Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BryE
Aug 8, 2007

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I ran across something interesting regarding cell sizes. Some folks are claiming that wild bees build much smaller cells than the typical size found on pressed foundation. The argument is that the larger sized cells result in larger bees but it also promotes mite infestation.

These guys (I've also come across posts of theirs on the Beesource forums) are the folks making the claim. They recommend using foundationless frames and allowing the bees to return to their natural cell size.

I have 1 piece plastic frames and am thinking about cutting out the foundation and giving the foundation free framing a shot. I have enough frames that I could experiment with a single deep to see how it works out. If things go horribly wrong I can swap out the foundation free frames with the normal plastic ones.

Hopefully I won't kill my colony doing it this way but I think it's worth the risk to avoid using any harsh chemicals.

From what I understand, smaller cells make smaller bees (duh). However, smaller bees mature a few days quicker, which means the mite embryos don't have as much time to mature in the cells alongside the bees, which leads to mite populations that increase more slowly. If the bees also have hygienic behavior, then the bees and mites can live together in the hive without the mites getting out of control and killing the colony.

You can check out the info here and make your own foundationless hives. Then, when your bees try to swarm this spring, you can split the hive and move half the bees into the new hive. I have two of these hives sitting in my shed - they're just waiting for the bees to arrive this weekend. Maybe I'll start a thread on top-bar hives this fall, and let everyone know how it went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU