Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

The problem with low budget digital is that it's not going to look quite as good at ISO3200.

Plus 50mm on crop digital kind of sucks when you're right next to the performers. 50mm on full-frame/film is sweet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's only a problem for Canon (heh).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

Plus 50mm on crop digital kind of sucks when you're right next to the performers. 50mm on full-frame/film is sweet though.

You can learn to work with it. I use my 50mm on my 40D a lot at concerts. It's great for shooting the singers, admittedly it can be tough for guitarists though. I like to shoot with it from like their side and angle in. Either that or you can get some cool tight shots with just their fingers and faces.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

JohnnyC posted:

an inflationary measure that simply lets you justify charging an excessive fee

Have you also considered equipment upkeep, digital storage, delivery of the files, etc.? Considering you're in a band, you should really know that time isn't the only thing that costs money.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

jackpot posted:

You might as well take all your arguments and toss them out the window, after posting that picture as justification for your stance.

Honestly? The guy works at a campus newspaper... Why get up in arms over what JohnnyC thinks. It's a college newspaper.

I bumped into this crap decades ago. "Well I'll get someone cheaper to do it, or for free..." That's when you walk away.

It's like guys who call me for post production or my steadicam friend for free work for an up and coming hip hop artist in south central LA.

"You'll get exposure, you'll get paid on the next gig"

Yeah let me drop my paying work or my friend come off an NBC job for exposure.. some people are clueless.

Actually I still bump into the same stuff today, it's just more zeros at the end.

Working for free is for chumps.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 29, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

BigKOfJustice posted:

"You'll get exposure, you'll get paid on the next gig"

The funny thing is that they'll usually either as for watermark-free photos or crop out the watermark and then by the time the photo ends up in a press kit or poster, there's no credit anyway.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Hot Cops posted:

Have you also considered equipment upkeep, digital storage, delivery of the files, etc.? Considering you're in a band, you should really know that time isn't the only thing that costs money.

I'm seriously wondering if you couldn't think of any reason other than equipment upkeep and just threw digital storage and delivery of files in as if they were anything even approaching a comparable expense.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm seriously wondering if you couldn't think of any reason other than equipment upkeep and just threw digital storage and delivery of files in as if they were anything even approaching a comparable expense.

Equipment is certainly another factor to it, storage and delivery maybe not so much though. Even if you shot 10 gigs, that amount of hard drive space costs about a dollar and a dvd is what, a quarter now? Gas money would probably factor into it more assuming that they didn't come to your place. It certainly is a lot more than just time though, it all adds up.

It's really going to come down to the band and the management as to what one should charge though. I know it can sound manipulative to not have a flat rate, but you have to take into account how much that photo is going to get used and what it'll be used for? I always clarify that before selling anything. I've had shoots that took me no time and little effort that I still made $300 on. Heck I edited the shot on their bus and gave them a copy to show the label about 10 minutes after we were done.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

I agree,

I don't think storage is too relevant except for really high end work...

On the film [motion picture] side of things, companies bill for storage space as storing film scans/digital video, visual effects assets and post production stuff usually is a few TB these days. Which is more than just the cost of the discs, you need high speed network access to the disc [ie. Isilon disc's] for 100's of users at the same time, a database to keep track of assets, multiple backup servers, and a off site backup for insurance purposes, etc.

But that's hi end.

For photography, I'd have a 2 drive setup, maybe a consumer raid, and a external disc for backup. And just factor it into the "overhead" cost along with gas and travel time.

I'd probably do an additional backup of the final client selections and raws onto gold archival dvd/cd-rom that's rated for 100 years and store it.

Back on topic, how is color profiles handled? You guys just pass off a jpeg with a color profile and hope the band/press doesn't mangle the color balance?

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 30, 2009

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Would you not charge for those? I'm just saying, they're all expenses, no matter how small or petty they'd seem.

edit: I'll also note that I'm not talking about listing those as line items on an invoice (with the exception of file delivery); they're just part of the cost-per-image if a client asks.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 29, 2009

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

All I've got is this zip gun.

Since I play in a punk/metal band we play with a lot of similar bands who I end up shooting. I've really grown fond of processing bands like this with higher contrast and lower saturation to really give em a raw and dirty look. Looking at the before and after pics there's just no comparison, their personalities really shine best in this light.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Yeah but it makes the leg hair look like Wooly Willy's magnetic beard.

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

All I've got is this zip gun.

rear end is my canvas posted:

Yeah but it makes the leg hair look like Wooly Willy's magnetic beard.

Thats the point though, they're a metal band touring in a lovely van and haven't showered for days. Make them look like the mean, dirty motherfuckers they are. We're not shooting Miley Cyrus here.

Scream Machine
Nov 14, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Some shots from Friday. The usual venue. Local MC got me in as a band member so not only did I get free beer but got to go backstage and chill when the awful rock bands came on. Was slightly annoyed with the static lighting during this set but I got a few alright shots out of it with post.

Yeah, can't tell that these were taken with a DSLR at all because of my camera's poor ISO performance but honestly, he's happy with them so I feel validated enough.

Trying to score a photo pass for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, which would be great.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
A couple of suggestions: It's difficult with MCs, but try to catch moments when the mic isn't in his face. Or, if you can, get at an angle where you can shoot in profile so that the mic doesn't obstruct as much. You could also probably stand to shoot at a faster shutter speed, it looks like you have the ISO and aperture to compensate, so long as you don't mind the grain.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If you get the Ovation channel you guys might want to check out Jazz Seen, a documentary about jazz photographer William Claxton. It's pretty good and it relates to what we are all doing.

quote:

A feature-length journey through decades of American entertainment history as seen through the eyes of talented jazz photographer William Claxton. The film focuses on the man who has given us images of film stars, jazz musicians, top models - icons of the American dream. Claxton started his career in the early fifties with a photograph of a young Chet Baker. He captured the moments when a young unknown actor became known as the famous Steve McQueen. Jazz Seen features interviews with Chico Hamilton, Burt Bacharach, Dennis Hopper, Helmut Newton, Vidal Sassoon, and many others. Claxton himself shares insights of his life, his work and the fascinating world in which he lives.

http://www.ovationtv.com/programs/515

The channel seems to regularly show photography documentaries, so keep your eye on it if that's your thing. Right now they're also playing The True Meaning of Pictures. I've got my dvr set to record.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 2, 2009

Scream Machine
Nov 14, 2005

by Fistgrrl

IndieRockLance posted:

A couple of suggestions: It's difficult with MCs, but try to catch moments when the mic isn't in his face. Or, if you can, get at an angle where you can shoot in profile so that the mic doesn't obstruct as much. You could also probably stand to shoot at a faster shutter speed, it looks like you have the ISO and aperture to compensate, so long as you don't mind the grain.

Mic Mouth is indeed a problem but sometimes you can't get the angle and you have to work with body language and their eyes. Maybe not something you put on a press kit but it's still usable. Those were shot at 1600 and 1/60 I believe. I was shooting for free drinks and my plan was to shoot the other bands and sell my pics to them but you really can't underestimate how awful the hard rock scene in the Midwest is. Everyone wants to sound like Tantric or Nickleback but also like Dope. I couldn't take it and left.

I have a hard time with arms being blown out at that venue so tonight I'll try something faster. That is, of course, if the package from the label arrives on time. I've never heard of an editor being mailed tickets and passes from the label before and it's not doing good for my nerves.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scream Machine posted:

Mic Mouth is indeed a problem but sometimes you can't get the angle and you have to work with body language and their eyes. Maybe not something you put on a press kit but it's still usable. Those were shot at 1600 and 1/60 I believe. I was shooting for free drinks and my plan was to shoot the other bands and sell my pics to them but you really can't underestimate how awful the hard rock scene in the Midwest is. Everyone wants to sound like Tantric or Nickleback but also like Dope. I couldn't take it and left.

I have a hard time with arms being blown out at that venue so tonight I'll try something faster. That is, of course, if the package from the label arrives on time. I've never heard of an editor being mailed tickets and passes from the label before and it's not doing good for my nerves.

Sometimes they do. I've been overnighted tickets on several occasions. Usually you still get the pass at the venue though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Finally got around to updating my website. Well content-wise. It's still ugly as all hell and will get a makeover this summer. There are about 25 new galleries up spanning back to last year. Shows include Mayhem Fest, a couple bands from Warped Tour, Music as a Weapon, Taste of Chaos and a whole bunch of solo shows.

Rock City Photography

Edit: Looks like I forgot to change the text under the new tease photo...no that is not Sevendust, it is Chiodos.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 3, 2009

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Todd Snider, folk singer. I'd been looking forward to this show for months, but in the end low light is low light, there's only so much you can do about it but accept it, bump to 1600, and move on. I took a shitload of photos of the guy's bare feet; it's kind of a signature thing of his, and I wanted something that fans would recognize and smile at, even if no one else did.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Some of the suggestions in this thread really helped.

