Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I don't understand why they have Broken Sword 3 but not 1, which is a shame because I've been looking to get it again now my disks are really scratched.

The speculation is that they're remaking BS1 for the DS so they didn't want to cut into those profits.

Still really, really sucks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

No wishlist of "games I want to see on GoG" is ever really correct without the Lucasarts adventure games.

Speaking of which, who actually has the rights to those?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is Simon the Sorcerer more like Lucasarts adventure games where they're fun and challenging or Sierra adventure games where if you don't click on a pixel on the second screen you can't beat the game?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Topware Interactive is the next publisher up.

I don't recognize any of these games except Septerra Core, which I heard was thoroughly mediocre.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This just popped up in the Steam thread:

quote:

Ubisoft Classics Pack - $9.99

* Dark Messiah: Might and Magic (normally $9.99)
* Far Cry (normally $9.99)
* Beyond Good and Evil (normally $9.99)
* IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (normally $9.99)

Kinda takes the thunder out of having the Ubisoft games on GOG.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Something called Ishar 1 + 2 and Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey have been released.

Disappointing releases this week :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Microïds but no Syberia

:smith:

I didn't even know Microids made any other games beyond Syberia and the other Benoit Sokal games.

Where are my Benoit Sokal games :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

It is indeed Under a killing moon. for 9.99.

It's also Tex Murphy 1 and 2 for 5.99. Overseer and Pandora Directive are coming soon at 9.99 each.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Nobody would ever expect LucasArts to release their back catalog...

I hope "It's not something you expect" means more "pleasant surprise" than "here's some obscure poo poo."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Pandora Directive up for 9.99.

If anyone's played this, can you tell me if they added wasd movement to the first person parts? Having to slide my mouse all over the place was a bit irritating. Also, are there any more "stealth" sequences in this game? The one in Under a Killing Moon was terribly annoying.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

How is the character customization after character creation? Are there any options as far as things like "builds" go or is it just a matter of getting new items and finding new spells?

Comparisons to D&D would be pretty useful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is there a solid beginner's guide for the Realms of Arkania series? I made a party (after like 2 hours of rolling) with the help of some character creation guides, but then I got plunked down in the middle of a giant city with a billion houses and I have no idea what to do.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Okay wait, is that one of the good GG games or one of the bad ones? Also, does anyone know if it supports a 360 pad out of the box? I really, really want a 2D fighting game right now and a good GG would scratch that itch.

Same questions, but also does it have online play? If so, how and is it any good?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

To deviate from the speculation and inevitable disappointment, does anyone know how to get Dwiggs to work with Age of Wonders Shadow Magic? I downloaded Dwiggs 5.0, patched it up to 1.4 using the unofficial patch, and then installed Dwiggs on top of that. Now my game won't work, and I have to uninstall/reinstall it all to get it back to 1.4.

I set it to use Custom Resources > Dwiggs in the Config menu. Should I have downloaded Dwiggs 1.4 or something?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tried that, the game just won't start up afterwards. It gives a runtime error 217 that I can't find reference specific to AOWSM or Dwiggs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

All I care about is Grim Fandango working on modern setup and mother loving Armed and Dangerous which comes from the makers of Giants.

I'm still skeptical about LucasArts. Discounting Star Wars, Loom is probably the only game I could even remotely stretch the first clue to.

I dunno about the rest of you, but The Dig did a lot more to make me think of alien life than any Star Wars game ever did.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can anyone provide any yay or nays for the Dark Fall games?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Wait, I thought their policy was that if they yanked a game they would keep it available for download to people who already purchased it. What's the likelihood that they actually pull these games completely?

They've done it before, but I forget the game. I think it was some racing game? Colin McRae, maybe?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Oh wow. I wonder what this means for the JoWood games on Steam too.

They might disappear from the store, but chances are they will still remain in the library. A couple of games have done this, as well. I can't recall any game that disappeared from people's libraries.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Would someone who really enjoyed The Longest Journey (but hated the way Dreamfall ended halfway through the story with no sequel in sight) like the Syberia games?

Syberia isn't as "epic" as The Longest Journey and the protagonist sorta becomes a non-character in the second game (from what I remember), but gameplay-wise they are very similar. I think Syberia may even have better puzzles too, as I don't really remember a bad puzzle on the level of the inflatable duck, but it's been a while.

The soundtrack kicks rear end, too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Weekend promo is Anuman games 50% off. Includes:

Amerzone
Haegemonia Gold
Iron Storm
Megarace 1 & 2
Megarace 3
Still Life
Syberia
Syberia 2

Seems like the Syberia games are the ones to get this time around, but can anyone recommend the others?

Amerzone is a Myst-like game set in the same world as Syberia, so something that is like an inch shy of wondrous. I don't think I played past the third chapter though because of a weird bug that allowed me to entirely skip the second chapter.

I liked Still Life well enough when I played it back in the day, except for that bullshit cake-making puzzle. You'll know what I mean if you ever play it.

Haegemonia was fun, sorta like a precursor to Sins of a Solar Empire. I recall it coming out around the same time as Master of Orion 3 and completely overshadowing it in every way, but MoO3 lowered my expectations in a way that playing anything else afterwards would be an amazing experience.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

gmq posted:

I'm thinking of playing Baldur's Gate but I'm not sure if I should buy both of them or just the second. Any suggestions?

The first is a weaker game and takes place in the worst levels of D&D (1-9? If even that far?) However, there are some parts in part two that you would get more out of if you had played part one, not the least of which are all the various characters that pop back up again.

I'd say get both because they're both classics, but if you only have money to spare for one, just go with the second.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is Dungeon Keeper 2 better than Dungeon Keeper 1 in every way? In other words, is it worth buying DK1 when DK2 is hopefully on the horizon?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm actually really surprised no one has just straight up copied the MC formula for an XBLA game or something. It's really simple, but a lot of fun and works well for multiplayer, too. And there aren't any other games like it so you could probably attract at least a minor community.

For those who don't know what it actually is, it's a first person (flying) game in which you play a dude on, naturally, a magic carpet. Your goal is to run around killing random mobs and "paint" the yellow orbs they leave behind with your colour. You choose to build a castle at any location on the map, which spawns a balloon that flies around and gathers orbs of your colour and takes them back to your castle.

This generates mana. The more mana you get, the bigger your spell threshold grows, the more powerful spells you can cast, the more you can upgrade your castle. There are like 20-something spells that range from massive lightning bolts to humongous fireballs to, as has been mentioned, erecting volcanoes out of the ground. In multiplayer matches you of course compete against each other, but because of the variability of the powers, i.e. terrain deformation, it gets really goddamn crazy at times.

Magic Carpet 2 introduces (I think) underground levels, the later ones of which are goddamn huge, so it becomes a spelunking game on top. The further you go away from your castle, the more you risk someone attacking it, but the bigger chance you have of getting loot and upgrades. There are also huge goddamn bosses and neutral cities and stuff later in the game. It's goddamn brilliant, and I totally want to play it right now :allears:

This description makes the game sound like Sacrifice, with possibly more terrain deformation and less using creatures to attack.

Man, Sacrifice was awesome.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Are any of the Age of Wonders games worth blowing a few more dollars on and never playing for more than a couple hours?

Shadow Magic is the only one you need to buy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

Speaking of Space Hulk, has anyone here played the remake they did? It was 3DO/PC and had a bunch of fancy (for the time) pre-rendered sprites.

Honestly, I don't know if it has more or less charm than the original's hand-drawn sprites because I never got to play more than the demo on a 3DO disc. That was a while ago.

I don't remember too much of the original Space Hulk, but you should check out Alien Assault if you want something very, almost suspiciously, similar.

The game is either balls hard or I suck at Space Hulk, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You can also drop cows from the stratosphere.

The god who gives you the cow spell is (a reference to) Earthworm Jim*.

But Sacrifice is undoubtedly a great game with amazing personality. The last mission is a bit of a kick in the balls, but other than that, it's just a phenomenal game through and through.

*Note that they share no personality traits in common.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

Looks like this weekend's promo is half off all Might and Magic games. I might pick up M&M1-8 now. http://j.mp/o0ldq8

I've always been curious about the HM&M games, but they always look very low budget from the screen shots.

I never thought of them as low budget, but they are just old. Might and Magic 6, especially, did not age that well graphically. It is still a fun game, though. That being said, I really wish someone would make a mod or something for Might and Magics 1-5 (at LEAST 4 and 5!) so that they have more modern UI amenities. God I wish I could mark my minimap or know what my items did without having to refer to a guide.

But for old school dungeon crawling, it's hard to go wrong with the Might and Magic series.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

Microsoft owns that one unfortunately, but who knows what the future holds!

This. This is the future.

I'm hoping for the Wing Commander and Ultima games, personally. Never played either to any considerable degree back in the day, so here's hoping to fix that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

But early on, it does a lot of things modern First Person shooters do.

Ultima Underworld is a corridor shooter with regenerating health?

Anachronox isn't a particularly fun game to play, but it's a fun experience. The real strength of the game isn't the gameplay, but the characters, ideas, and dialogue. It's just really funny and entertaining, even if the actual gameplay is not. I think Anachronox probably would have been better as an adventure game, honestly, but I can't complain too much about what we actually got (aside from the fact that it ends on a huge cliffhanger).

Going through Wiki, I found this:

quote:

Hall remarked in 2010, "If I don't do the game in the next 10 years, I'll just write up the rest of the story and put it on my website for closure, how about that?"[

Only 9 more years to go, folks :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Out of curiosity, is there a reason to play the PC version of Ultima 4 if you've already played the NES version? Wikipedia doesn't really state that many differences aside from the party limit, but the NES version looks (and sounds?) much nicer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Kennel posted:

Is that a worrisome dip or just a return to normal levels dip after the flurry of the EA stuff?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Smol posted:

D&D games up to 60% off this weekend.

That is sort of an evil sale, since I see it and I'm like, "Oh I don't really need to play Demon Stone or Dragonshard," and then I remove them from the list and I notice they are pennies off the total. Why would you do this to me GOG :(

Guess I'm out $34.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

VisAbsoluta posted:

EDIT: Any of the Master of Orions are worth it if I never played them back then?

Master of Orion 2 is still the best space 4x. Not that there's been much competition in that particular genre, but still, it's pretty fun. I don't think it's even that hard to get into, seeing as how I figured it out when I was like 8 or so. There's no in game tutorial or encyclopedia, but right clicking on most things will tell you what it does.

Master of Orion 1 is still pretty good, but a lot more basic.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm fairly certain the quality of the story is inversely proportional to the quality of the combat in each of those games. But you should probably get Planescape. Just be prepared to read and not really care much about min maxing your characters so that you can kill entire rooms at once. That's not what the game's about!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So what was it that made MM9 so terrible? I mean, it only has 2.5 stars on GOG, and they give drat near everything 4.5+.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Half the game was buggy. That's pretty much it. Quest triggers wouldn't work, crashes occured all the time. 3DO never fixed it after released, so MM basically ended with this as its swan song.

Bad memories all around.

So I guess the moral of the story is that longstanding, classic RPG series should end at number 8.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

It's weird how people seem to be giving it genuine 4-5 stars. Anyone not in the know might mistake it for Good old game.

The first part is pretty intriguing until you realize that all the buildup doesn't lead to a very satisfying conclusion, to say the least. I can see people giving it a 4-5 star rating if they assumed the game ended on a cliffhanger when Lucas goes Matrix/Super Saiyan for the first time.

And then of course these guys didn't put Heavy Rain on the PC.

I think what really irked me the most about Indigo Prophecy was that the hype building up to it was filled with marketing spiel about CHOICES and whatnot. Being young and naive at the time, I actually thought, wow, how are they going to make a game where you're the cat and the mouse? How tense! How awesome! But no, all the "choices" and divergence pretty much occur in the first scene.

And then at some point you play QTE basketball and QTE boxing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Pardon?

Start the game as a multiplayer game, if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Skip the RTS minigame though since it is terrible.