Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zquargon
May 14, 2004
I'm trying to think of something that won't earn me scorn.

Becktastic posted:

That's awesome! I am concerned about my notably bitchy neighbors. They called the cops on our "party" (re: about 10 people playing Rock Band at 8pm)

It gets really hot in Tucson (100+ F) does the hive need a shaded place or will it be okay just painted white?

Where do we go to register? I found out there's a bee research center near my home :3 So I think I will go down and talk to them about beekeeping. I think I might like to volunteer for a local beekeeper first before I dive right in to this...though I am really excited at the thought of having bees of my own. :)

edit: Bee Research Center: http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=53420300

Keep us posted how this works out for you. I am also in Tucson and am considering starting my own hive next year when I have a backyard... stupid apartments...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zquargon
May 14, 2004
I'm trying to think of something that won't earn me scorn.

Crazy Armed Pilot posted:

Its easy to find a place for hives. I am not going to keep mine at my house (rental, and will be moving half way through the summer to another rental). Ask around, someone with a garden would love to have your bees in their yard. I was complaining about not being able to keep bees at my place and I had two of the chemistry professors on my floor competing against one another to get to have the bees on their property.

I would do that, except I recently picked up blacksmithing and all my tools for that are being kept in someone else's yard. It's not a big deal, except it bugs me every time I have to go somewhere else to play with my things. I imagine I would get just as irritated going somewhere else to check on my hives.