Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm setting up my first hive and I understand that southeast facing is better for sun in North America, but is it okay to put the hive under or near trees? The trees are all deciduous so it will get exposure in the winter but I'm worried about spring/fall being too shady. I'm in Oregon if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

If it gets quite hot where you are, under trees/in shade is actually preferred over being in the full sun in summer.

When I drive up through central california in the summer I can see the orchards with their working beehives and they're often under the trees somewhere.

Make sure there's no branches like right in front of the hive though. The bees want to launch off the entrance and be able to fly more or less at a straight angle up to a particular cruising height, make a turn, and then go in a straight path to wherever the other bees said to go and smell for whatever nectar/pollen smell they had on them. The bee dance is basically giving them that, go x direction up to y height, turn z, then go in a straight line. So if they have to navigate through a bunch of branches on their way up that might be too confusing.

This is the area I'm thinking - in the rooty area between the two trees. There is a road to the south and some water nearby. Maybe slightly in front of the big tree to prevent some wind?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

That seems totally fine to me.

e. also you can move a hive pretty easily if you need to. The bees navigate by smell and if it's within a dozen feet or so they'll have no problem finding it. Close it up at night and do it then, while all the bees are home, and you can move a hive miles - agriculture bees get moved like that multiple times a season.

Ah okay - I knew that about ag bees but I've also read that sometimes even moving them a few feet can confuse them?

Getting my hive next week and building a stand out of some scrap 4x4s I have. Excited to finally be doing this!