Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I've been doing some concert photography and I think I'm getting pretty good at it. I don't use a flash and the only lens I've used is a 50mm 1.8. I'd love a zoom lens to give me a bit more flexibility in framing when I have no room to move but the 2.8 minimum aperture on the Sigma and Tamron lenses that cover the 20-70mm range would only be useful for well lit venues. I'll probably end up sticking with primes and buy two more for wide shots and balcony shooting. I'm on a crop sensor body. Can anyone recommend some lenses for me?

Some photos also because those are fun.

I know the photos aren't as sharp and clear as some of the flash assisted photos I've seen but the bands seem to really like them. I do most of my shots candidly and tell the band about it afterwords. It creates a completely different kind of atmosphere and even experienced performers can get camera shy if they know they're being shot.

Edit: this post might be against the nature of the thread because I've never charged and have no future plans to start. Also also, I just realized I posted four pictures of the two same people. gently caress it's late.

gotly fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I honestly recommend sticking to prime lenses for concert photography, especially in dark clubs. I shoot almost exclusively with a sigma 20mm f1.8 and my canon 50mm 1.8 lens. I have a sigma 24-60mm f2.8 that I like, but it's just not as sharp as prime lenses at low apertures. It's great outdoors though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I really like my Sig 30mm f/1.4 :3: The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is a cheaper alternative, but you seem to be on Canon, who makes a 24mm and a 35mm f/1.4 primes (expensive L glass), and cheaper 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, but I have no idea of the optical quality. Those will result in a "standard" length on a crop body or a bit shorter.

Sig also makes a 20mm fast prime but it's poo poo :(

For the long end, the 85mm f/1.8 USM doesn't seem too expensive, and it's pretty good. I'd definitely get the short lens first though.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 15, 2009

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I really like my Sig 30mm f/1.4 :3: The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is a cheaper alternative, but you seem to be on Canon, who makes a 24mm and a 35mm f/1.4 primes (expensive L glass), and cheaper 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, but I have no idea of the optical quality. Those will result in a "standard" length on a crop body or a bit shorter.

Sig also makes a 20mm fast prime but it's poo poo :(

For the long end, the 85mm f/1.8 USM doesn't seem too expensive, and it's pretty good. I'd definitely get the short lens first though.

What? I love my sigma 20mm. I use that thing all the time. Might be too wide for most people's normal uses though.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
Some friends were in a battle of the bands type of event called the classic rockathon, they ended up winning. Their band is called Universal Soul. Was my first try at concert photography other than some open mic nights, I had a lot of fun.

snowman fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 16, 2009

Scream Machine
Nov 14, 2005

by Fistgrrl
My first "big" show. Big as in people show up to it on finals week.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
Another prime lens to consider:

Canon 35 1.4 L

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
What shutter speed are most of you using for these pics, I'm hoping to get my 50mm 1.4 soon and it would be interesting to know what you consider the best range of speeds to be.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the band. Some coked-up rockers will need ~150 or flash, quieter stuff you can go down to ~50, bit lower at wide angles.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If motion is minimal you can get away with 1/60th or even slower at times, if there is any real motion that usually jumps up to 1/160th. Even higher if there is jumping involved.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I finally got a D90 and because of this thread you all made me think that I could actually get paid for something I love. I put up a couple of pictures in PAD but they may be sick of seeing concert shots. Don't want to double post so the set is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/aiiaznsk8er/sets/72157618288200431/ . I knew the 50mm 1.8 would be awesome, but it took some time to get used to the new crop factor coming from 35mm. I occasionally used flash but turned down the power so I could bump exposure of the subject just a bit. I still feel a little self conscious getting up in front of the stage to get good angles.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My most recent concert shoot: battle of the bands in Franklin, MA. The lighting was poo poo, so it was flash + slow shutter speed. I got some decent shots, not a whole ton though. One of my favorite shots of the night is below. What was annoying was they turned the overhead lights off but kept the lights behind the bands on so they were heavily backlit which was hell for me.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Zoowick posted:

I envy the fact that you get to do this for a living, and I know you've got talent, but goddamn have I come to hate your finished work. No offense. :)

Scream Machine
Nov 14, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Shooting with a 50 1.7 is obviously ideal for concert situations, just be aware that if you're body has a crop sensor you will have to factor that in. Mine has a x1.25 crop on full frame lenses, so that pumps it up to 75mm, which works fine in a venue where you can move about, just as much as a 50mm. However, at a larger venue, one where you may have to secure a photo pass to even get a DSLR past the front door, you can feel 75mm getting rather narrow, as your ability to move your physical self can become extremely limited by the time the headliner hits the stage. If you have a crop body you can always look at full frame primes in the 20-30 range but you lose some aperture coverage as well.

TheScribe
Jan 2, 2006
Anyone considering Prime lenses - these were all taken with my £90 ($170) prime canon 50mm 1.8mm lens and a canon eos 350D (rebel xt)

TheScribe fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 19, 2009

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I've done quite a bit of this for friend's bands and it's been a ton of fun. I've used exclusively Sony cameras and have had good luck with them. I recently upgraded from a fixed-lens F-828 into an Alpha-350 and it's my first DSLR. I've still got the OEM 18-70 lens and will probably go fixed at some point since the MP count is high enough to allow some pretty radical cropping before things get ugly.
The 828 was awesome for concert work. Being able to rotate the body independently of the lens allowed me to shoot over my head and over the heads of the crowd. The tilting LCD+Live view thingy does the same thing now.

Things I've learned:
Don't let a band boss you around. I've done some work for a good friend of mine and he and his wife always demand to get raw unprocessed shots from me immediately. I finally had to put my foot down. MY shots follow MY workflow, and that involves shot selection and spending time in post. If you work for free, there is no goddamn reason to be rushed. I'm contemplating switching to RAW, which will negate the problem entirely, especially since massive CF cards are so drat cheap.
Be polite with security, even if you have a backstage pass. Don't get lovely if you are challenged. You are on their turf.
Carry a calling/business card.
Carry spare batteries, since concert photography is 9/10ths luck which will require you to:
Take a ton of shots. In any live photography environment, composition is a luxury you don't always have. Given the often inconsistent lighting conditions you're not going to catch anything good even 5% of the time unless you're blasting the stage with a flash, and even then you may end up with something lovely.

Over the course of most full-length shows I've blasted off 700+ shots and maybe walked away with a dozen good ones at most.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

I've done quite a bit of this for friend's bands and it's been a ton of fun. I've used exclusively Sony cameras and have had good luck with them.
Now that's just silliness.

Kynetx posted:

I recently upgraded from a fixed-lens F-828 into an Alpha-350 and it's my first DSLR.
:woop:

Kynetx posted:

will probably go fixed at some point since the MP count is high enough to allow some pretty radical cropping before things get ugly.
Past a certain point, that is also silliness.

Kynetx posted:

The 828 was awesome for concert work. Being able to rotate the body independently of the lens allowed me to shoot over my head and over the heads of the crowd. The tilting LCD+Live view thingy does the same thing now.
Is the live view AF actually anywhere near fast enough for that in low light?
I mean on my D90 it's just retarded. Just will not work in the dark.
About the only thing I've used that was good enough was the G1.

Kynetx posted:

I'm contemplating switching to RAW, which will negate the problem entirely, especially since massive CF cards are so drat cheap.
Yeah unless you are a hobo with no money or a PJ there's no reason not to.

Kynetx posted:

Be polite with security, even if you have a backstage pass. Don't get lovely if you are challenged. You are on their turf.
Also send them manly pictures of themselves if you work on their turf regularly. Really. 90% of security knows my first name at the couple of venues I shoot at regularly.

Kynetx posted:

Carry spare batteries, since concert photography is 9/10ths luck which will require you to:
I don't do that, but that's because I can shoot 20GB of stuff on a single charge, and by then I'm out of media :ohdear:

Kynetx posted:

Take a ton of shots. In any live photography environment, composition is a luxury you don't always have. Given the often inconsistent lighting conditions you're not going to catch anything good even 5% of the time unless you're blasting the stage with a flash, and even then you may end up with something lovely.

Over the course of most full-length shows I've blasted off 700+ shots and maybe walked away with a dozen good ones at most.
This a thousand times. I can point at least 50 pics I have with superb composition and right on metering right off the camera, and of course the focus is off just enough to make it unusable. AF-C and machine gun shoot.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 18, 2009

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Carry spare batteries, since concert photography is 9/10ths luck
If you can afford it I highly recommend investing in a battery grip, double points if you buy one that can also take AA batteries.

Also I know it's a simple thing to remember but always make sure your batteries are charged the night before. I shat bricks when half way through an event both batteries in my camera died. The only saving grace was the G9 I brought with me took the same batteries as my 400D.

