Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

drat you guys and your living in places with big venues and acts! Great shots though guys, very inspiring stuff.

Speaking of this though, have any of you guys shot warped tour before? I'm currently going through the process of getting my photo pass and was wondering if anyone had experience with it/tips about it.

Ugh, I hate it. I've been on tour with Warped Tour. Brings lots of memory, water and a telephoto for bands on the main stage and frustration fighting with 30 other "photographers" in the pit. Try to shoot from stage if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rockcity posted:

Second, get ready for typically bland lighting. Outdoor shows are fun because it's a crapload easier to get a decent exposure, however, it's also a crapload easier to come away with REALLY generic photos. Take you time and look for good angles and good poses, this is easily the best tip I can give you.

This is where wide-angle lenses come into play. You can get some really dramatic photos with wide-angles if you can get right up close to the stage what with the skewed perspective and all that come with using lenses like that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

This is where wide-angle lenses come into play. You can get some really dramatic photos with wide-angles if you can get right up close to the stage what with the skewed perspective and all that come with using lenses like that.

Yep, I pretty much ride my fixed 20mm lens at outdoor shows. I throw on the 50 to get close up singer shots too.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Making fifteen year old girls looks like whores since 2006
Had another band in today. I am working on trying to get hooked into a local venue to get some bigger names. We'll see what happens.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Love your choice of settings. Some of the photos are overprocessed, but I know that's the client's preference, not yours.

I could swear I saw the inside of that clock tower in someone's PAD photo.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I think the contrast is way too high in some of these photos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I agree from a photographers standpoint that some of the processing is too much, but I would put money on the band loving it.

The clocktower one however, is perfect in every way. By far my favorite photo of yours.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

HPL posted:

Love your choice of settings. Some of the photos are overprocessed, but I know that's the client's preference, not yours.

I use the tower every so often, I'm sure I've poster tower pics there before.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Zoowick posted:

I use the tower every so often, I'm sure I've poster tower pics there before.

If I could find one nit to pick, I guess it would be that the backgrounds are too busy on some of the photos and the band almost gets lost or the viewer gets distracted by them. Make no mistake though, they're kickass photos that just about any band would love to have.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

He posts shots of that thing pretty often. You have to admit, it's a pretty rad location.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
Nice shots, not really digging the HDR though.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

He posts shots of that thing pretty often. You have to admit, it's a pretty rad location.

I put together a video of the studio, building and some video of inside the clock tower.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1374420144#/video/video.php?v=1051564089261&ref=mf

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Zoowick posted:

I put together a video of the studio, building and some video of inside the clock tower.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1374420144#/video/video.php?v=1051564089261&ref=mf

See, now that's an unfair advantage.

Question though - would you charge the fees you do if you didn't have access to a studio?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hey zoo, just a quick tip that would help a lot of those photos. When you process like that blue jeans really standout in the photo, so I usually drop the blue saturation a bit to get the jeans looking back to normal-ish. Give it a try on the crazier ones, I'm sure you'll like the difference.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

See, now that's an unfair advantage.

Question though - would you charge the fees you do if you didn't have access to a studio?

I do mostly location work except in the winter so I probably would. I know there are strictly location photographers that charge premium prices. If you're good (or at least your clients think you are) and know how to market yourself you can charge whatever you want.

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey zoo, just a quick tip that would help a lot of those photos. When you process like that blue jeans really standout in the photo, so I usually drop the blue saturation a bit to get the jeans looking back to normal-ish. Give it a try on the crazier ones, I'm sure you'll like the difference.

After I read that it's all I see now, thanks for ruining my pictures for me. Thanks for the tip :)

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Shot my favorite band/client again tonight. Possibly going on tour with them in the near future, psyhced. Click through any of them for the rest of the set.

These were shot with xti/kit and vivitar 285hv with opteka inflatable softbox attached.

So I saw these in PAD and loved the lighting and look. Were you using the softbox attachment on these? I've had one for awhile that I use at home for lighting stuff, but never taken it to a venue. Since I got my flash sync cable I've just been using my flash frame for my shots as it helps getting rid of horrendous shadows for the most part, but your Ravens set seems to have very nice light. Kit lens and flash/softbox right pointed right at them?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Zoowick posted:

I would have loved to see a symmetric, normal-angled shot of this. This hall has awesome lines that are wasted with the angle, but I think would have looked awesome with a centered & symmetric composition.

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring
Shooting bands is all about making friends with bands and having them spread your name. If you take awesome shots of a band they will refer every other band they play with where they got their photos. Myspace is an amazing place for a band photographer to make some cash. Just make everyone that uses your promos throw you in their top 8 and just wait.

Click for big:

Set Up

I used to over post-process my shots but have since toned down into a generally 'normal' looking style.

Live used to be my thing but I havn't been shooting that nearly as much as I used to.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

dakana posted:

I would have loved to see a symmetric, normal-angled shot of this. This hall has awesome lines that are wasted with the angle, but I think would have looked awesome with a centered & symmetric composition.

I like it as-is, thought I'd say.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How do you people with obviously more talent than me get your loving cameras to focus where you want? They only way I've hit focus with any kind of reliability is by using single point continuous and then framing whichever point stuck to people's face, but it's awkward, and it leads to more crops than I'd like. I can't use single shot (the mode people use to focus then recompose) since artists tend to gesticulate and move about to the patrons' delight.

Would an IR illuminator help with the focus at all?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

shudder posted:

Kit lens and flash/softbox right pointed right at them?

basically, though towards the end of the set a lot of them were bounced off the really low ceiling, like the first two of that post.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rockcity posted:

Where in the FL area are you? I just moved to Orlando this past summer and metal is mostly what I shoot too. I've only shot in Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando and Jacksonville so far.

Sorry, took a break from CC for a couple weeks.

I live in Orlando and shoot pretty much every underground death/black/thrash show that lets me in with a camera. Right now I'm doing it out of my love for the music and photography though I'm starting to do some promo work with some of the smaller local bands. I'd like to expand out and shoot larger shows, I just haven't figured out what angles I need to work to get press passes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Promos with a pop punk band yesterday

Zoowick
Apr 9, 2007

Knux posted:

Shooting bands is all about making friends with bands and having them spread your name. If you take awesome shots of a band they will refer every other band they play with where they got their photos. Myspace is an amazing place for a band photographer to make some cash. Just make everyone that uses your promos throw you in their top 8 and just wait.

Click for big:

Set Up

I used to over post-process my shots but have since toned down into a generally 'normal' looking style.

Live used to be my thing but I havn't been shooting that nearly as much as I used to.

Beautiful lighting. I love these and I love the fact the you write up your lighting set-ups. It's people like you that make other photographers better. Thanks :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

Sorry, took a break from CC for a couple weeks.

I live in Orlando and shoot pretty much every underground death/black/thrash show that lets me in with a camera. Right now I'm doing it out of my love for the music and photography though I'm starting to do some promo work with some of the smaller local bands. I'd like to expand out and shoot larger shows, I just haven't figured out what angles I need to work to get press passes.

Ahhh nice. I've been really slow to shoot shows since I moved, but I'm picking the pace back up again. I just show the Music as a Weapon tour the other night at Amway. Some decent lighting. I'll post a few of the better pics when I get home. I'm still so bogged down with editing I've yet to do. drat moving.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I find I'm getting better lighting at the small clubs than I am at the larger venues these days. What's up with all the backlighting and flashy lights these days?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The flashiness doesn't matter since I'm stuck in manual anyway, the backlighting isn't so bad except you don't get anything but atmospheric pictures with the color hitting the smoke, or Jesus shots with white back spotlights.

HPL posted:

Flashiness is a pain in the rear end because it screws up autofocus when it goes dark.
Meh, AF is so hit or miss anyway :(

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 13, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Flashiness is a pain in the rear end because it screws up autofocus when it goes dark.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Red floodlights are the enemy of all that is holy 8(

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A few quick edits from Music as a Weapon here in Orlando

Lacuna Coil

Disturbed

Killswitch Engage

Chimaira

And one more Chimaira because that hair is looking extra metal

Yes, I am aware it still says 2008...I'm just too lazy to fix it tonight, haha.

SaintofKillers
Jul 22, 2003
The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft
Red lights are indeed the devil. The local venue had two kinds of lights...red lights, or no lights. The Presets, Common Grounds, Gainesville, FL on a Sunday night.

Also, is there any pointers for shooting in this kind of red light?

SaintofKillers fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 16, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

How do you people with obviously more talent than me get your loving cameras to focus where you want? They only way I've hit focus with any kind of reliability is by using single point continuous and then framing whichever point stuck to people's face, but it's awkward, and it leads to more crops than I'd like. I can't use single shot (the mode people use to focus then recompose) since artists tend to gesticulate and move about to the patrons' delight.

Would an IR illuminator help with the focus at all?

Hmmm. Overlooked this question.

I usually do what you're doing and pick points.

Are you using a full-frame or crop camera? Picking points is actually better on crop cameras because the sensor grid covers more of the frame whereas on full-frame they're concentrated around the middle in a smaller bunch.

And an IR illuminator wouldn't really help you. It would help you if you're shooting in conditions dark enough that the camera won't autofocus at all, but if the problem is focusing on the wrong point, no, it won't help.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nah I use a crop (D90), but the problem is that if I use AF-S it takes ages to lock (and it won't release the shutter without an AF lock) and the perfomers are usually not in focus anymore half a second after you get a lock anyway, and in AF-C it'll happily release without a decent enough focus.

AF point selection is never the problem, I just specify which to use (single point AF), it just doesn't lock worth a drat, hence the illuminator question. I realise now I worded the original question poorly.

If IF light is good to get a lock with phase AF I'll have a pal of mine who's handy with a soldering iron rig me something I can screw under the camera or stick in my hot-shoe. There's no way I'm paying for a SU-800 just for the AF-assist, especially if it engages in the same manner as the integrated illuminator (only in AF-S, how loving retarded is that).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 16, 2009

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Wait, the D90's AF assist light doesn't work with non-S lenses? :wtc:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pwn posted:

Wait, the D90's AF assist light doesn't work with non-S lenses? :wtc:
You misunderstood I think. It only comes on (for me) in single-shot AF. Nothing to do witht the lens that I know of.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

evil_bunnY posted:

You misunderstood I think. It only comes on (for me) in single-shot AF. Nothing to do witht the lens that I know of.
Oh right, gotcha. I got my nomenclature confused.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I set my focus to a separate button on all my cameras. So what I do is I center the frame to what I want in focus (typically the musician's face) press down the focus button, release so that it stays focused where I want it and then move the camera to the frame in which I want the subject. Works just fine for me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rockcity posted:

I set my focus to a separate button on all my cameras. So what I do is I center the frame to what I want in focus (typically the musician's face) press down the focus button, release so that it stays focused where I want it and then move the camera to the frame in which I want the subject. Works just fine for me.
That doesn't work when people move around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

That doesn't work when people move around.

Just takes practice, you can get fast enough with it. I've shot that way ever since I started using an SLR about 8 years ago and I've shot shows using that way for 6 years now. I do this shooting everything including sports which move WAY faster than any musician ever will.