Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Building a Layens have this winter. Has anyone run one? I may build some of the frames that will accommodate deeps frames in case I go with a nuc transfer, and the rest of the frames as foundationless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

tuo posted:

All three are still very alive, have plenty of food, but strangely, team red drops a lot of dead bees. They were the strongest hive last year, but not by a huge margin in regard to team blue, who has nearly no dead bees within the hive or on their doorsteps.

Do you plan to shuffle brood frames between them during spring buildup?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Well I tossed up a hail Mary today.

Last fall my bees were wiped out by a robbing spree mixed with local wasps. I decided today to bust out the hive and reassemble it with some swarm lure dabbed inside it. Not planning on getting a nuc or package. My hope is that scouts find it and tell their swarming friends. I was weed-feed spot spraying daisies yesterday and accidentally sprayed one of the local ladies. Felt horrible.

S-Day +0: No scouts spotted yet. :)

Took the old comb off and scrapped the bars, leaving some residual wax. Plenty of propolis in the old boxes. I set the comb about 50 yards away from the hive and the wasps love me again.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Took a field trip up to 8000 elevation yesterday to place a swarm trap. Very little pollen going on this early, which I wanted to get in front of with this placement. For background, this place gets to -20F and many feet of snow. That said there were bees there in the warm months and my hope is to get some of the super-bees that survive in that harshness. Jammed a small piece of old comb in it with a couple drops of lemmongrass oil. The bars have remnants of old comb and plenty of propolis.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I'd bee in.

That said it may be a year down the road. Haven't caught a swarm yet (checking again today up on the mountain). But when/if I do they will be some metal eskimo bees.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

So up in the mountains where last year this time I was seeing tons of bees, this year I saw a total of 2. Plenty of clover flowers and such. Kind of has me worried. These were the ones I was hoping to catch a swarm of.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Never managed to get a swarm this year so I have been simply enjoying the bees in our area feasting on the lavender and catmint we put in.

The area where I was seeing bees up in the mountains last year where I wanted to catch a swarm, I have seen like a total of 2 bees on all my trips up this summer. :( Kind of worried about the situation up there.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

HOPEFULLY we will be remaining where we currently live. I have a Layens horizontal hive that I've been slowly working on over the summer. Kicking myself that I bought wood that wasn't kiln cured and now is all kinds of warped/spiraled. Wish I had a jointer.

Anyhoo I decided that bigger was better, so went with 30 frame length. Walls will be 1.5" finished thickness. (Gets to -20F here) and heavy as hell, but on the bright side I won't have to lift anything but the individual frames.
Going to borrow a couple mods from other hive styles:
- Angled top-bar foundationless frames with holes through the top bar to allow the bees more easy access to adjacent comb
- Up in the air with entrance locations.
- Removable bottom board (again, thick as hell) with a screen so I can do mite stuff

If and when I track down decent cured wood I will eventually be trying my hand at a cathedral hive.
Bees won't know what hit them in the spring.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Why feed them so much when it is the time of year they would typically reduce numbers? In theory if they stored away enough honey, you should not have to feed them, period, beyond perhaps late winter through early spring IF they actually need it.

In regard to the aggressive hive, I personally would requeen. If you’ve got some kind of africanized thing going on why wait?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 16, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

Well, they didn't store enough honey, because we took that.

Then don't do that? Again, feeding them at this point is well, pointless, as you are keeping their population up for no reason whatsoever when they should be downsizing for over wintering. Not only that if you are taking more than just the surplus honey, you are taking away their preferred food that would stave off diseases and such.

I get it, getting the honey from the bees is nice and all, but simply leave them enough to over winter. No wonder your hive is hostile. I'd be hostile too.

tuo posted:

Normally, we feed around 15kg per hive, and that's been working good. But we have a very strange summer this year...stuff that bees normally collect in august was available in June. It also was a super-dry year, so not much water for plants to produce nectar. Thus the advice to feed more. Of course it's a burdon on the typical winter bees, because they shouldn't be tasked with food collection, but we are not there yet. And also: it was advises to all beekeepers here to feed at least 24kg for the hive-size I have.

