Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

No wishlist of "games I want to see on GoG" is ever really correct without the Lucasarts adventure games.

Speaking of which, who actually has the rights to those?

all of lucas arts adventure games are still available on the shelf, you can just buy them and dump them in SCUMMVM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I got the disk release of the Another World high def- remake, the text on the spine is upside down. It looks goofy on my shelf :(

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

raezr posted:

I did rate them with a low number of stars. I didn't write any reviews since I'm not the type of person who writes reviews on online stores. I didn't write any positive ones either. What I do doesn't really make a difference on the overall balance of positive/negative review content.

Well if you didn't write a negative review... and I didn't write a negative review.. Uh oh!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

mexicanwarlord posted:

Op needs to be update to include, DOES NOT TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS. Had my cart full and ready to go till the checkout ...Derp...Visa or Mastercard.

Can't you just use PayPal for that?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Why does Outcast run in this tiny window?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah the opening of Outcast was so loving long and BORING. I didn't wanna skip it because I might miss something, but gently caress.

When I saw "Bruno Bwhatever Presents" I got kinda excited. He's the Alone in the Dark guy, right?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

Outcast was a console game?

I think he's just comparing it to some of the common poo poo we have to deal with on PCs these days with crappy console ports being the norm.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Theme Hospital works fine on XP and Windows 7 for me, what's it do for you?

I like Blood 2. Dual wielded sawnoffs is the best.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I Finished the AA mission after a few goes. I think everyone just had sniper rifles and I loaded them all up on drugs as soon as the mission started.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Kingpin is the best first person shooter. Needs a sequel.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Industrial posted:

It's a sad state of affairs when I can torrent a game but cannot access a legally purchased copy of the same game.

Uh, commonplace activation/install-limited DRM has meant that pirating a game is easier than installing a legit copy of it for a few years now. You should probably just get used to it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Industrial posted:

I don't agree with that, DD services are the fastest and most convenient way to get a game downloaded and installed into a playable state. The obvious exception being when you are denied access to your products.

Yeah, I guess you're right, Steam is pretty easy to use. I guess I mean it's not uncommon for your off-the-shelf boxed copy of the game to be a pain in the arse to install.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
You can buy all the baldur's gates and IceWind dales on an 8 disk set for about $20 at most EBGames' still today.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
But if you don't install Baldur's Gate from the original CDs you don't get the loving blaring advert for Descent 3 scaring the poo poo out of you at the end.

Your loss.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Elmo Oxygen posted:

You joke but there's a really great PS:T promo vid on one of the BG or Icewind Dale installs that I haven't found anywhere else.

Yeah the PST trailer is on the disk for Tales of the Sword Coast, I think.

Installing the entire set of IwD1 and 2 and BG1 and 2 treats you to some cool trailers along the way.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

This is an attractive deal, considering that if these come to GOG, they'll probably be in the high price bracket, and sold separately. OTOH, owning a game via GOG is almost more exciting than owning the boxed version of an old game these days.

Slightly related, when I bought Torment way back when, it was 6 CDs strong. With the game fully installed with all content, then archived in a .7z, it shrinks to around a gigabyte in size. There was a time when I swear publishers were deliberately offering games in huge multi-cd packages just to exaggerate the amount of content in them.

I'm pretty sure back then all the backgrounds and sprites were using really poor compression so they took up a shitload of space, and I don't think we had MPeg compression for the FMVs, either.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

What's weird is that Torment comes in 2, 4 and 6 disc versions.

Yeah Baldur's Gate 1 moved from 6 disks down to 2 after a few years when they recompressed the whole game with new techniques. Then they just put it on a DVD later on.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah I think Lowtax is on a gravestone in one of the IE games.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
IwD2 doesn't support OpenGL or Hardware Accelerated graphics at all. It really sucks. It looks a fair bit shitter than HoW because of that.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

If I recall, there's a NPC on town somewhere that will teleport you over

There's an NPC for Heart of Winter, there's a door for Trials of the Luremaster. Both in Kuldahar.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Koskinator posted:

What? You get to ToL by talking to the halfling in the Lonelywood inn(inside HoW), not through any door.

