Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
If we have someone that comes and sprays pesticides every month or so in our backyard, could this be harmful to the bees? I live in California, and if we don't have this done, hundreds of spiders/ants invade our house in the summer and winter. We really want to start a hive, but I don't know if we can now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How loud is the sound of the bee hive? I'm getting my Russian bees on saturday, so I'll try to post some pictures of when I install them.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I installed the bees today and put in an entrance reducer, but it seems to be hindering their way inside. Should I just remove it?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I have a pretty small backyard too and it's almost getting out of hand. I wouldn't recommend it if your backyard is that small. You could do it if you don't care about bees running in to you all the time.

Touchy, how many days did you wait to check on the queen? I have an entrance feeder and they're going through that crap so quickly I'm going to have to make more syrup tomorrow. I'm not too keen on doing that, cause they're all swarming around the hive.

Is it better to inspect a hive in the evening or during the day?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I'm really worried because I just inspected the hive today and I couldn't find the queen anywhere, even though she's marked. I saw a lot of cells with clear liquid in them, some bright orange, but no capped cells (honey?). And I took the queen cage out and there wasn't anyone in there, so she definitely got out, I just have no idea where she is.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
what kind of bees did you get?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Finally have an update. Sorry the pictures are so crappy, my brother was kinda far away.

The rest are too far away to notice anything. I saw a lot of larva in various stages of development, and they'd drawn comb on about 4 frames. I hope they fill up the box by next week.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I added a second body to my hive last week. I'm going to check them on Saturday and take pictures. Has anyone else added a second hive body? How long does the pollen/nectar flow last? I'm wondering if I will be able to get a honey super up in time. It's almost the end of May but my bees keep on bringing craploads of pollen.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My queen is apparently not doing well. They are making supersede cells to replace the queen. I'm not sure if I should let them do it or order a new queen. It's been five weeks and they still haven't filled up the first box so I just took off the second one.

This really sucks...Advice is appreciated. I don't know how I'm ever going to find the queen anyways.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Are you guys still feeding the bees tons of syrup? I swear to God I go through 10 lbs of sugar a week. It's costing me a fortune. Is this normal?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How is it that every beekeeper tells me you won't get honey the first year and yet most of you have supers filled with honey. :( Mine haven't even filled the second brood box.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I've noticed that my bees are really pissy now when we fill their feeder. I loathe the boardman feeder, you have to fill it twice a day. My dad got stung twice already. Are your bees more aggressive?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I live in norcal. All the bee books told me to feed them syrup until they had filled both boxes up. I just put my super on so naturally I took off the feeder. They're making really dark honey.

You can see the lil eggs there..Build my pretties!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My hive still hasn't touched the super and it's been a month. :( Also, they keep making supersede cells.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Not recently, but there's tiny eggs. I know she's there, I'm just wondering if the bees think she's not preforming up to par. I think my queen is mediocre. I've had this hive since April 26 and they still haven't filled all the frames of both boxes.

I've registered my hive in the hopes that someone will inspect it and tell me if this is normal or not. Does the state inspector usually call beforehand or what?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I don't even check the bottom anymore. It's way too heavy and the last time I tried I messed up my back and killed a bunch of bees. :S But I noticed that the bees are using the bottom mainly for food storage and honey and the top for brood. Kinda strange how that happens. Yeah, I don't think I'm getting honey this year, despite them being super active all the time.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Do you guys have any 'tricks' to make the bees draw comb on the super? Mine's been there a whole month, and still no progress whatsoever. I really want to put a frame of bees in there, that really helped draw out the second brood box. The problem is that the frames are too big for the super.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, I've read a lot of arguments whether or not it's a honey excluder so I don't know what to think.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Hell, I guess I'll try it. It can't hurt.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I took out the queen excluder and there seems to have been an explosion of bees. Now they're all over the super, I really wish I had taken it out much sooner.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I hate you. I'll be lucky if I get one frame. My bees suck.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow this is weird. I just opened the super and it was packed with honey (6 frames). I guess they waited till everything hatched and now they're filling all the empty cells with honey. I don't get these bees, but at least I'll get honey, yay!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow that's really dark. Nice color. Walrusman what kinda bees do you have?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My beekeeper said to use apistan or something. But I'm not going to medicate until I see a problem, those medications are drat expensive.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Well I got some fall honey a while ago. It tastes delish! I'm in cali and I dunno about you guys but my bees are bringing a crapload of pollen in the hive. Spring?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Have you guys noticed a lot of bees dying? I saw like 20 of them on the bottom, dead...I really should have checked to see if they had enough honey. Bahh!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
^^You should be able to find packages somewhere. I also live in Contra Costa county, not far from you actually. I starting looking in March, I think you should start calling places right away. The place I got it from was Bee Genetics near Davis.