Some really didn't. Maybe it was just this environment I was in, but I found evaluative metering to be the best.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
I'm going to the summer slaughter tour in atlanta later today and I'm wondering if I should take my 5D2...I'm kind of worried about it getting smashed the gently caress up, but on the other hand I really want some retarded shots of metal bands. Also I don't even know if the venue (masquerade) will let me bring it in. Does anyone have any advice or want to talk me out of it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Have you talked to the venue or the tour management at all?

Edit: what do you want to shoot? Your pals or the bands? What kind of venue is it?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 13, 2009

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Yeah I read books. posted:

I'm going to the summer slaughter tour in atlanta later today and I'm wondering if I should take my 5D2...I'm kind of worried about it getting smashed the gently caress up, but on the other hand I really want some retarded shots of metal bands. Also I don't even know if the venue (masquerade) will let me bring it in. Does anyone have any advice or want to talk me out of it?

As long as there's a photo pit at the front of the stage with security, you should be fine. Contact the show promoter if you want a photo pass. I would definitely advise you to at least try to get a photo pass because most mid-level and up shows are more strict about SLRs.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

evil_bunnY posted:

Have you talked to the venue or the tour management at all?

Edit: what do you want to shoot? Your pals or the bands? What kind of venue is it?

The band. The venue only has a phone number for mon-fri

HPL posted:

As long as there's a photo pit at the front of the stage with security, you should be fine. Contact the show promoter if you want a photo pass. I would definitely advise you to at least try to get a photo pass because most mid-level and up shows are more strict about SLRs.

I can't seem to find a way to contact anyone i would need to to get something like this. it's pretty frustrating

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

The band. The venue only has a phone number for mon-fri

I can't seem to find a way to contact anyone i would need to to get something like this. it's pretty frustrating

The venue doesn't control photo access, it's the promotion company like Live Nation or House of Blues.

Judging by the web site, the tour seems to be put on by Sumerian Records so you may want to talk to someone there. The easiest route though would be to pay your dues, crank out a bunch of concert shoots of local indie bands in small clubs and see if a small local magazine or newspaper will help you out for photos for a show review.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you know a band their management/booking can probably get you started. Otherwise, ask the promoter.

As HPL said (and that was the reason for my questioning the type of venue), you don't want to be in a moshpit with a 3kg DSL. If there's no photo pit you'll just get stomped.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You're actually kind of limited in your options since you're going today. Usually proper photo credentials need at least a few weeks to go through the proper channels. Unless you personally know someone either in the bands or tour management, you're not going to get pit access on such short notice.

Bring a point and shoot camera. Security at venues don't care anymore about point and shoots since everyone has one these days. If it's an outdoor concert in the daytime, you could even take a disposable film camera.

You could bring your 5D2 and the worst that would happen is they'll make you check it at the coat check or take it back to your car. The downside is that even if you do get to bring it in, you might it smashed, get drinks spilled on it or you won't be able to get decent photos anyway because you'll either be too far away or you'll be trying to shoot over everyone elses heads.

Really, you're probably better off bringing a small camera for shits and giggles and just enjoying the show instead of worrying about gear.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

HPL posted:

You're actually kind of limited in your options since you're going today. Usually proper photo credentials need at least a few weeks to go through the proper channels. Unless you personally know someone either in the bands or tour management, you're not going to get pit access on such short notice.

Bring a point and shoot camera. Security at venues don't care anymore about point and shoots since everyone has one these days. If it's an outdoor concert in the daytime, you could even take a disposable film camera.

You could bring your 5D2 and the worst that would happen is they'll make you check it at the coat check or take it back to your car. The downside is that even if you do get to bring it in, you might it smashed, get drinks spilled on it or you won't be able to get decent photos anyway because you'll either be too far away or you'll be trying to shoot over everyone elses heads.

Really, you're probably better off bringing a small camera for shits and giggles and just enjoying the show instead of worrying about gear.

We decided since we couldn't get photo passes to just go to a tattoo convention instead...next time I'll have to consider giving proper notice and all that for the right passes...thanks for the help!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We decided since we couldn't get photo passes to just go to a tattoo convention instead...next time I'll have to consider giving proper notice and all that for the right passes...thanks for the help!
If you had gone I would have said P&S too, especially outside in daylight.

But hey, photo wise a tatoo con could be hilarious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Masquerade is pretty lax, I've had no problems there and always just walk in and shoot in the pit.

