Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Why does everyone paint the hives white? If you used decent wood, would it be acceptable to stain them instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
I don't know if there is anyone else from Western Washington interested in bee keeping. The Washington State University is offering an Apprentice Beekeeper course at the Snohomish County extension this winter.

Details are here- http://snohomish.wsu.edu/calendar.htm

I'm planning on attending and hope to learn a bunch more about the awesomeness that is bee keeping!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Maximusi posted:

I saw that on the news too. I hope they catch the rear end in a top hat.

That's loving depressing :(

What could they charge the perpetrator(s) with? Animal cruelty or just the loss of property?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Anyone attending the Washington State Beekeeper's Association Apprentice Beekeeping class at the Snohomish Washington State University extension this November? There are ~40 people in the class, I was hoping someone else was a goon.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

How do yall handle treating for mites in the winter?

Any opinions on Apiguard? We're trying to keep things as organic as possible, but this seems pretty harmless.

Powdered sugar, should work quite well. The bees will clean themselves more and the mites will drop, hopefully to a screened bottom board.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
I know it's a bit early to prep for this year. But I bought a house in Sept last year and finally have space to keep bees! I just acquired and constructed the first of hopefully two hives. Anyone else prepping for first time keeping this year?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

ShotgunWillie posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJ4em8vsKE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I think my bees may have survived the winter. What do you think, guys?

Also, testing out my new camera.

Awesome, you don't have any problems with the black paint? (also please tell me it's painted like the ships in WWI were) I always heard bees didn't like black paint for hives

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Dick Trauma posted:

I was reading a Smithsonian article about how bees find new hive locations and it said that returning scouts beep when they're sharing info about where they've been, and they headbutt other scouts who found lower quality sites.

They beep! :3:

Back to your SHSC pod!

Bees are amazing macro organisms and I can't wait my first hive arrives on April 18th! :3:

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Awesome, but you don't want to keep your queen caged for a week or two! Replace the stopper with a mini marshmallow and let the workers eat their way to her it should take a couple of days quite enough time for the hive to get used to her pheromones

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
So I packaged my first hive ever on Wednesday and just check on them last night. I'm worried I failed at this :(

I shook them out and they went into the hive as planned. I performed a direct release of the queen, as my supplier said they had been together long enough, she came out of the cage dropped in between the frames and promptly flew off! I discovered yesterday night that the hive was empty but there was a nice ball of bees inside the wooden package box huddled together. So even though it was pretty cold (like 45F and raining all yesterday) i rehived them and they went strait down into the hive.

Is it possible they will survive? There were a considerable number of dead bees due to the rain and cool weather. I couldn't find the queen but assume since they were bundled together they might have her? I'm kind of scared this is all sorts of hosed up :(

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Nebulis01 posted:

I'm kind of scared this is all sorts of hosed up :(

Success, first inspection and day above 60F here. 2.5 drawn out frames and one queen with lots of bees :D I'm a happy camper.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Pagan posted:

My bees are making good progress, they've filled 6 of the starting frames, and have made progress on two others. When, as a rule of thumb, should I add the second box of frames?

Also, when I take the top of the hive off, all the bees come up to the top and get in the way of me putting it back on. They're buzzing around the edges and all, so I can't put the top on without squishing them. I used the brush to brush them off, but that just seemed to make them angry, and they still hung out on the top edge of the box. I slid the top back carefully, but I'm sure I squished a few nonetheless. Is that just part of the price I pay every time I open the hive?

I was told no longer than 30 days after hiving to add a second deep, shorter if they are doing very well. As to them all coming up are you smoking them when you return the lid? I find this helps hunch back down into the hive so I don't have to squish so many of them.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

nesbit37 posted:

$30-$40 a pound in NYC? That is like half gallon prices here in Philly.

Wholesale 4-5/lb, retaill 8-9/lb in WA. What would make you pay 40 for a pound of honey?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Yeti Fiasco posted:

FINALLY warm enough to have a peek inside, found exactly what I was expecting based on their behaviour, a few eggs, a bit of brood and 0 stores. (well, a quarter frame of honey but no pollen.) They've been on fondant all winter and are still wolfing it down, I'm going to switch over to 2:1 syrup in a few days when the temperature starts sitting at a stable 10*c, going to pick up some pollen patties too, this freezing march/april we've had has pretty much killed the early pollen harvest.

Congrats on overwintering! I lost all my girls (we even had a very mild winter). I think the mouse guard might have hindered them from pulling bodies out of the hive successfully, it was very crowded :\

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
I had a hive that didn't overwinter, could someone more experienced than myself tell me if the mold/rot is normal? I noticed the honey they managed to keep was very runny and not dried properly

http://imgur.com/a/ovqb7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
3:1 vinegar:water is what i use, works quite well.