Kynetx posted:

I've done some work for a good friend of mine and he and his wife always demand to get raw unprocessed shots from me immediately. I finally had to put my foot down. MY shots follow MY workflow, and that involves shot selection and spending time in post. If you work for free, there is no goddamn reason to be rushed. I'm contemplating switching to RAW, which will negate the problem entirely, especially since massive CF cards are so drat cheap.
You should never give away the original files, unless there's a drat good reason. It's like handing someone the negatives. If you haven't already switched to RAW then please do, it'll make a world of difference although it can be daunting at first.
If you're shooting live performances you'll want the fastest CF card you can get, it might not be cheap but it'll help when you've fired away and become frustrated waiting for the buffer to empty. I'd recommend checking out online stores if you're not pressed for time.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

evil_bunnY posted:

Now that's just silliness.
The 828 was a pretty slick little camera for a fixed-lens and it could use CF as well.

quote:

Is the live view AF actually anywhere near fast enough for that in low light?
I mean on my D90 it's just retarded. Just will not work in the dark.
About the only thing I've used that was good enough was the G1.
It's passable. Sony uses a mirror to bounce the light that would be coming through the viewfinder into a small dedicated sensor. The switch between live view and the viewfinder is entirely mechanical. If you're in a situation where you'll need a flash it's less usable.

quote:

Also send them manly pictures of themselves if you work on their turf regularly. Really. 90% of security knows my first name at the couple of venues I shoot at regularly.
drat good idea.
[/quote]

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007
Hm, I posted some of these on PAD but I guess it's more suitable here.

Managed to sneak my camera in by convincing the security guard my camera "couldn't change focal lengths" and snapped away at Animal Collective in Toronto with grouper opening up (first pic). Shot all of these with a sony a700 and a 50mm f1.4. First time shooting a concert.

Btw, the light on the dude's head isn't glare, he's called "The Geologist" and wears a headband with a light on it. just sayin'.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I got interest from the band I shot on Friday for use of my photographs. I was thinking that I would put my name in the corner and give them permission to use a select few on their myspace only. If they wanted to use it for posters or on their proper website, they would have to negotiate a price for them. This is the first time I have licensed my pictures to anyone. Does this sound like a good plan? I know the business thread frowns upon giving stuff away for free. I know my photos have value, so should I charge money and give them the license for broader usage beyond myspace? They did not 'hire' me for their show to take pictures, so my other idea was to ask them if they would hire me for their next show explicitly for promo pictures. What did you established guys do for your first set of licensed photographs?

edit: I just thought of this. When you sign contracts for licensing, do all members of the bands sign? Are you making a contract with the individuals or the band as an entity? Do you state that this is only for use by Band X not by Solo Guy if he leaves.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2009

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Doing web-sized photos for their myspace for free is fine, just make sure they credit you in the caption too. If they want to use them for their actual website I'd charge them a small fee, and give them slightly higher-res photos without your name. If they want to use it for anything big, then draft up a contract and have all of them sign it, providing they don't have management of any kind.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
So how do you people address colour metering at concerts? You'd think this would come up in most guides, but it doesn't.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Nihiliste posted:

So how do you people address colour metering at concerts? You'd think this would come up in most guides, but it doesn't.

Along these lines, gently caress lighting people who use predominantly red lighting. DSLRs handle it so badly.

Scream Machine
Nov 14, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I half agree with Kynetx.

Respecting security can be tough as some places have extremely huge assholes working. And sometimes you're more afraid of the bartender than you are of the dudes with the huge arms keeping eye on the venue.

But mostly I agree with taking a million photos. You will wear out your battery pretty well through a show but you also get great candids. I have about 10 shots of Fischerspooner's dancers off routine, where they really showed that they were enjoying the gently caress out themselves.

Watching a woman in flesh tone spandex do the robot while laughing is something I will never forget.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Nihiliste posted:

I kind of throw white balance out the window with concerts. The lights are constantly changing colour and intensity, so what's the point? I leave it on auto and sort it out later if it needs sorting at all.

As for actual metering, definitely shoot in raw. If you've got a blown-out highlight with a purple light for instance, try desaturating that colour of purple. You can recover a surprising amount of detail by playing around with specific colour saturation. If your camera has a feature that makes blown-out areas blink when viewing the preview, turn that on so you'll instantly see what's working and what isn't. It's okay if you've blown-out a light behind the performer or whatever, just as long as the important things like facial features are still good to go. Basically get the photos are bright as you can without going over the edge. Bright photos with good contrast work the best if you need to do noise reduction in post.