Again I have to question why you would even take the honey that they struggled to create in such a year.
Who are the powers that be that were giving the advice to beekeepers there?

tuo posted:

In regard to requeening: nah, they requeened themselves already this spring, and I am not a big fan of playing too much bee-god. My concern is not the aggressivnes (because, eh, we are keeping bees) but the fact that the hive is exploding of bees. They are building poo poo left and right, and to my experience, these hives have a harder time in the winter.

We'll see.

Trying to stave off africanization is not a concern in those parts?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 16, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No reason to paint it. Bees are more susceptible to moisture when cold than cold itself. As far as getting a bunch of bees to populate it, what is swarm catching like around your area?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Speaking of cold weather hives...

Made some progress on my build. 36-frame Layens Horizontal Hive with 1.5" thick walls. The walls and tops of the frames are complete. The frame tops are an EXACT fit. To do: balance of frame parts, decide and built whatever roof design and floor design I am going to go with. I SHOULD be done by spring. This sucker is heavy, but on the bright side once it is in it's permanent home, it is not moving. Like, ever. You can work the Layens like any other horizontal top-bar. I plan to use a couple timbers sunk into concrete for the base. It will laugh at the blizzard winds and -20F temps we can get. Bees will be so stinking snug.

The frames:
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/layens-hive-frame-plans.shtml

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 21, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

It is like a langstroth hive turned on it's side as far as depth-wise. A lot more volume, of course.
Uncertain if I will go with center dowels, or a .6" bar across the middle with 3/8" holes for bee pass-throughs.
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/foundationless-frame-layens.shtml
Pic from their website:

I may do a few Langstroth-to-Layens frames in case I get a nuc.
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/convert-langstroth-layens.shtml

But to answer your question, they are basic 4-sided frames, just foundationless.

Oh, And they also have plans for a bee-bed. For people that are into that kind of kink (not judging)
https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/bee-bed-sleep-hive-plans.shtml

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 21, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Tally posted:

Is there an extractor that takes those frames?

Nopers. It will be a cut and crush process. (or cut into squares and sell as such). Maybe down the line I will do a similar build sized for Langstroth frames.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Anyone have experience with saskatraz bees? Our local supplier will have them this year and I am considering getting 2 packages, 1 carnolian and one saskatraz. Part of me really wants to go as little treatment as possible to help in a small way to strengthen resistance to varroa. The saskatraz bees are reportedly bred to be more varroa resistant and it would defeat the point if you treated them. (and at least one site suggests not treating as that kind of defeats the whole point of the breeding program)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Cornuto posted:

My brother lives out in rural Ohio and has expressed an interest in starting beekeeping. I found an unopened hive kit on eBay for around $175, and pulled the trigger for a Christmas present. After purchase my parents sent me this bit of feedback from a friend they have that keeps bees:

Just wanting to know if I really wasted a bunch of money on this gift -- not the end of the world, but hoping it isn't as useless as this guy seems to think.

Hive I bought:
https://smile.amazon.com/SummerHawk...+ranch+bee+hive
https://beekeepclub.com/summerhawk-ranch-complete-backyard-beehive-kit-system-review/

The top part is gimmicky, but I personally am not fond of comb in my honey. The bottom looks pretty well designed beyond the bottom of the frames on the side where I'd imagine the bees would propolis together. It is odd that not one of the pictures shows the entrance. (The accessible windows are in the back of hives, unless you enjoy bees smacking you in the face and stinging the gently caress out of your throat)

Is it a standard landing board for a langstroth? If the same footprint as a Lang I suppose he could add more boxes on top (with actual frames, not jars) as they build up comb. The jar setup could be used for jar feeding to get the colony up and running.

