Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

This might be a stupid question, but how do you plan on getting the honey out? I'm guessing most people don't have access to one of those giant industrial spinners. How do homegrown people get the honey out efficiently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Isn't this the time of year that they start getting more aggressive?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

It's probably not a good idea to start feeding them now. I'm pretty sure if you do, you'll have to keep feeding them all winter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

stuff

I hate to rain on your bee parade, but unless you've already ordered your bees it's probably going to be too late to start this year. You've got to get things ordered months before you actually want them.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Every book I've ever read recommend not wearing gloves at all.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

You probably ought to stop feeding them. It looks like you've got enough bees that they should be out collecting. If they're storing the sugar, you need to stop for sure.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Some flowers just started blooming near me, so the bees are all out today. I saw a whole bunch of some weird kind I've never seen before though. They were all black except for a yellow stripe near their head, and one near their butt. Anyone know what they are? lovely cameraphone pic below.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 3, 2011

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

The image is refusing to load for me.

e. which is not surprising since you're trying to link to an image in your gmail account. Try hosting it on tinypic or waffleimages or something.

Oops, should be fixed now.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's a bumblebee, I think. Hard to see in such a small picture, but fat, very fuzzy, big. Right?

There's a bunch of species of bumblebee. They're ground-dwelling bees and they generally don't sting at all. They always make me smile.

Do they produce honey as well? Seems like people would want non-stinging bees.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'll be starting this spring too!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Speaking of varroa:

Do you guys have any opinions on what the best oxalic acid vaporizers are?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot imagine many that sell the produced honey would be feeding artificially. (beyond cold weather periods)

You would take the honey they produce early, and then feed them while they collect for winter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I got my girls last night! Caught one sting in the ankle, but that's what I get for wearing shorts I guess.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

One great part about the layens is the install. Basically you take out the can and set it on some of the bottom frame rungs so they can continue to feed from it, tack the queen cage onto a frame, then set the bee box into the hive and close it up. Easy peasy and could be done nekkid should the mood arise.

Pretty much what I did, except I forgot to pull the cork out from in front of the candy plug :lol:

I'll go out in a couple days and pull the plug and cram a marshmallow in there

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

lmao had bees for all of 3 days before the city called me and said the neighbors complained. I'm following code so they can kick rocks.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

That's the funny part, I did tell them. They were cool about it. They're selling their house soon so I think they were just checking regs on how close to the property line the hive can be, but I'm still going to go talk to them again.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ugh, my package hasn't done poo poo in two weeks. They haven't built out a single frame. They'd be totally hosed if I hadn't put an old frame in there.

I checked them today and didn't see any capped over brood or the queen. Saw some eggs, though I saw some cells with multiple eggs so I've either got a lazy af queen or laying workers :argh:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm gonna put in a new frame full of brood/eggs and see if they raise a new queen. Otherwise I'll just get a new package since these bitches be lazy

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Just sugar syrup. They haven't really been touching it though.

I'm pretty sure the queen that came with my package is dead. I found a dead bee at the entrance that was larger than most a few weeks ago (def not a drone). I put it aside and forgot about it until today and I'm pretty sure it was the queen. They must have rejected her for some reason.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

Just sugar syrup. They haven't really been touching it though.

I'm pretty sure the queen that came with my package is dead. I found a dead bee at the entrance that was larger than most a few weeks ago (def not a drone). I put it aside and forgot about it until today and I'm pretty sure it was the queen. They must have rejected her for some reason.

Supposed to be picking up a nuc today to combine with my queenless package. Hope they don't kill her again...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I just took out 5 frames that my lazy rear end original bees didn't do anything with and replaced them with 5 baller rear end frames from the new bees. These guys had honey stored already.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

so the hand is pretty much the worst place to get stung other than the face. I caught one on my knuckle last night and now my hand is swelled up like a grapefruit

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

lmao had bees for all of 3 days before the city called me and said the neighbors complained. I'm following code so they can kick rocks.

neighbor is still being a big old prick. I hope my bees fly over and sting him

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

tuo posted:

Hmm....cell in the middle of the frame doesn't sound like swarming, imo

I might be remembering wrong, but I thought it was an emergency swarm cell if it was in the middle of the frame? Like they turned brood that wasn't originally intended to be a queen into a queen. Supercedure cells are the peanut ones at the edges of the frame I thought.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

stuck my honey super on yesterday. maybe I'll get something? :shrug:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

stuck my honey super on yesterday. maybe I'll get something? :shrug:

welp, I'm not getting any honey this year. I pulled off the super to fog them for mites last night and they haven't built out a single frame in there yet. I guess I'll leave it on for a while and see if they do anything...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

this is my first year, but yeah it seems slow. it was all I could do just to get them to build out the frames in both boxes.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Here in KS we had probably the rainiest spring/summer that I can remember in my life.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

is winter feeding a thing? I hadn't planned on doing anything.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

tuo posted:

Only if you harvested honey during the year. If you didn't, it shouldn't be a thing if the hive's strong enough and theres enough food to gather.

(I'm talking about ca. 50 deg lat here)

e: oooh, I just realized I might have made myself completely unclear due to my lovely english. Of course I don't mean feeding during the winter, but feeding FOR the winter. So basically late july to middle of september.

oooooh I gotcha. I just took my honey super off this week, these little turds didn't build out a single frame in there so no honey this year. I checked in the deeps and they fukken packed those frames though, so they should be good for the winter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm just waiting for spring to see if my hive made it through the winter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm just waiting for spring to see if my hive made it through the winter.

They're alive! It was randomly like 70 today, (wtf) they came out and went all over.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Is there a good reference for spring management? This will be my first one and I need to figure out what I'm doing. I know I need to think about swarm management, but is that something I even need to worry about the second year? I didn't take any honey the first year because they hadn't filled out both deeps or even started on the super. Does that mean they might not swarm this year since they still have space to use?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

That all makes sense.

If I'm not planning on keeping a second hive this year, should I just let it do it's thing and swarm at will? I just don't think a whole second set of boxes is in the budget this year.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

My hive didn't survive after all. Looks like they ran out of food and the queen took everyone and left.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

tuo posted:

Bees sticking out with their rear end from the cells? Or only dead bees on the bottom?

There were very few bees left in the hive, but the ones there were rear end up in the cells.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Guess who's getting honey this year. This guy!

My super is like 90% full, just waiting on the last bits to fill up.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I finally pulled my super yesterday, got about 8.5 frames full probably.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

As long as you're not in their path for entering/exiting, you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Pretty sure mine are dead, haven't seen any action at all on the warmer days.