Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The picture of the bees in your car is both interesting and terrifying. I would've sweated through my clothes and probably the seats. I guess the outside bees were probably wondering how to get back inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My mother has been sending me honey from Arizona. I'm not sure what flowers are responsible but it has a lovely, mellow taste to it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

walrusman posted:

3) Place said bag in a pot that YOU NEVER WANT TO USE FOR ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN, EVER. Cover with hot water. You'll also need to use something to keep the bag from floating, or else it won't work. A big rock would do the trick, but I used a beer bottle.

But where did you get the beer bottle? :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I just don't understand the ordnance itself. What does 25' do? Either bees are near your house and you don't like that, or it's fine. 25' strikes me as a meaningless restriction.

Maybe 25' is enough of a distance that if someone like me sees a hive swarming with bees I won't shriek like a little girl and run for it. :blush:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ishamael posted:

Finally, something more happy: handfeeding my girls.

That's so cute. I didn't know you could do something like that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Buzz buzz buzz

I feel comfortable saying that that is a shitload of bees. :aaa:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When you're working on the frames how do you not squish bees, especially when putting them back in? They just seem to cover everything so densely.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tanisen posted:

Click here for the full 1459x1094 image.

We have bee-sign the likes of God has never seen!

Guess that new queen is doing her job. :gonk:

I'm no expert but that appears to be a shitload of bees.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My father took a picture this morning of an Arizona bee hard at work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Why do some flowers close up at night? There are some orange ones in my neighborhood that are very popular with bees and this morning when I walked by they were all closed up tight. I figured that if they stayed open night pollinators like moths could have a go at them.

Maybe those colors don't work at night.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was reading a Smithsonian article about how bees find new hive locations and it said that returning scouts beep when they're sharing info about where they've been, and they headbutt other scouts who found lower quality sites.

They beep! :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pagan posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get that taken care of when I open the hive this weekend.

The weather since I got them home has been terrible; heavy rain the past two days, and high winds today. Nonetheless, I saw some of the girls out flying around, so I grabbed my camera.

Already got plenty of pollen! Who knows, maybe I will end up harvesting some honey this year.

This is an amazing photo. Looks like she's carrying luggage! :3:

Do you have a larger version of it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pagan posted:

How much larger were you thinking?

I dunno. 1600+?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pagan posted:

Here you go; biggest I have.

http://warhams.dangerbearing.com/images/BigBee-8333.jpg

(sorry for breaking tables, I'm trying to make it a URL but I guess SALR automatically parses it as an image)

Thank you! Man you can see individual grains of pollen, and it's so fuzzy!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

From the GIF thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Speaking as someone allergic to bee stings there is no :stare: big enough for this picture.