Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hi bee thread. I'm getting boxes/kit this weekend and hopefully a nuc this spring. I plan to start with an 8-frame deep and an 8-frame medium. Should I add an additional deep right away since the nuc is already going to have 5 full frames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Alright, I’ll see if i can get an additional deep this weekend. I’m in the PNW so don’t need to worry about heat.

I watched a U of Arkansas beekeeping course and am currently reading The Backyard Beekeeper. I hope my bees like me (survive).

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ouch, what do you think was the cause?

what’s the mite situation like in bc?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Picked up a NUC this morning and put the bugs in their new box

They were really chill, but it's also ~50f and raining a bit. I assume that's why they're not doing orientation flights.

I added a mason jar feeder with 1:1 sugar/water and a pollen patty to the top of the bars, with an empty super around them, then the inner cover and finally telescoping cover. I couldn't find consensus on whether to put the inner cover over or under the food. :shrug:

Next week I'll see how they're progressing and, if needed, add frames to the super and place oxalic acid strips between supers.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

thanks, I wanted room for a potential second hive

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my bees swarmed while i was painting a second hive and about to make a split. they've been 50ft up a tree for 2 days now. :negative:

i placed the second hive and baited it with lemongrass oil. some bees have shown interest, but the swarm hasn't moved. if they don't relocate to a place i can capture them i'm going to split the remainder of the hive once i see fresh eggs, then hopefully they can rebuild before winter.

2 months from a NUC to swarming out of a double deep. i'm impressed

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Most (??) of the swarm returned to the hive today so I split it. Saw tons of honey but no eggs, though it was fairly dark out. Moved at least one capped queen cup into an empty hive with a few frames of honey and workers.

Reading tells me the first hive is going to swarm again since that's the vibe, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

I'll check again in a week or so and see what horrible mistakes I've made.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Prepped my bees for winter.

cozy bugs. look at those pants! :shobon:

I have some OA pads in there and see very few mites on the bottom boards. Should I gas them with OA before winter really sets in?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm in the PNW and trying an insulation method my Bee Guy(tm) recommended - a lot on top, a little on the sides - to limit condensation to the sides. I added some candy boards on top with fondant/pollen, and after they empty the jars out front I'm going to make the entrances really small.

This is my first overwintering. My bee guy said he gasses his going into winter, but I don't have the kit for that yet. May try to see how they fare without it as they've been strong colonies so far.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

McGurk posted:

I'm setting up my first hive and I understand that southeast facing is better for sun in North America, but is it okay to put the hive under or near trees? The trees are all deciduous so it will get exposure in the winter but I'm worried about spring/fall being too shady. I'm in Oregon if it matters.

Under trees should be fine so long as the entrance doesn't get blocked by leaves

Update on my prior post re: gassing them --

The pads in the hives are old and probably long dried out, so I gassed them a couple days ago. Found a fair number of mites on the boards the next morning. Seems more OA was the right call :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Prairie Bus posted:

I regret not getting a second hive!
Keep it up and you'll need somewhere to put all those extra bees next season