Life Is War
Jun 20, 2006

Shark Fiesta!
If its in Hell, they're way more lax than if its in Heaven (which I'm sure Summer Slaughter was). I don't think I'd risk shooting from the pit at that show, but I'm anal about crap happening to my camera. If you want a photo pass for a show there, you definitely need to get ahold of someone thats a part of the tour. Any one of the tour managers for the bands can put your name on a photo pass list at the will call window, so emailing a bunch of them a couple days before the show usually will do the trick. As a last resort, if you get their a little early, the bands park out front and are going in and out with equipment and you can talk to them directly.

I know this is too late to help you for that specific show, but hopefully it's useful for the future.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Yeah, typically unless the PR people or the band know who you are already, you're probably not going to get a photo pass within a week of the show. Also, if it's like the last two years they haven't had a barricade for Summer Slaughter tour. I went to one in both MI and FL. I made attempts at shooting both from the crowd with little luck.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Didn't go to the tattoo convention but we ended getting photo passes for a show this dj is doing tonight: http://www.myspace.com/tamarasky

gently caress. yes.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Didn't go to the tattoo convention but we ended getting photo passes for a show this dj is doing tonight: http://www.myspace.com/tamarasky

gently caress. yes.

So, here's my night summed up in one picture:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So, here's my night summed up in one picture:

Any DJ with a set called Pussy Violence isn't necessarily going to be good, but you know it'll be entertaining.
In other news, I went to punk show, got moshed, moshed back, got my walkaround covered in beer, and generally had a ton of fun. Pictures soon.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 14, 2009

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Hooray! I have a media pass for End Of The Road festival this year once again.

https://www.endoftheroadfestival.com

I had a blast doing this last year and it helped a ton with my skills. Hopefully this year it'll be much better!

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Any of you guys get to shoot Bonnaroo last weekend? I was there with a fancy (and heavy) 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens and wound up with some good shots. I didn't have a photo pass though, so I was restricted a bit in someways and given freedom in others. In case any of you were considering shooting a music festival, here's a breakdown on what's good and bad about each situation:

Media Pass (no photo access)
At Bonnaroo, a media pass gets you certain perks. You can bring a SLR camera into the main festival grounds, you get access to the media area for interviews, you get some amenities in that area like free bottled water, electricity and wi-fi, you get limited side-stage access which while close, doesn't mean you'll be able to see very well. This may be different at the music festival you're going to.

If you want to shoot a band you're going to have to get to the front like any regular person--get there early and make your way to the front or be a dick and shove your way to the front. If you have an intimidating looking lens, sometimes people will move out of the way for you without you asking. Your best bet is to get there early though. Because you don't have a photo pass, you likely didn't sign any photo wavers and aren't hampered by the same restrictions. You can shoot the entire show, regardless of your gear's quality if it's anything like Bonnaroo.

However, as a result, you'll be able to shoot far fewer shows and you won't be able to move very much. You also will likely have a much harder time shooting artists on the main stages, unless you have a lens that is absurdly long. I didn't shoot any bands on either main stage at Bonnaroo, it was too much effort.

Photo Pass
Photo passes at festivals work more or less like photo passes at regular shows. You get 3 songs in the photo pit, no flash and you're led in and out by a representative of the festival. You'll have to get there at a determined time to get your shots. Depending on the artists performing, you'll also have additional restrictions. Bruce Springsteen only allowed a fraction of the already small pool of approved photographers to shoot his performance, for instance. Nine Inch Nails, The Mars Volta and Beastie Boys had similar additional release contracts.

So, you don't have to fight the crowds, you can shoot more bands overall if you keep a tight schedule and you have much more freedom to move in the photo pit. However, you also have to contend with the other photographers. Depending on how popular the artist is, you could be stumbling over as many as 30 photographers. And since you're ushered out after 3 songs, you might miss better photoworthy moments later in the set. For instance, Elvis Costello made a surprise appearance during Jenny Lewis's set about 6 songs in. But that's something you contend with anyway.

Overall, I'm not disappointed about "just" getting a media pass. I wasn't able to shoot some of the bands I would have loved to have shot like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but I was able to get some good shots of some of the more accessible acts like Jenny Lewis, Elvis Costello and Public Enemy.

With all that said, here's some shots from this weekend:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I took an absolutely retarded amount of photos on Saturday (god bless the 40D's 6.5 fps, but I've gotta learn to rein it in a little), these are a few I liked.

(missed it by that much!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacosDeGato
Jul 29, 2006

The other, other white meat.
Here's a couple I've done. None paid or anything, just for fun.

I was having some trouble with grain and lighting, but hey live and learn.