Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disciplinary action
Sep 8, 2005

Ishamael posted:

I just found out there was a beekeeping seminar last weekend here in town, and I missed it! :(

This happens to me every third Thursday of the month. If anyone is in the Orlando area, the orange blossom beekeepers association meets every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disciplinary action
Sep 8, 2005

Socratic Moron posted:

In addition, the cost of shipping equipment here is utterly outrageous, so if I can make my hives, all the better.

Cost of shipping aside, it's illegal(and a terrible idea) to import bees or equipment to any island due to varroa mites. It's also illegal to trap wild swarms within 5 miles of Hilo bay for the same reason.

Also, the Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture is laying off their honeybee inspectors, leaving the entire island to fend for themselves against varroa infestation. In the next year or so, these guys should be releasing their varroa traps, which are basically flypaper for varroa mites.

http://www.ars-fla.com/

disciplinary action fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 30, 2009

disciplinary action
Sep 8, 2005

Socratic Moron posted:

Thank you guys for your advice, I appreciate it!

I'm aware that it's illegal to import bees, but importing new equipment (I wouldn't buy used) is legal.

As for the 5 miles around Hilo, that may be, but the mites have already made their way to Kapoho :( Island-wide infestation is only a matter of time at this point :(

Are you on the BI?

I'm planning on coming out there. Just been doing homework.

EDIT: Correction, apparently the importing equipment rule is about used equipment.

disciplinary action fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 30, 2009