Scream Machine posted:

Respecting security can be tough as some places have extremely huge assholes working. And sometimes you're more afraid of the bartender than you are of the dudes with the huge arms keeping eye on the venue.

I guess I've been lucky at the venues I shoot at. I show them the utmost respect and they show it right back. Generally, the calibre of security follows the calibre of clientele. If it's a club that caters to posers and idiots, you're going to get security that treats people like dicks. If it's a more laid-back club where people know how to behave, security is much more cool about things.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

For the most part I set my WB to sunny. I find it does the best job with stage lighting. I shoot everything raw though so I can tweak what I need to in post processing to get a more accurate color tone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

You don't. What are you going to do, whip out your grey card and hold it against the performer's face everytime the lights guy pushes a button?
I just shoot AWB and correct in post. Maybe there's a better solution, but since I'm a loving newbie I haven't found it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 19, 2009

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Sunny white balance, fancy that. I usually just edit everything in post, as well.

Shooting a daytime concert was fun, though. More than acceptable shutter speeds, and I had full access to the stage itself.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006
Did some promos today for a friend. Third time doing a promo shoot, second time in a 'studio.'

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'll be honest. It looks like you're trying to sell clothes with those shots, not the artist. Nothing really draws the eye in to the person. 2,3 and 4 are basically shots for American Apparel. 5 looks like a candid shot of a friend at the park. The first photo is really the only photo that looks like it would be a promo shot, though I'm really not liking that crop.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

rockcity posted:

I'll be honest. It looks like you're trying to sell clothes with those shots, not the artist. Nothing really draws the eye in to the person. 2,3 and 4 are basically shots for American Apparel. 5 looks like a candid shot of a friend at the park. The first photo is really the only photo that looks like it would be a promo shot, though I'm really not liking that crop.

Now that you say that I agree. How can you do singular artists promo shots?

I don't really know. I want to do into advertising photography, so I guess the fact that I've nailed down that style is good... but still.

shudder fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 20, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shooting against the sun fill is your friend.
Shooting people without sunglasses in the hogh afternoon sun isn't a brilliant idea either, you get shadowy blobs instead of definition in the eyes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

shudder posted:

I don't really know. I want to do into advertising photography, so I guess the fact that I've nailed down that style is good... but still.

You're not really selling personality with your photos. The poses and expressions are neutral. The settings are generic and bland. Your full length and torso shots might as well be head shots since there's so little going on. If I'm a record company executive, I'm thinking: "drat, this guy is boring."

Try some of the tricks you might try with concert photography. Think back to what elements made your best concert shots your best concert shots and apply that to the promo shots.

Did you talk to the artist beforehand to see if they themselves had any ideas kicking around that they might like to try? I find that's helpful in getting the ball rolling.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

shudder posted:

Try to get some more personal shots, do a few tight photos, maybe not even the whole face. Try something like a horizontal shot that cuts off somewhere in the chin region and just below the top of his head. Make the lighting dramatic if you can. I find with single people finding interesting backgrounds can really add dimension to a photos. Here's a big key to that. Remember, a background doesn't need to be vertical (it can be the ground, or what's on the ground). You'd be surprised the cool photos you can get by having someone lay on the floor or a rug and shooting down at them. It plays tricks on the mind.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Holy loving poo poo, I've been shooting bands as a hobby for 5 years and I've never bothered using photoshop till NOW

(left is the finished product after about 1 min of editing in photoshop)

MIND BLOWN. Now I have to go through 5 year's worth of photos and "fix" them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
stage light was terrible, so these were lit with vivitar 285hv/inflatable softbox using ebay wireless triggers

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

psylent posted:

Holy loving poo poo, I've been shooting bands as a hobby for 5 years and I've never bothered using photoshop till NOW

What did you do?

natashafatale
May 2, 2004

eville will always triumph because good is dumb

psylent posted:

I, for one, welcome our new Photoshop overlords. Isn't ps GREAT?!

That looks like it might be "auto levels"...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

natashafatale posted:

That looks like it might be "auto levels"...?
People knock the auto settings, but I find that 90% of my postprocessing is done as soon as I hit the auto-contrast button. If that fails, auto-levels usually does the trick. Auto-color, for some reason, never does anything but turn my photos blue.