Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
They'll just "get up" later, that's all. If moving the hive isn't too much trouble I'd do it. I think they'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Sometimes they build supercede cells and take them down when they change their minds. It's really weird.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Bah, I visited the hive today. What a disaster. They've been building things really strangely, sideways, despite all the frames crammed there. Bees were REALLY pissed. I don't like doing this anymore. There's too many bees. Too aggressive. Lots of brood in the supers--I don't put a queen excluder because it always blocks the bees from moving up. I tried putting back the frame we collecting, they were too pissed to let me. Weee third year. :( I think I'll ask for your help next time Leperflesh.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
So, my idiot brother and father decided to move my 4 box high hive today without any kind of protection, no support for the bee boxes, nothing. I told them to wait. I told them to be prepared. So guess what happened? The bottom box slid off the other three, brother gets stung, he panics and drops everything. The whole goddamn thing toppled over, cue stinging and massive bee death. They finally got smart and wore full length suits, still got stung, moved all the boxes causing hundreds of deaths.

I'll be lucky if the bees ever let me anywhere NEAR the hive now, they're so pissed. Hopefully the queen survived. I'll probably wait a month to open the hive again, maybe not ever, I don't know.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah they didn't really think.

There's still a lot of them hovering at the old location...

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Well it was at dusk when they attempted to move it. My dad wants to work on the fence and he can't bring in workers if the beehive is right next to it. Right now there's hundreds of them flying around in the old space. They're really confused.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah the top picture looks like a supercede cell. It's ok. Bees often build these, take them down and change their mind, build them back up again. It's weird.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
It's normal. They're doing their orientation flights. Bees do orientation flights when they're old enough, what they're doing is imprinting on the hive so that they remember the way back home. You should probably take out that entrance reducer. I don't know where you are but it's getting kind of hot. Also, why do you have so many boxes already?

Edit: The only thing weird about it is that they're doing it so late. Usually you see orientation flights 10am-3pm. I've noticed that it gets more intense the hotter it gets outside, probably because the population explodes in summer.

Maximusi fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 20, 2011

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I think weed honey tastes the best. I moved to a place with very kept-together lawns and tons of the same flowers and...I don't know. The honey lost the spiciness to it. I think the more wildflower crap you have, yes weeds and poo poo, the better the taste.

Oh god what if they have marijuana farms and make weed honey. What would that taste like? So many possibilities!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Swarming sucks :/ So does that mean they had a queen all along? What I did was I had to cut off a branch, and then I just shook them into the box.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Thanks for the offer but I can barely handle this one. You should keep it! The boxes are expensive but hopefully this will be the last time you have to buy em.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I harvested like 9 frames of honey this weekend. It's more yellowish than usual. I miss my drat wildflower honey! We moved to a place that has a lot of the same flowers so the taste isn't as spicy.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow that's really strange. What happened?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow that looks delicious. I wanna try your dark honey! Would you be willing to do a trade?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My bees are in danger of exploding. I think that they're thinking of swarming. DON'T SWARM!

They've just been more active than usual. A lot of them out. It must be the heat or something.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I have Russian bees and they seem to be really docile. I've also read in several bee books that Russians are the most docile of all the breeds...Ask 5 different beekeepers, get 5 different answers.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
So a lot of bees have been flying around the entrance and there's lots of bees clustered near the opening...I'm really worried that they're going to swarm but its way too late in the season to swarm! What the hell are they doing? I really gotta check the hive. Any thoughts?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I like to have a person help me harvest because the boxes are extremely heavy and awkward to carry. Otherwise, very little maintenance. Make sure you either have extra frames or you replace the frames back in the box after harvesting or you will be very sorry.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
You guys don't need classes. Seriously. Just get the Beekeeping for Dummies book. It tells you exactly everything you need to know. And hop on Beesource: http://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?240-Bee-Forum

I did it and I've had the same hive for 3 years. Though I kind of hope they die. I want to try Italian bees.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I checked my bees finally and the queen is failing. That's one of the annoying things about beekeeping, have to replace the queen all the time. Though the queens don't ship until April, and by that time my hive will be dead. Oh well!

Pagan: Yeah, I could, but then I would have to somehow find the queen and murder her (easier said than done). I don't think I've ever found the queen except once when I was just starting out. And there's no guarantee the bees will accept her.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The pattern is really bad and there are very few bees.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Haha. Don't worry about it. It is kind of hard to find.

I think my bees are all dead. :(

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Not sure if its colony collapse disorder or what. I think the queen was too old. She was at least 2 years old. It's really hard because how are you supposed to replace the queen in time when most suppliers only ship them out in april? By that time it's already too late.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
So many bees in my hive. I thought they were dead, but nope!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I opened it up and I've got a varroa mite problem. Do you guys use Apistan or the grease patties with mineral oil?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What about grease patties + wintergreen oil?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Nope. They were trying to create a bee that produced more honey, but it actually turns out to produce less.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
There's a recipe online probably. You could make soap, chapstick, candles, anything really. Just make sure you do it in a pot you don't care about, because the wax will ruin it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That's so sad. Poor bees!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Beekeeping for Dummies was actually really useful for me. It has everything.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, it's normal. The bees keep the mold down by cleaning it, once the bees die all of that sets in. You also may have not had enough ventilation in the hive. What happens to some hives is that condensation drips down due to lack of ventilation, and it's ice cold. The condensation kills the bees. The honey is runny because the bees didn't evaporate enough of the water out of it. I'm guessing it was uncapped? You should only harvest capped honey.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
So I had a hive sitting outside ready to go for my package arriving next week and a feral bee colony moved in. Sigh. I have extra boxes, but I wanted to use the bottom board of this one for the new hive because its screened. Stupid ferals! :argh:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Ah, maybe. We'll see if/when these hives get out of control. What happened? Why did you decide not to keep bees? :( I know your hive absconded last time, right? It's too bad, since you seemed to have a thriving hive.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Mine didn't survive the winter. My guess was the queen was old. Oh well, the hive lasted about 4 years so that's something.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The beekeeper supplier got back to me and said UPS killed 3 days worth of bees and that was why we hadn't received our bees yet. Oh and no more bees for the year. I'm kinda pissed off. There are no more bees anywhere and I really wanted to try Italian bees.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yeah, they're growing pretty rapidly. They're not Italians, but I guess they're as good as any. Perhaps local bees are better. I almost had wild bees invade a second box but I took it away before they could establish a hive. It wasn't in a good location. Pretty insane. If I had known all I had to do was leave my honey comb frames and boxes out and I could attract hives that way, I wouldn't have bought bees. Since it's been unusually hot in California, bee activity is pretty intense. Lots of swarms, I guess.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My brother and father decided to move a hive in their shorts and sandals without any protective gear whatsoever. They decided to use a wheelbarrow. The hive glue unsnapped and the brood box fell off. Cue really pissed off bees. My brother panicked and dropped the hive, abandoning my dad. Then they smartened up and wore protective gear and moved the hive piece by piece. The bees were extremely pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Stop disturbing the hive. You shouldn't check them more than once a week. It stresses out the bees and the smoke especially sets them behind. I'm getting bees next week, but I have low hopes for this hive surviving. My last one vanished inexplicably despite tons of honey stores. I bought medication for the hive because I've found that mites are a huge problem.