Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Out of curiosity, what are all your opinions on the Omlet "Beehaus"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Hey, they're the same guys who make the Eglu, the iPad of chicken coops that was advertised on TV a while back:

https://www.omlet.us/shop/shop.php?cat=Eglu

Noticed the BeeHaus and Eglu when I was in the market for a chicken coop, I ended up getting a bigger, better coop for £110 including shipping, but I'd never been aware that bees were something the average person could keep before. My mother took one look at it and said that no way was that horrible plastic thing going near her garden.

I wonder if The Eden Project will move into bees next. The Eglu is fairly ugly, but their stuff is 10x worse.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There's somebody on ebay <10 miles away from me selling these beehives they apparently found in a barn. Bidding is still 99p and it's buyer-collect, but do you think it would be worth looking at for somebody who's never kept bees before and is on a bit of a budget?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

They don't, but I was thinking more for starting out next year anyway.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

TouchyMcFeely posted:

edit: Is it 99p for everything in both pictures?

Whoa, I just checked and it seems a lot of people are interested, price has gone up quite a bit. But yeah, that's for the lot. There's another picture and it looks like there's roughly 11 hives... Would have to hire a van if I did go for it...

I guess I (or somebody who outbids me) could also buy it, just keep one or two and clean and paint and sell the rest on.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

On that thought, does anyone know how deep a solitary bee-house really has to be (bee?)? Thinking about putting one together for the garden. Somebody bought me one of these for Christmas but it seems rather... Small? Lots of wasted potential!

Edit: Ok, I can't read :v: Website says about 15cm!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 22, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Curious to know how the terrible weather has affected you guys this year. We don't seem to have had a proper summer here in the UK at all yet...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

One more idea:
Invent a "bee water source" container thing. It would have landing surfaces for the bees that keeps them from falling in, would keep the water level at exactly the right place, would let you cycle fresh water in regularly/constantly (perhaps connecting to a hose which is always on?), would keep out larger animals, falling leaves, etc., and wouldn't grow mosquitoes.

A water-butt attached to your gutters, with a floating platform made from a bit of plastic/wood and some small pop bottles, and a couple of goldfish in? Depends how much rain you get but you can always just use the tap to top it up. You could put some wide netting/chicken wire over the top or just buy a net and scoop out the leaves when you see em.

We had goldfish in our water-butt, but I accidently killed them. (Totally my own fault.) Within a couple of weeks the water went from being green but fine, to absolutely full of mosquito larvae, so they do work at keeping those down! Just went out earlier and bought a new fish. :3:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 11, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

There are bees? hanging around outside my house, should I be worried? They can't live in that vent, birds already live there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io6h69mCOIY
Quality should improve in a minute. To a certain extent anyway, I was holding my phone out of a window.

Edit: Oh hey, looking at the pictures I guess they're bumblebees? :3: They can stay there then, the birds have all fledged out now anyway!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 24, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I read it but don't have much to contribute, my bumblebees never came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

What're you going to do about the face?