Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Pantheon posted:

Everyone should buy Messiah right now.

So just how lovely did this game end up being? That game got hyped to poo poo back in the day.

Also I remember Arx Fatalis being kind of boring am I wrong here??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Retrograde posted:

I've got the Planescape pack from Walmart though i've never played it, i'm pretty sure it's only two discs (while the original was something around 4 or 5) because they removed a ton of the movies/spells from the game to make it fit. So i wouldn't consider the Walmart version to be definitive.

The version of Planescape I have came in some weird rear end dual pack with an adventure game about mummies or something starring Tim Curry. I'm not even joking.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Mr Pepper posted:

They don't just do gog.com, they also made a little game called The Witcher.

I must be retarded because I never put that together.

Mr Pepper posted:

Painkiller

And this is always the right answer.

The two games I really want to see on there is Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Rocket Jockey. Come on now both are well deserving. Also I'd like to see an Alone in the Dark anthology thrown up for good measure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

404notfound posted:

Rocket Jockey will probably be tricky to get working on both XP and Vista. It works on XP if you use a fan installer, but it still requires the CD to be in the drive. Same with Vista, although my experience has been that you get some really weird input lag under Vista, and I tried pretty much every "old game remedy" there is.

On top of that, both the developer and publisher no longer exist. I have no idea if it's even possible to secure a deal for the game.

Didn't SEGA just absorb all of the SegaSoft stuff?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Armed & Dangerous was really fun but the thing that stood out to me was that is had the worst compression on its CG movies I have ever seen. Seriously the cutscenes (where most of the humor was) looked like absolute garbage.

Oh Planet Moon why aren't you allowed to make anything cool anymore.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Plavski posted:

You should get Painkiller.

Emphasizing this. Everyone should buy it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Rise of the Triad was loving hilarious. The game and the levels made absolutely zero sense (Nazis in mazes with jump pads) but I loved it. Also

Fragmaster posted:

Ken's Labyrinth had a very Wolf3D-like engine (With AWFUL art...probably because Ken did it himself) and had some interesting features like crouching, standing taller (I don't know why that would be useful...Standing on your tippy-toes makes you more imposing maybe?)

Haha what the hell?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man that's a really interesting article about ROTT. I love game histories like that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Manhatten Project is actually a really solid and really good 2D action game. I recommend it. I wouldn't really call it a platformer though. It's basically a Bionic Commando Rearmed version of the first two games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
See?? After all those horribly lovely 3rd person Duke Nukem games they finally got one right with Manhattan Project even if it wasn't the game most people wanted.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Nanpa posted:

Also, I'd like to ask how good Painkiller, Arx Fatalis, and Gothic 2 are.

Painkiller is one of the best FPS games ever made. It's like a crazy gothic version of Serious Sam and has some of the best weapons ever in a game. The stake gun is insanely fun to use. Seriously every should buy it and its expansion Battle Out of Hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Vidmaster posted:

Earth 2150 and 2160 are pretty fun. Both have some pretty cool features, though 2150 is the more complex one. There was a ton of unit customization, and you could do poo poo like building an underground tunnel complex and then popping a huge invasion force up into the middle of your enemy's base.

I never played 2160 but 2150 was pretty neat. The it's complex as gently caress though so I had my fun by playing skirmishes that allocated resources over time (instead of you having to harvest them yourself), building and designing my own units (which is way cool), and then dropping nukes on people. RTS fans should really like it especially if you love to micro-manage.

Dominic White posted:

Personally, I preferred the original Serious Sam to Painkiller. Don't get me wrong here - Painkiller is good, but it didn't quite have that 'Keep shooting and never, ever stop' sense of escalating panic that made me love Serious Sam so much.

No it's definitely a different take on the genre. Everything in Painkiller is more deliberate and a bit slower. I love both of them though (even though I was a bit let down by SS2). I sure hope Croteam is working on something neat now. And who knows what the hell People Can Fly are doing after they got bought by Epic. Probably making loving patches for Gears of War 2 instead of another cool game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I don't get why they felt the need to "reboot" the series or whatever. I was so excited when I heard Worms was coming to the XBLA and then I was all "oh, it's Worms 1?" :what:

Armageddon is still the best and trying to play 1 again was painful.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Does anyone know if Gothic I or II or Arx Fatalis will run in windowed mode? I like RPGs like that to pick up every so often while I'm working and being able to have it in a little window on my screen makes it so much easier to do so.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Why would you buy Far Cry? Didn't Ubisoft release it for free a while back?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh I didn't know Far Cry was a temporary US only thing. My mistake.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ChimpyMonkey posted:

GoG just released Far Cry for $9.99. If I hadn't already bought it twice on Steam, I'd be grabbing it.

:raise: Why?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well that's tempting. TOCA 3 is a really good racing game. Once of the best actually. No idea about Screamer but I might have to give it a shot.

Second Sight is really good too for anyone looking for a unique story driven action game. :lol: Messiah but I never actually got around to playing that.

All in all this is a drat good deal. Now I'm tempted to buy something. :saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't know what the Ishar game is but it looks hilarious and the writeup is awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
^^ FlatOut 2 blows. "hey let's get rid of vehicle damage and make it super hard and also gently caress up the physics so hitting a discarded bumper will send you shooting twenty feet into the air costing you the race!" :waycool:

Lamacq posted:

Anybody know if any of those racing games are any good? I don't have a racing game on my PC (hell the only racing game I have is Mario Kart DS) and that FlatOut game looks kind of tempting for $3. I'm guessing I probably wouldn't have the patience for a more realistic racer like the Toca one and the 1nsane one looks a little weak.

They're all loving fantastic actually. 1nsane is a great little checkpoint racer that actually has a lot of user mods and content out for it. It's sort of like an early version of Smuggler's Run style gameplay.

FlatOut is better than it's sequel and is basically a Destruction Derby style game focusing on destruction. Almost everything in the environment can be driven through and unlike FlatOut 2 your car is actually affected by damage so once you blow your shocks out your car bounces all over the place hilariously. It's a drat fun game.

TOCA 3 is what GRiD should have been. It's a really solid, fun TOCA style game with good vehicle handling, nice damage, and a ton of difference race types and car classes including big rigs!

I've already bought 1nsane and I'd get FlatOut if I hadn't beaten it into the ground. I'm definitely getting TOCA 3 since I've been hemming and hawing about it for a while. Probably the best thing to play with on the PC is a simple wired 360 controller.

e: the one problem with the FlatOut games is that they're shallow as hell. what vehicle you pick barely matters and the upgrades are linear to a fault. they also don't have locational damage like a proper derby racer should so the actual demolition derby modes are worthless

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 21, 2009

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Overwined posted:

SO I'm torn between 1nsane and Flatout. I really want a fun little racing game. My question is, which one works best without a joystick or anything? I really don't want to invest in some kind of controller for one fun little game.

They're both really fun but FlatOut is a bit newer and you'll probably get more mileage out of it.

SixOhSix posted:

Actually you're only showing one side of the argument on why people are split between 1 and 2. The first one was must more of a simulation racer and the second one is very arcade-style driving and physics. So it really depends which side of the spectrum you're more into on which you'll like.

I wouldn't call the first game a sim as it still had very arcadey physics. It was definitely more grounded which to me made it a hell of a lot easier to control. The second game threw poo poo all over the track and hitting a pile of rubble was a complete crapshoot as to whether or not it would completely end your race. And wasn't the third game basically a remake of 2?

Either way Destruction Derby 2 is still the king of the genre because it's still the only derby game that's gotten vehicle damage right.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

FLX posted:

Singleplayer-wise though, I'd choose FlatOut, but if you have a couple of buddies who'd be into this as well, definitely go with Insane.

Actually yeah I wasn't even thinking multi. Man it's been years since I played 1nsane online.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If you don't own Painkiller you hate fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The only reason you wouldn't think Doom was linear is that it makes you wander around and hunt for key cards. It's not like you ever had a choice of where to go.

Painkiller just avoids that whole issue and gives you a poo poo ton of enemies to destory. :black101:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Blood is still the best game ever made. If you don't have access to it now and don't buy it when it's released you're terrible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well this is weird. I didn't use GOG as much as you nerds but it sure was an awesome service.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Entorwellian posted:

Not that I'm saying you are wrong, but SA doesn't say they are shutting down for good and then coming back up a few days later with a "just kidding!"

But they say right there on the page that they're going to let people keep downloading their purchased games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So they updated their website's layout? HOLY BALLS STOP THE PRESSES :supaburn:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Kill yourself Nthman.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

TheRedEye posted:

Fun fact: I have lost 40 lbs. and quit smoking since I left GameTap. That was by far the worst job I've ever had, I may need therapy.

Were you there during the awesome reign of the GameTap exclusive American McGee's Grimm?? :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

I just played through Blood for the first time a few weeks ago and had a blast. :v: Certainly more fun than I had with any of the Id games.

That said, I played it on the easiest difficulty, Still Kicking. I found that it has few bullshit moments (apart from the expansions - the Gothic Library in Cryptic Passage, and the entire Post Mortem campaign, can gently caress right off), but it's extremely unforgiving of mistakes - getting careless equates to getting dead.

Worth playing just for the entertainingly over the top weapons and death animations, though.

Tommy gun cultists will just chew straight through your health if you're not careful but luckily just about everything else can be dispatched with ease. But then again I've been playing Blood regularly since the game was released so I'm probably a bad judge of that. :v:

Still my favorite FPS of all time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hussar posted:

This is pretty neat. Gog just announced a buy one get one free deal for their D&D rules games till the 28th.

http://www.gog.com/page/promo_buy1_get1

And any D&D game purchase will come with The Temple of Elemental Evil

Demon Stone looks so out of place there. I heard it was decent though, think it was done by the same guys behind the good last-gen Lord of the Rings brawlers.

Also as someone who's never played any of these, which one y'all recommend??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's kinda...crunchy technically but well worth a playthrough. The atmosphere is off the charts.

Also if you have a PhysX enabled card you get a weapon that trivializes most fights, something I didn't even realize wasn't originally in the game until after I beat it.