I was way off, sorry it's been years.

Mug fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 7, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Goon sirs, I am at a crossroads: Should I get Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition on Xbox Live Arcade (Around $10), from GoG (Same price), or get an original jewel case copy for $15-20?

I was just looking for a boxed copy on ebay and it's really hard to find. I'd recommending getting the XBLA and GOG combo and skipping the physical option.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Anatharon posted:

I did a quick Ebay search and found a copy.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Duke-Nukem-3D-PC-Games-1994-/270668567853?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f051a952d#ht_972wt_905

Too bad shipping is an extra $10 to Canada.

Yeah, I'm looking for it boxed.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Messiah is a bit broken. If you possess a policeman, all the police trust you, but if you run into some police who are shooting some monsters and you try to help by pulling out your gun and shooting the monsters too, as soon as the fight is over, the police turn on you for using a weapon.

I got upto the last boss when I was really young and the game was okay, but it really needed a few tweaks to make it "good".

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
A fantastic game, indeed. Already played it through once, though. I think that's about all you'll get out of it.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

I want American Revolt with working multiplayer.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're not a contender at all, though, since they re-release old games with no DRM whereas Steam is a DRM platform mostly for new games (and their old games releases are almost always broken).

But yes, GOG rocks.

Yeah, gently caress Kingpin on Steam. Doesn't have the opening FMV.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Time Commando is a loving awful game. I haven't played it since it was a new release PlayStation 1 title and it was loving terrible then. I'm sure it's a shitload worse now.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Worms (and Reinforcements/United) is the only one I ever played and I played A LOT. Very happy about this. I hope you can play without the United pack because it fucks up the ninja rope a bit.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I still have all the original Syndicate releases on my shelf. The nice big boxed european ones with all the floppies, the american revolt one, and also Syndicate Plus.

Going to be nice to not have to gently caress around with dosbox or VDMSound to play it. Six dollars gently caress yes.

edit: No, wait, I'm supposed to say "gently caress you GOG you're devaluing my video game collection for a cheap dollar!!!!"

Mug fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 17, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Bleh, syndicate doesnt work fullscreen for me. Works fine in a window. It's just black full screen.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'd say Deus Ex for sure. Do you guys know if the PC port of Soul Reaver was any good? I have some serious nostalgia for the Dreamcast version.

The PC version is a port of the PlayStation version. Just play the Dreamcast one, it's the best by far.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Cryostasis is a good game, but it's a technical loving toilet. I have a top of the line PC, an older PC with dedicated PhysX hardware card (yeah, a loving PhysX card) and all sorts of bullshit in between.

NOTHING can run Cryostasis properly.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
THEE HOPSITAL FUUUUUUCCCKKK YEEESSSSS

Life's loving over. This is it, pack it in boys. I'm outtie. Thanks Gog.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Life's good. Everything's good.

On to dismiss dying patients to save own's reputation.

73% Chance of diagnosis

Send patient home.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

How's the Playstation version of Theme Hospital, out of curiosity? It's been up on the Playstation Network for quite a while, but the fact that no one has brought it up here in the past any time Theme Hospital talk/wishing was happening leads me to believe it's probably not worth it, especially with this release now available.

Dumb controls, runs bad and no music.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Is the GOG release of Theme Hospital the DOS version? What the hell?

Does it come with the Windows version, too? The DOS version was hideous.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

GoG.com seems to favor the DOS version of games when available, probably because of how easy it is to get them running smoothly thanks to DOSBox.

Also, this is hideous? :confused:

That's DOSBox, but that's not the DOS version of Theme Hospital. The DOS version doesn't have SVGA as an option in the menu at the top.

I guess they worked a bit of GoG magic on it?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

scamtank posted:

drat lie. Even the DOS demo version was SVGA by default.

e: beaten by miles

I guess my VGA adapter didn't allow SVGA in DOS for some reason. Well there you go. I always played the Windows version under 98 because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Hey, Soul Reaver. Nice!

The Dreamcast version is a lot better, but this is still cool.