My advice is if it is a standard langstroth size setup, for your brother to buy a langstroth box or two with frames (not terribly expensive and NOT the $94 add-on boxes from that manufacturer) to add onto the existing hive as need be.

edit: Just viewed the second link. Liquid smoke? Seriously?

quote:

Instead of using a smoker to repel the bees, you can use liquid smoke. Rub a bit of liquid smoke on your arms and face. You can rub it on every bit of exposed skin and it acts like a bee repellent.
:wtc:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 9, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

God drat, liquid smoke - suspected to be totally bad for humans - now used on bees. :ohdear:

get rid of that top box, or modifiy it so it can take frames. The idea with the bottles in there is awful on so many levels...

This but a beek, and liquid smoke rather than blood:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 9, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Welp orders opened and I placed mine for 2 packs of carnolians. Now to get the hives complete and placed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Really wondering the type of hive designs and what you folks did to prep them for winter.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

So moisture not an issue?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I need to kick on the heaters in the shop and get working on these frames and the rest of the hive... soon.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

quote:

But this year, a special problem might have taken down the honey bees more than usual.

They tossed this in there but did not actually say varroa was the cause of losing 50,000 hives. Part of me wonders if the fires out in CA effected the bee's foraging. I would find it highly unlikely that those hives were not closely monitored and treated for varroa.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

No commercial beekeeper should loose that much to varroa....that pest is understood good enough, imo, and there are enough indicators over the year in regard to how much treatment is needed.

What you are writing about foraging: do you relate this to pollen or to honey/overall food?

Overall. I know that all that crap was blowing over us in Utah for a good while last year and I imagine it was a bit worse closer to the fires. My line of thinking is that if smoke tends to cause bees to hunker down, they might get less foraging in.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

My question went more into the direction of: commercial beekeepers feed their hives inside the hive,

They do?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I cannot imagine many that sell the produced honey would be feeding artificially. (beyond cold weather periods)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Finally broke down and have a drill press en route for my frame middle bars. Trying to drill holes in a 1/2" bar at a 45 degree angle with a hand drill was an exercise in heavy drinking.

Prototype:
(Will likely have 3 holes in the middle bar to act as the "bee highway" that is used in cathedral hive design)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 18, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I still have over 2 weeks till I pick mine up. The mega-layens hive is nearly completed. Just have to finish the roof, entrance holes and decide if I want to paint or oil the exterior. Leaning toward tung oil if anything. The beast weighs a ton even before frames are put in and roof is on. Once comb, bees and honey are in it, the sucker will need a forklift to move. Will likely put a couple large bolts through the body/legs for better stability under the load. (The legs are 4x4 cedar post.)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 8, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

One sting is pretty good for that. I did something similar once....let me tell you it was way more than one sting.

One great part about the layens is the install. Basically you take out the can and set it on some of the bottom frame rungs so they can continue to feed from it, tack the queen cage onto a frame, then set the bee box into the hive and close it up. Easy peasy and could be done nekkid should the mood arise.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Bee package pickup has been pushed back 2 weeks due to california and it's weather. Maybe for the best, as it is currently snowing, my hive roof still needs completed, the beast still needs hauled to it's static location, and buds are not remotely breaking yet. Second week of May should be dandelion season in full force.

Maybe I can squeeze a shallow pond out on the property by then as well.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Still to be completed:
- Separator boards
- Entrances (trying to determine best round hole size and number)
- Level/concrete final destination

Bees arrive on the 11th. Good thing as we are still dipping below freezing over night.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

That thing looks pretty rad. I'd wanna a be a bee in there.

Have you considered something for them to land on? We started with boxes that didn't have a "Flugbrett", basically a thingy the bees can land on before they enter the hive. We added them, and it seems to be pretty good for both the bees guarding the entry and the bees coming ladden with either pollen or honey, so you don't have to hover about to find the entry, but can relax for a moment by simply landing, and then crawl into the hive. I know, nature also doesn't have those things, but it seems to make it much easier on the gals.

