Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Zoowick posted:

I would have loved to see a symmetric, normal-angled shot of this. This hall has awesome lines that are wasted with the angle, but I think would have looked awesome with a centered & symmetric composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

JohnnyC posted:

bands can easily find someone who's willing to do it for less and who has a better attitude towards the work. You aren't the only person out there with a camera!

Yeah, that's why I download music. If the artists complain, then they're not the only people out there with guitars!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

JohnnyC posted:

I'm completely in favour of downloading music so I don't get your meaning?

So you'll come do a free concert for me and 500 of my friends if I buy you lunch, a beer, and some strings? And give me an album if I cover the cost of burning and labeling the CD?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

JohnnyC posted:

I can't beat that kind of exposure and if you want the record that badly you can have it.

The "getting exposure" argument is analogous to the "do it for your portfolio" argument, which is a great way to get known as "that guy who takes free pictures". All the exposure in the world won't do you any good if you don't value your own work enough to charge a sufficient amount for it. If all you are is a guy with a camera (or a guy with a guitar), then your work isn't worth anything. If you're a skilled professional, then you should be charging what skilled professionals charge in order to make a living.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
I went to a concert the other day (to watch, not to shoot), and was a little perplexed watching the photographers there. For some reason, they had omnibounces on their flashes, but pointed straight up, in bounce position -- and they didn't adjust for portrait orientation. The ceiling was ungodly high and black... why were they doing this? I mean, I know having an omnibounce technically increases the size of the light source by like .000000001%, but it's not like it's any different than direct flash if there's nothing to bounce off of. What were they trying to do?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Shot a concert the other night. It was O.A.R., with a band called Elmwood opening for them. Rules were that we were only allowed to shoot the first 3 songs of the set, and no flash was allowed. Honestly, I thought Elmwood was more expressive and energetic, but then again, I only saw the first three of O.A.R.'s set. I had a lot of fun, though. I shot with a D300 and 17-35 2.8 + 80-200 2.8. I wasn't really sure how to process, so I mostly just did exposure, fill light, and contrast.

Elmwood

O.A.R.

edit: cut it to 3 photos; here's the link to the sets on Flickr:
Elmwood: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickkneer/sets/72157622613203157/
O.A.R.: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickkneer/sets/72157622737467144/

dakana fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 6, 2009

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

pwn posted:

"We" = HPL and you.

I actually agree with you, however with bands I find that very limiting, which is why I try to make small sets of mostly medium sized pics and one or two large.

And those are great shots, particularly the tenor sax player against GREEN.

spritely posted:

Love the first two. And I believe the saxophonist owes you a BJ.

Careful about cutting off limbs!

I'm guilty of 3+ photos. Forgot about the rules. Shorry 'bout that. Personally, I don't mind 3+ from others, as long as they're well edited.

rockcity posted:

I believe we agreed to limiting posts to 3 photos. Not bad though.

Whoops. Sorry about that. I read the first post and didn't see anything about a courtesy limit. I went ahead and edited the post, cutting it to three and then just linking to the sets for the rest.

Thanks for the compliments! I hear you about cutting off limbs. I kicked myself as I got halfway to the venue and then realized that I left the battery for my Rebel XT in the charger. With how good the light was, I could have used it and the 50 1.8 at ISO 800 or 400, but without a battery I had to stick to the D300 and 17-35 + 80-200, so I had nothing between 35 and 80 and had pretty limited mobility.

I was really happy with finally getting a good shot of the sax player. He was phenomenal, but was constantly in the shadows. I don't know if he wasn't hitting his light, or if his light just didn't exist, but he kept getting this great background light and then just lovely colored light in the face. Then he turned to the side and I fired off frames as fast as I could.

I really liked the show, and would love to get into shooting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Put in for media credentials for a July concert in Toledo with Jack's Mannequin. The venue is... not very nice... but we'll see what happens.