Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Yooper posted:

We assembled our first super today. Ordered a nuc through a local beekeeper of "mutts". Dude is a bit of legend and has been beekeeping for like 60 years or something. We are very excited to get the bees in place and start on this journey.

Hey! I’m also starting out as a beekeeper this year. I’m keeping it to one hive for now, but if things go well I might get a second next year.

My area has a really great beekeeping association that guides newbies through the process. In addition to offering mentors, they put out weekly videos about how they’re managing 12 group hives. They’re doing a package installation day in mid-April and I’m excited to get started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

We installed our package on Saturday. I’ve had a blast watching the bees with my son as they go in and out of the hive, and I can’t wait to do my first inspection this weekend.

The first problem I’ve run into is that I can’t tell how much sugar water the bees need. I’ve got a black frame feeder, and I really can’t see how far it’s filled. Is this a problem for anyone else? Do people use a dipstick to check how full frame feeders are?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Did my second inspection yesterday. The girls are doing good work, they’ve got lots of larvae and capped brood going. My son put on my wife’s jacket and watched. I was also able to pull off a big piece of burr comb they had built into the feeding frame, both boys loved that.

I regret not getting a second hive!