Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hi Beekeeping thread. We're looking at getting into this and I had a hive question. I want to go into this and not set myself up for failure later. I'm in Zone 4/5 and see some harsh winters.

Is it worth spending the extra money to get hives from somewhere like Mann or Dadant? Is the $125 Amazon special hive acceptable?

Are the starter kits a good deal, or am I buying a bunch of crap I don't need?

There's a local beekeeping club that has a meeting coming up that we're going to attend. One of the members sells "mutts" locally that are highly regarded for winter survivability around here so we plan on getting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

If you have access to decent tools and are handy with woodworking, you can build something like a long langstroth that is a heck of a lot thicker wood/insulation than a standard hive you see in those catalogs. A heck of a lot easier to work to boot. (no lifting boxes)

That looks really cool, I was just reading about the top bar hives. Similar set up with the long langstroth except you get the benefit of the langstroth frames? I've been planning to get a nucleus for my first bees, so I assume if I build it to Langstroth sizing that these will still drop in?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We assembled our first super today. Ordered a nuc through a local beekeeper of "mutts". Dude is a bit of legend and has been beekeeping for like 60 years or something. We are very excited to get the bees in place and start on this journey.