

Me too friend, me too. One of these days it will happen, and it will be awesome.

I kinda wish the Ubisoft catalog would stop pricing everything at 10 bucks. I mean Silent Hunter II is being released for ten bucks on Tuesday but you can get SH III of off steam for 8 bucks last I checked.

Silent Hunter 3 is a very good game, especially with fan mods. It's much better than Silent Hunter 2. If you can get SH3 through steam for cheaper than you can get SH2 then definitely go for it. It's a pretty great submarine simulation game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

If there was, it'd be here:

http://www.letsplayarchive.com/

But I don't see it.

Only a small percentage of LPs get put there, so no it most likely wouldn't.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2589960 there it is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And for those of you interested in those types of games, East India Company comes out in a couple weeks and it looks fantastic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be fair, I don't really understand how any licensing agreement can make it so people who already bought a game can no longer access it ever. Steam doesn't do this, I don't think any game they have has been permanently removed from their service, even the games no longer for sale. Every game they've ever had is still downloadable by people who bought them.

It's kind of lovely that it wont be the case for GOG.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

No it IS the same. You still get the game in perpetuity if you aren't a loving moron. I'm sure they were sitting around a boardroom table when they signed the initial contract saying "Should we inform them that we're eventually going to pull this? Nah, it's fun watching nerds with no ability to cope vent on the internet."

And your hard drive dies? Or the dvd you backed it on to gets scratched? Then you're out of luck. poo poo can happen even if you aren't a complete moron.

Honestly, if it was in the contract to begin with that they can't continue serving the game if they stop selling it, then they should warn the user, instead of telling us that we'll be able to download it forever. It makes me wonder how many other games we could lose forever that they aren't telling us about. It's really irresponsible of them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

If I scratch my 360 disk then I need to buy a new game. If I burn a GOG on a CD that they no longer offer, then it's still my fault. I don't see a problem with this.

The problem is that you should be able to redownload, since that's the entire point of digital distribution. But whatever, this discussion is already over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is a discussion thread, about this service. Within, we discuss things relating to the service, good or bad.

Jesus Christ, you're insufferable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

Why would they add it if that were the case? As a previous poster mentioned this isn't about the relationship between the publishers of TOCA and GoG, but the publishers and THEIR licensees.

Because it was the only way to get codemasters games? I'd be willing to bet that actually ALL codemasters games on the service cannot be served to customers if they ever stop being sold. The reason they aren't being sold anymore is because of the car manufacturers not allowing codemasters to. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the reason they wont be served to people who bought the game. That was most likely an issue codemasters had with the DRM free service.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seriously, $10 each for each individual HOMM game? Who the hell are they kidding? I was expecting $6 each when I first heard they were going to release them eventually and I still thought that was too much.

HoMM 1-4 is something I'd expect to see in a steam package for $15. Not 40 loving dollars.

GoG has a nice collection but they're horribly overpriced sometimes. At least M&M 6 is the best in the series.

edit: poo poo, yeah, M&M 1-6 for $10 is a pretty good deal. That's the type of pricing I can get behind.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Halibut Barn posted:

A Japanese company called Acquire, apparently. They're still releasing new Wizardry games in Japan, but they don't seem to have any interest in other markets. Maybe GoG can still strike a deal with them on the basis that it would be GoG doing all the work anyway.

A deal to put the old Wizardry games would be pretty awesome. I never played those, because they sound like such a gigantic pain in the rear end. But if they can make a good deal out of a package of them, then that would be nice.

It may be Interplay who still holds the rights to the old Sir-Tech games, I'm not sure, so GoG probably wont even have to deal with Acquire.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BeanBandit posted:

I'll probably avoid M&M 6. Those live actors in cheap ren fest outfits are odd and disturbing.

Yeah, they're a turn-off, but they only appear in the portraits and the game truly is the best in the entire series. Mandate of Heaven is loving fantastic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OptimusShr posted:

New weekend promo Postal 1 &2 for $11.98 until Monday.

Not worth it. Postal 2 isn't even something you can enjoy ironically.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

It was a weird deal, they bought the sequel rights and of a online game if Interplay didn't had one ready in like 5 to 10 years, or something along those lines.
If GoG looses FO I predict a big shitstorm incoming, since it's one of their main hooks.

Both you and Unwined are a little off. What happened is that Bethesda licensed the right to make Fallout sequels. A year after that, Bethesda decided they'd rather buy the ENTIRE IP. This means Fallout is no longer an Interplay product, but 100% Bethesda. Interplay doesn't even have the right to sell the old games anymore. In the same deal, Bethesda licensed to Interplay the rights to make an MMO.

The reasoning I suspect is behind this is that Bethesda knew that Interplay would start making GBS threads out really terrible online fallout games that would muddy up the brand name, which would be bad for them since they now had the rights to make multiple sequels in the main line. So Bethesda being pretty big decided that the best solution to this was to buy up the entire IP and simply license the online rights to Interplay. In that license are really restrictive terms that required Interplay to raise a certain amount of money and start production within a certain time limit, and they've since failed to do so, with Bethesda pulling the plug on them.

It was a pretty savvy move by Bethesda, because now they own a revitalized license with a ton of interest in it and multiple products being developed for it, and they don't have Interplay making GBS threads out horrible MMOs potentially shying customers away from the series. This lawsuit is the final step in completely removing any link Interplay has left to Fallout.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

I thought that was what I said. I guess I got the timing of when they bought the IP wrong, but other than that...

But other than that you were right? That's why I said you were just a little off. It's a pretty important distinction, none-the-less, because there was a year or so where Bethesda had the license to make FO3 (and 4 and really as many as they wanted past that) but they had nothing else. The gap shows a that there was a change in attitude at some point and they started being pretty hostile towards Interplay, which this lawsuit is an end result of.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Overwined posted:

Myst, Tropico, and Divine Divinity are mediocre games :confused:

Divine Divinity is, certainly. Myst... eh... I guess the housewives liked it.

Tropico owns, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doodmons posted:

That's it, I've caved. I just bought Jagged Alliance 2 and Freespace 2. I WAS SAVING UP FOR A LAPTOP, GOG. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?

Ah, who am I kidding, buying those two will stop me from buying a full priced game and I'll have saved money. Curse you, shopaholicism.

Excellent choices.

Now head to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233 for a Jagged Alliance 2 update and a tutorial on how to apply it, and http://www.fsoinstaller.com/ for a great FS2 source port. These both should probably be done even for first playthroughs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is this the right time to rant about how each individual HOMM game costs $10 but M&M 1-6 all together costs $10? Seriously, I really want to get some HOMM games off of GoG but there's no way in hell I'm doing it for $10 a pop, that's absurd. I'm just going to assume that Ubisoft is to blame for this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Since I got a new widescreen monitor I've been experiencing a weird thing with the resolution of all DOSBox games from GoG and Steam (and other misc DOS games I have) when running in fullscreen. Like, I'll set the resolution to my monitor's, but the left and right sides of the screen will be cut off. Does anyone know what's causing this? I have a 16:10 monitor and this even happens with actual 16:10 games like Covert Action.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No, both were really really good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

They'd have to secure Crystal Dynamics which means securing Eidos which means securing Square Enix so who knows. If they did secure Eidos then that means we'd probably get Omikron which is impossible to run on anything that's not Windows 98.

And getting the original Tomb Raider games would be kind of cool. And maybe the lovely FF7 and 8 ports with the fan patches already applied.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nessin posted:

Nothing was wrong with Master of Orion 3 on a conceptual level (yes, it was buggy and unbalanced to all hell). While you can debate whether it was a "good" game, it definitely wasn't bad, especially for its time. MoO3 was just different (or, more accurately, too different as it was still a 4x space game), and if you got past the bugs then it was rather enjoyable unless you were specifically looking to micro-manage your empire. Of course since the game was designed to allow you to micro-manage your empire, hating it for that aspect (which most people did at the time) is completely ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but the MOO3 was an irredeemably bad game with fundamental design flaws.

edit: If you even briefly consider getting MoO3 because some of the basic features sound appealing, you should turn down the idea and look up Distant Worlds instead. It also has some flaws to it but it's being actively patched and improved and does a few of the things MOO3 tried to do, but does them substantially better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never knew Turok 1 and 2 came out for the PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I've never played an ultima game in my life. Huh, go figure.

They also need Rocket Jockey.

That store had a copy of NOX in the box, sealed for like 9.99

Shadow Warrior for the MAC for 18.99

Strange place that Korean used game store next to a pep boys.

Ultima 7 was probably the pinnacle of the series. Amazon marketplace has Ultima 7 Complete for $10 used, but obviously will be missing the original box and manual and junk). You can install Exult, a cool fan-made open source engine that works on modern systems. Ultima 7 is probably one of the best 2D isometric RPGs ever made.

I only suggest going to amazon because it's pretty apparent that EA will never put a single thing up on GoG.

In other good news, typing this post made me go over to the exult site, and holy poo poo there's actually active development! Some enterprising fellow for a little while has been slowly plucking away at the source code fixing bugs and implementing features. The latest CVS snapshop for windows is from just april 29th.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

How is Jagged Alliance 2?

One of, if not the greatest turn based tactical game ever made. It is incredible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, I don't play tabletop wargames so I can't tell you exactly how close it is to those, but I think it's a different type of a tactical game. It's like X-Com but the combat is much more in-depth and tactical.

See the thread dedicated to it for more information and an awesome mod that should be installed right away: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Well, that's like those 5 inch floppy disk games. But they remade Bubble Ghost for the original gameboy and I played the poo poo out of that game.

I was trolling online for abandonware sites, the underdogs really went to poo poo. I don't want a massive collection, I want to browse and remember titles and cherry pick the best. GOG needs to speed this process up!!!!!

5.99 game packs with 80-89 year DOS games, like 5 in a pack would OWN!

Abandonia is probably the best abandonware site out there. Not nearly as big as HOTU's collection but it's been updated regularly for the past 10 years it seems.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shalcar posted:

Thanks to this thread I have bought JA2 and got the 1.13 patch. I've never played this game before. What sort of ride am I in for? I adore X-Com and managing loadouts, so I'm thinking it's going to be amazing. Don't fail me Games!

It's a little different from X-Com, there's less Macro. You control much smaller squads of mercenaries (usually not more than 6) in a much more precise and in-depth manner. But I guess if you like managing loadouts, you'll love JA2 with 1.13 because there is just so much poo poo, with a pretty sweet inventory system.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

i'm not anything close to a gun nut but JA1.13 has ruined me for FPSs that purport to give you a large choice of weapons, especially guns that have picatinny rails modeled but not used (BAD COMPANY 2 RAWRGH)

also ammo-mix-and-matching

basically what i'm saying is everything i know about guns i learned from JA1.13

The new attachment system currently in development for 1.13 is going to ruin even more games for you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Disciples II is pretty as gently caress, though. It's fairly hard, and I don't think it has a random map generator. So if you like randomly generated sandbox-ish games, then Disciples 2 falls short in that manner. The campaign is decent, though.

And battles are completely different. They aren't really tactical, but almost JRPG-like. There's no real positioning or anything (only front row, back row), and you take turns inputting in commands like attack, use item, etc. And you aren't recruiting huge numbers of guys, but small parties that level up over time and can branch out into different classes. It's kinda sorta like a gothic turn based ogre battle with directly controllable battles mixed with HOMM now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Threep posted:

Also I haven't seen it mentioned, but Disciples III has been out in Russia for half a year and a supposed English release in July. A friend is playing the Russian version and called it something like gothic HoMM5 with more tactics.

But... is it any good? I've only really seen screenshots of it and it doesn't really look all that great. I never really got too into the series or anything so it wont be a big disappointment if it sucks.