For the winter I didn't do much other than put an entrance reducer, the bees are totally fine. They'll go out throughout winter since it doesn't get that cold out here. Make sure you put the hive on an elevated stand and put moats of motor oil or vegetable oil or something otherwise you'll get tons of ants in your hive.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That one looks like the one I have. Works just fine. just make sure you get a wide hat, if not the beekeeper hat, otherwise bees will be able to sting you through the mesh.

Has anyone started giving the bees sugar syrup? I still have my super on the hive because it had a couple frames of honey inside. Did any of you replace the queen? The bee book says to do it but I don't know. It's hard enough finding her.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Just checked my hive and I think my queen is dead. Which means my hive is totally hosed. WHY GOD WHYYY?! I'm so sad.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I didn't look very thoroughly because the bees were really agitated but I need to confirm whether or not I have a laying worker or a failing queen. If I have a laying worker I'm definitely hosed. I didn't see any queen cells. :(

I saw a bunch of drone cells and empty cells...It doesn't look too good.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What I saw was a frame with domed drone cells spotting the area and a bunch of empty cells. I freaked out because normally you never see drone cells. Maybe 1-2 per frame if that. Then I rechecked today and saw some worker cells and a bunch of empty cells. I think the bees hatched recently. So the queen isn't dead. There was only one egg per cell. But now I'm stuck with brood in my super cause I left out the excluder. I'm wondering if I should switch the bodies around. Do you guys check all your hive bodies in each inspection? I tried doing the 2nd box, but the frames are glued so well I couldn't get one out, even with the hive tool.

I'm so glad my queen's not dead.

But if you have a laying worker, ordering a queen will not solve your problem. The bees will kill the queen every time, guaranteed. Because they think laying worker=queen.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Melodywise: That sucks, sorry. Have you thought about trying Russian bees this time around? They're supposed to be hardy against cold weather and disease resistant.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
just added a second super cause the hive is really overcrowded. And I switched the hive bodies. How do you know when you're supposed to add a third hive body? does that even happen, or should you just keep adding supers?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, I mean the deeps. I have two deeps and two supers. I took off the queen excluder originally because the bees just weren't going inside, but now they're raising brood in there. For the second super I added the excluder.

When I say they're overcrowded, I mean the hive is jam packed with bees. I think they might be running out of space. When I opened the hive all the frames were covered in bees.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Ishmael you might wanna put the legs of your hive in tubs of some sort of oil otherwise you'll have an ant invasion. Just to let you know.

Tanisen that looks crazy. I hope that doesn't happen to my hive. Is your hive just one deep?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
:s I hope they don't kill your queen!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That's weird. I wondered what happened? Have you been able to find the queen?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Ishmael, you said you built the hive with a mesh underneath, right? That might make them too cold. I think the lack of access to a feeder might have done them in as well.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah :S. That looks pretty bad. You should get a new package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My hive swarmed today. What a nightmare. I successfully got them down the tree into a box. Then I got the super off my hive and put that into another box, then dumped the bees into that box with the super. They keep going back to the tiny box even though I put sugar syrup in the one with the super. Stupid bees! I really didn't wanna swarm.