Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Perfectly feasible as long as there are no restrictions on owning a hive and you register your hive with the local governing body.

There was a great discussion over on the BetterBee forums about a guy who had a crazy neighbor spraying his hive with insecticide from over a wall common to their backyards. The lady called the cops to report the beekeeper and the hive and when the cops showed up, they fined the lady and told the beekeeper that he could sue her for destruction of property.

Turns out in a lot of places you can't knowingly spray certain pesticides within a certain radius of a beehive and there are laws in place to protect beekeepers and their hives.
That's awesome! I am concerned about my notably bitchy neighbors. They called the cops on our "party" (re: about 10 people playing Rock Band at 8pm)

It gets really hot in Tucson (100+ F) does the hive need a shaded place or will it be okay just painted white?

Where do we go to register? I found out there's a bee research center near my home :3 So I think I will go down and talk to them about beekeeping. I think I might like to volunteer for a local beekeeper first before I dive right in to this...though I am really excited at the thought of having bees of my own. :)

edit: Bee Research Center: http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=53420300

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

bawbzilla posted:

Shouldn't you tell your neighbors anyways, so they know if they see some bees swarming one day, they should come to you rather than catch it on fire with paint thinner or something?
I probably have to tell my landlord though right? I wonder if I will need to pay a pet deposit...

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

topenga posted:

Hope it's not per pet. ;)
Oh God $250/bee would be absurd o_O But it does say a limit of two pets on the lease...but I think things like mice or turles or caged things don't count. Heck it's not like bees would ruin the carpet. :colbert: