Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mr Pepper posted:

Someone tell me what the Gothic games are like in terms of gameplay. I really enjoyed the witcher and I've been itching for an RPG to play since then (I guess fallout 3 kind of counts). I've read good things about it, but I've also heard that the game likes to kick you in the balls, teeth, and rear end whenever it can in terms of difficulty.

They're pretty brutal, but pretty awesome once you are a total badass. Just can't leave the beaten path for quite some time and even then it's ok to run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Constantine XI posted:

Something tells me $10 is a little overpriced considering I can buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape in one pack at Wal Mart for the same price.

Then do that, this is for people that can't or who would rather not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Something tells me that CDProjekt aren't the miracle workers you seem to think they are. GoG is a good service and all, but you don't really think they go deep into games' source codes do you? For one that would be a licensing nightmare, not to mention the sheer amount of effort it would take to actually bug fix these really old games for modern hardware. They probably just use patches supplied by the publisher or emulators on all their games to get them working right.

You're a dream wrecker, you know that? No poo poo they use emulators, it's common knowledge they use DOSbox for the majority of their games.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't mean to be a huge dick or to be overly stating the obvious, but a lot of people genuinely believe that CDProjekt has some magical touch that fixes every problem with every game they put on GoG. I've seen this kind of stuff mentioned before.

Yeah but nothing he mentioned concerning Deus Ex is out of the realm of possibility with DOSbox. The game is currently unplayable on modern systems due to the aforementioned speed issue.

Games with bugs will still have bugs, but at least we can play them on Vista 64.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

kode54 posted:

Unplayable on modern AMD systems. Intel Core processors run the processor timestamp counter (RDTSC, which the original Unreal engine stupidly uses for timing) at a constant rate, regardless of core or current clock speed. So, no speed issues there. (Under Linux, this feature is reported in /proc/cpuinfo as the constant_tsc flag.)

gently caress, so that's the issue? No wonder considering all my systems are AMD.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Does anyone know if Gothic I or II or Arx Fatalis will run in windowed mode? I like RPGs like that to pick up every so often while I'm working and being able to have it in a little window on my screen makes it so much easier to do so.

Gothic 1 is extremely playable in windowed mode. Not sure about the others.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The 360 release is fine if installed to hard drive, but that's neither here nor there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

There used to be an LP of it a while back, but I think its been shuffled off into the Archives.

If there was, it'd be here:

http://www.letsplayarchive.com/

But I don't see it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Master of Magic would be a great game to play in a window. It works awesome in DOSBox back when it was available from the Underdogs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The ignorant also tends to be the loudest. It's unfortunate that GOG has to deal with them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If I scratch my 360 disk then I need to buy a new game. If I burn a GOG on a CD that they no longer offer, then it's still my fault. I don't see a problem with this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Then don't buy it.

Vote with your wallet if it bothers you that much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Except that the people this affects are people who already bought it

Then they can burn it to a CD, as I have already said. They're getting a heads up on it.

Overwined posted:

It's the tradeoff for no DRM, pure and simple. With Steam if your internet connection breaks you can't play any of your games. With GoG if someone gets squirrelly about their license you lose the ability to DL it. Don't act like Steam can be more free and unfettered than GoG. They both have their limitations.

This is exactly why I'll never use steam. My gaming PC doesn't have an internet connection.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Smegma Enigma posted:

Thanks to this thread I am installing Gothic 2, it looks pretty awesome. This thread also made me remember playing old Krondor games. What I wouldn't give to play Return to Krondor again...

Just don't give up - the game is brutal. I beat Gothic 1 and 2 but then got my rear end kicked in Gothic 2 Gold.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

royallthefourth posted:

Are the controls in Gothic 2 as bad as the original? I'm up to the first town in Gothic and I'm already about to give it up because I can't stand the interface/controls.

You'll get used to them. I actually changed the controls in Gothic 2 to match Gothic 1 because of how much I played the first game. It became second nature.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Raptors are tough, but there isn't a better feeling than destroying a group of them late in the game.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

FLX posted:

Gothic 1 is really awesome, yet after I played Morrowind, it wasn't "open" enough for me anymore. I finished G1, got Morrowind right after and never went back (even though some of my friends urged me to try G2 and 3).

Gothic 2 Gold is great, stay the gently caress away from Gothic 3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Grim Peeper posted:

Someone on the first page mentioned that the Crusader games would never make it to GoG. Why? :smith:

EA

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Aventine posted:

Someone on SA actually did a really awesome LP of Sanitarium. Its worth reading the whole thread because one of the guys that developed it turns up and starts answering questions and dispensing interesting trivia. Should be up on the LP archive.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Sanitarium/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The nice thing about BG is that there are plenty of mods to add poo poo like higher res support, widescreen support, etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I still have Arcanum boxed at home. It's a pretty drat good RPG.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I repurchased BG1/BG2/Expansions and Arcanum when I found them on DVD. Not having 6 cds to go through is great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

In the first massive dungeon I remember doing a ton of firing arrows and running away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_1_2

Tex Murphy 1 & 2 are free until Dec 24th.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Free games:

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/000

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

FLX posted:

Got the email too and finally Divine Divinity sitting on my shelf. I don't know if I'll ever have the time to play it, but here's to hoping :cheers:

Don't let the beginning dungeon wear you out - it gets much better once you are past it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

meatbag posted:

I bought it a few days ago, is there anything I should know? So far it's somewhat of a slogfest.

I haven't played it in years. All I remember is that it took me forever to get through the first dungeon because it was so long and a pain in the rear end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I beat Gothic and regular Gothic 2 but Gothic 2 Gold handed my rear end to me. Oh god.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I should just start it again with a faq. All I want is to see what the new quests entail.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Haven't touched Risen yet but am looking forward to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Divine Divinity has a party? Maybe my memory is shot but I solo'ed the entire game.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rereading that, he was probably talking about M&M6, carry on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

glug posted:

Since I've finished it about 1.75 times, and probably am on to bigger and better things, we might could reach an arrangement. PM me or hit xxx if you'd like a near brand spankin' copy for a bit less ducats.

Got the game, thanks for not loving me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don't play Arcanum after hearing from everyone how awesome it is, you are bound to be disappointed. I personally love the game, but I can understand how it's not for everyone. I put it up there with BG2.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't remember having many issues with combat, with the exception of the golems where I had to run back to get poo poo repaired all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No it's down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I need to replay this with the high res patch. Holy poo poo widescreen come to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Can Arcanum be played in windowed mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

glug posted:

open your shortcut, add -windowed right after the "blah/arcanum.exe" outside of the quotes.

Works great if you use the high-rez patch, and set the size to something smaller than your desktop. I am using 1280x1024 on a 1600x1200 desktop and it makes for easy guide/manual/fart tabbing.

As I'm picking up ME2 soon, I'll probably start off with a gigantic retard :)

loving awesome. Now I can play it at work :dance: