Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

rockinricky posted:

Another good thing about GOG is that they're not limited to selling in the US.

Not just this, but the prices are identical no matter where you live. They made a news post about it a while ago, a pretty obvious dig at the often strange and unfair pricing schemes on Steam for people outside the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rocket Jockey will probably be tricky to get working on both XP and Vista. It works on XP if you use a fan installer, but it still requires the CD to be in the drive. Same with Vista, although my experience has been that you get some really weird input lag under Vista, and I tried pretty much every "old game remedy" there is.

On top of that, both the developer and publisher no longer exist. I have no idea if it's even possible to secure a deal for the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Jetsetlemming posted:

If anyone can iron out the technical issues of Deus Ex, CDProjekt could.

It should be noted that they didn't fix the weird slowdown issues with UT classic, which runs on the same engine. They have a support article on how to get around it, but the GOG version has the same problems as the Steam and retail versions.

\/\/\/ Deus Ex isn't a DOS game, dude

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr Pepper posted:

I really wish when they have announcements like this, they just announce them all at once. For those on a budget, staggering announcements just makes me wait until the last one before I buy something to make sure I get my favorite game if it comes out.

Tell that to Nintendo with their Virtual Console.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy loving poo poo, I used to play the single shareware level of Cannon Fodder over and over as a kid. Hopefully they'll get the second one too at some point.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, but also I don't think the two services are meant to be overlapping that much. It's inevitable, given that any publisher who goes the digital distribution route will probably want to put their games on as many services as possible, but the original purpose of GOG is to provide good old games. Obviously, that's open to interpretation, but I think everybody can agree that games like Far Cry and Sands of Time aren't really the sort of thing that GOG was designed for. Not that it's a bad thing to have them available for people who just don't or can't buy them on Steam.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Children are missing from the GOG version of Fallout 1, but are there in Fallout 2.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Charles Martel posted:

Just a heads-up, DOSBox .73 is out and includes a nice list of improvements!

Downloading now. :)

Here's something I never thought about before: are CD Projekt going to update all their installers so that they'll use the latest version of DOSBox? Or is it sort of a "good enough" thing? Ditto on the few games on Steam that use DOSBox (Commander Keen, etc.).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I never played the Might and Magic games, but since I enjoy Ultima and the Elder Scrolls games, it looks like it might be worth my time. I know that with Ultima, at least, you can pretty much completely forget about the first three games; is anything like that the case with the Might and Magic games? In other words, which ones are the most worth playing, and does it matter if they're played out of order?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I don't get the hatred either. Their service up until now has been top-notch; clearly they're not just a bunch of guys out to dick over as many people as possible. It didn't go the way they planned, but no permanent damage was done. Are the customers really so fickle that they can't show any forgiveness for one bungled publicity stunt, when everything else has been great so far?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My membership time goes up every day, just like the value of my Steam account :smugdog:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

rt4 posted:

I still have my Wing Commander SNES cartridge :pwn:

I still have my box of the original PC game, complete with the blueprints for the four ships and the Tiger's Claw magazine/manual :smugdog:

I know I posted a picture of it all here some number of months back, but I'm too lazy to go dig it up. But it and Ultima 7 were probably my first major PC gaming experiences. Last I heard, though, the Ultima series is in some weird legal limbo where neither EA nor Garriott really have the rights to do anything with it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To give this post more meat, you know what old game I want on GoG? One I would buy in a heartbeat?

FREE MARS! :black101:

Dunno how badly you want the first one specifically, but http://www.tribesnext.com

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Between IWD and TOEE, which is the easiest to just pick up and play (well, after patching)? I don't like having to read a FAQ and min-max my characters, or make saves every five minutes, just to have a shot at actually completing the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The MSJ posted:

I thought the whole point of a two weapon system was to limit the ways you can fight at any given moment, so you have to face the situation it the tools you got and also encourages you to plan ahead. If a developer made all weapons equal, it's a really bad design decision.

The point was to make a system that works on the limited control scheme of a console controller, where you don't have easy access to the whole number row.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gog.com - Who cares what happened, they got Baldur's Gate 2 now!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The map builder tool for the free Steam game Alien Swarm has an option to randomly generate maps. Granted, it uses a tile-based system and the random generation is only while you're editing a map and not done on the fly, so you have to save it and then load up the map to play, but it's definitely possible to have randomly generated 3D dungeons.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

One game on the horizon that's big on procedural generation is Subversion, made by the guys that brought you Uplink, Defcon, and Darwinia. The development blog goes pretty in-depth about all the aspects of the game and the game engine.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

closeted republican posted:

It wasn't much of a sale; they were $7 USD instead of the usual $10.

This, this is what Steam has done to us. 30% off? Wake me up when it's 50% at least.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gary Whitta has been involved in both games and film. He was editor-in-chief of PC Gamer, and was the screenwriter of Book of Eli. He also consulted for some games like Gears of War.

Of course, whether you consider those to be "good at writing" is a matter of personal taste.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's...too realistic to be funny. They should explode when you taze them too much.

This happens in GTA: Chinatown Wars.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh weird, never would've expected Guilty Gear, of all games, to show up on GOG. Bought it just for the soundtrack; I'm not into metal but the music happens to still be catchy as hell (May's theme is one of my favorite video game tunes ever).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

pigdog posted:

The final choice, "Infogrames", was a slightly modified version of that suggestion, and is pronounced /ˌɪnfoʊˈɡræmz/ in English." -- Wikipedia

oh geez I've been pronouncing it wrong this whole time

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I want this and an "Ultima Collection" featuring I-VII.

I can dream :(

There is an Ultima Collection, and it features Akalabeth plus the Ultima games from 1 to 8, including expansions.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy hell, it's been a long time since I looked at anything Wing Commander, but it's astounding how much Shotglass looks like Principal Figgins from Glee.

Though I do recall I always thought he was Indian. Makes it weird to hear him with a cowboy accent. Also weird to see how I still remember the lines, like about Shotglass talking about those "fleabags" or Paladin saying how Salthis tend to veer to the left.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did you guys not get the game from the Elder Scrolls site or what, because specific instructions for how to install with DOSBox are included right in the zip file.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I just remembered that I still have this sitting around in my apartment, so I decided to share :v:

And yes, I did buy the game on GOG as soon as I saw it was released.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Christ I wish they would have kept the Olde English out of the reference card. The book of magic was kinda cool and addressed parts of the game without being too meta, but this is telling you commands to input on your computer. They could have left the Thys at the door.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh man, speaking of Tyrian, I'd love to hear a cover of Rock Garden with real instruments. That was probably my favorite video game song for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIulQxZryDw

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For a real case of abandonware being an issue, I can point to some of my own doing. Several years ago, I got a copy of the Ultima Collection, which was a CD that had Ultimas 1-8 plus Akalabeth. I lost the disc after a while, so I tried to look for a place where I could download it online. I couldn't find a single one, nor could I find an actual retail location that still sold it. I eventually bought another copy from a less than reliable eBay reseller (it came as just the disc in a generic jewel case plus a folded up manual), and sort of made my own decision that more people deserved to be exposed to the Ultima series. To this date, I believe if you look for an Ultima Collection torrent, you'll find the one that I uploaded about four years ago.

Except here we are now with the Ultima games being made widely (and legally) available again through GOG. So does that Ultima Collection torrent still count as abandonware?

I've decided that I'll take down the torrent I uploaded when Ultima 7 and 8 get added to GOG (Akalabeth is little more than a historical relic, so it's irrelevant). But even if I do that, the ISO is out there now and I'm sure it wouldn't take too long for it to pop up again.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

It's also an area code in Ohio. :v:

But regardless, it's a red herring - it's numbers between 419 and 451, not those two numbers themselves.

"Between" isn't the operative word, it's whether it's inclusive or not, which most people outside of a math or computer science background tend to ignore. When you say "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10," it usually implies that 1 and 10 are included.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Speaking of Simcity, the Android version is up on the market now, for five bucks.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

wretched_gavek posted:

all I want to know is when they are getting outwars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75ISKFBz6Y

Oh man, I just realized I used to play this demo a lot as a kid. I remember one of my teammates kept getting attacked and yelling "they're on me like white on rice!" over and over.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh god drat, I loving love Ultima 7. Really happy to see it finally get here.

One thing to beware is that there are a couple points in the two games where you can gently caress yourself over rather easily (in addition to being plain stupid like throwing away an important key or something). I remember finding Gustacio's little lightning experiment before talking to him, moving some of the items around, and then when it came time to actually do the experiment, it wouldn't work.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to suggest playing with a walkthrough, but it can be difficult sometimes to know what to do, where to go, and what not to gently caress with.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not that I'm itching to play it or anything, but has there been any news, rumors, or anything other than blind assumption that Ultima 8 might be eventually making its way to GOG?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Guillermus posted:

Or other maps playing with goons. UT99 is also a game that even netbooks can run smooth and really easy to set up lan matches.

Was there ever a satisfactory solution for the incompatibility with multi-core/speed-limited setups? I was never able to get it running at a consistent speed on my laptop.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Syndicate.

gently caress. YES.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I'm kinda stoked for Syndicate coming out tomorrow. Does GOG tend to release at the same time of day? Would it potentially be up by midnight PST? I'm wondering if I can stay up and squeeze in an hour or two of the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For the moving NPCs, press T. It'll pause the game and bring up a cursor that you can single-click stuff with to interact with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Songbearer posted:

Look forward to Carmageddon: Reincarnation still by the same lovely chaps :3: You can also read about their older games on there.

Be sure to check out their TDR2000 page under History.

Just look at how crazy these dudes still are. It's almost heartwarming.

What... what the hell :psyduck:

They took a bunch of cars, gutted them, painted them, and then smashed them into each other like bumper cars, just for fun?

How did these people end up making a video game?