Also also: my first try at breeding queens failed spectacularly (well....it was only six larva....), because I hosed up the fake cells (dipped them in liquid wax from our hives, but always caught an air bubble (of course) and also was stupid enough to hang them in a hive with a queen [:frogout:]. Tried another round now, with properly formed fake cells (used a silicone template) and a propper queenless split, and howdyho, do they care about them.

I am forgoing landing pads. When my old hive was being robbed, it appeared to be making it easier for the invaders, like a welcome mat. The plan is to have by autumn, a set of entrance diversions, such that the invaders are attracted to the false/screened entrance while the bees who live there will be used to the true one.

Sad about your queens, but you miss 100% of the shots you do not take, and you seem to be learning from it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

El Mero Mero posted:

I picked these up to stop robbing and I kinda love them

Yup, same intent. What's nice is that you are not messing with airflow into the hive.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

99.999% ready for the bees to arrive on saturday. Evening storms have been rolling in the past few days, and while the wind is freaking me out in regard to the Warre hive stack, the Layens megahive is shrugging it off like a rock. Buds are beginning to break in a big way here and the bees cannot get here soon enough.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Girls are installed. The layens hive was easy peasy. No need to jostle and dump the bees out. Plenty of room to just set the box inside and the queen cage on a few of the frames. Closed it up and they made their own way out on their own.

The warre I was going to wait till evening, but decided to dump them in mid day. Queen sat on top bars, bees dumped, feeder box set on top and the box sat just outside the entrance with the stragglers.

All in shorts and a tee shirt. God I love carniolans.

El Mero Mero posted:

Swarm season's going quite well in tennessee...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgILjWHUYqs

Holy Toledo!

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 12, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

tuo posted:

Check the eyes. If they basicall run into each other/there is no seperation between them, it's a drone.

also: drones don't rob, only workers rob. chances are it's a drone that waits for good weather to go out or one that just came back.

e: if it doesn't have a pelt and red stripes on the head, it's a hornet waiting for it's meal

Well technically all drones do is rob, and mate with queens. Lazy bastards.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Checked on the queens yesterday and thankfully their cages were empty. Another successful hive dive without smoke or bee suit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

First inspection went well. Sans smoke and bee suit. Just gloves (in hindsight didn't even need those). The Layens hive is building comb like mad and I put empty frames between each one with existing comb. The Warre is a bit sluggish. I think this offseason I will build another Layens. and do away with the Warre entirely.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I cannot believe just how wet it’s been this spring, and temps just barely inching above 50.

At the end of a brief period of sun yesterday I sat and watched the girls all trying to get back into the hives at once, before yet another wind/rain/cold front swept through. They cannot seem to catch a break, but they are trying their damndest to make the most of the few windows that appear. It sucks to see so much in bloom while they are getting grounded by showers and low temps.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

https://imgur.com/nSsvEEF
Bees seem to be digging plain old 1" entrance holes in the Layens.

Is anyone else using Terro bait traps for ants? I have a couple down near the legs but they do not seem to be lessening all that much. Wrapped some aluminum tape around the legs and am going to use some paste wax to "polish" it, to see if it will make it tougher for the ants to climb across.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Rexxed posted:

I don't do any beekeeping (but I think it's interesting so I lurk in the thread) but I've seen folks with pet ant colonies do this to make impassable barriers:
https://www.antscanada.com/ant-care/

I've got ants using my mailbox as part of their nest and the terro liquid ant bait hasn't managed to eliminate them yet despite being in there for a few days. I have seen other ants go in there looking for it though, so I don't know if it's just a particular type of ant it works on or what. I'm tired of having to brush off my mail so I may end up spraying the inside of the mailbox at this point.

The way I understand the Terro, is that the ants are given enough time to get back and feed the queen and such before dying. The queen then dies in theory, so no new ants are raised. Would take some time for all that to happen, but I have been baiting since I put the hives in. Maybe I will try the Vaseline on the aluminum tape.