Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wish I'd read HPL's advice before last night, but in my (weak) defence I didn't know I'd be shooting any photos at the bar I just went to for a few beers. I've never tried to shoot a musical performance before.

Nobody else had a DSLR that I saw, and the place wasn't very busy at all. This was too bad for the performers, I think a bigger crowd - and some people getting up and dancing or something - would have really helped those guys out. The opening acts were all high-school students but they did well. Weirdly, almost everything they played was (well-done) covers of songs at least as old as they are. Given I'm twice their age, this worked nicely for me - lots of stuff I recognized and really enjoyed from my own high-school days.

Some of my semi-competent shots:
The Reckless Famous 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
The Undecided 8 by Execudork, on Flickr
The Undecided 11 by Execudork, on Flickr
Nolan Shredz 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Nolan Shredz 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

I mostly shot at ISO between 4000 and 12800, so there's noise galore. I didn't have any fast lenses on me, because I'd loaded my bag for my walk to campus that morning, which was birds and flowers and bugs in bright sunlight. I shot with the kit lens and my 105mm f/2.5 macro; not an ideal combo.

If I get motivated I'll try running a few shots through a B&W conversion, there are some fantastic shots in this thread.

Also, I couldn't resist the drunken urge for some rather questionable shots / edits.
The Undecided 19 by Execudork, on Flickr
The Undecided 17 by Execudork, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Purely my entirely subjective and inexperienced opinions:
Dig it, but the microphone cutting the guy in the background in half is a bit distracting.
YES
YES
This is a concert photo? I don't know who that guy is (I'm a bit of a shut-in, I guess), so to me this photo just looks like a well-lit and decently composed "Out with my friends" shot. If the other photographers you'll be showing your stuff next to are all very familiar with this person, then go for it, I guess.
YES
YES
Pretty good, but the audience is a bit too bright and the performers are swallowing their microphones so it's not, in my mind, up there with some of the other stuff you're showing us.
Again, quite good, but it lacks the energy of some of your other shots.
Very good, but the drummer appears to have a big brass tongue.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

Just gonna keep postin'
Yes. Yes yes yes. Keep postin' everything you got, it's fantastic!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've started processing my shots from Ness Creek, a music festival I went to in July. It was my first ever music festival and I had a blast.
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 4 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Sometimes I get bored during editing and do... things... to a virtual copy.
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I loving love stage lights. I'm hopeless at dealing with them in post, but I love what they do.

I was just standing in the crowd, usually pushing (politely, :canada:) to the front and staying to one side. The actual event photogs had stage access and have posted some pretty fantastic stuff. I'm hoping to convince the organizers next year to let me be a volunteer photographer, get better access and get in to the festival for cheaper (volunteers for other tasks usually get to attend for free).

EDIT: Holy GRAP you guys are posting some great stuff. WTF, you've got some real gems in there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

If you build up a portfolio why wouldn't you ask for a job? Depending on the size of the festival you might just be able to contact their publicist and ask for a photo pass, but don't volunteer for no pay.

My "portfolio" will be the photos I shot at that event plus some shots at a live-music thing at a bar last year, shot half drunk using the kit I had with me for landscapes and birds.

1. My self-confidence regarding this kind of work isn't high enough to do it for pay.

2. I don't think of myself as a professional. I've never sold a photo. I have never shot a photo for someone else, but I have supplied images to organizations after the fact.

3. Volunteers are what makes a small music festival work. The only people getting paid at Ness Creek are the top organizers and the performers, as far as I can see.

4. I *really* don't want to take a paid gig away from somebody else. I neither need nor want to get paid to take pictures, but more than that I don't want to get in anyone else's way.
I would be happy to compete with somebody else for "shoot pictures, get in to festival for free", as long as that other person was in the same position as me, but I think it would be hard to ensure I'm not low-balling under a professional.

You raise a good point, I will have to think about this a lot more. Stage access for me would be just a fun luxury but a career necessity for somebody else.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

If you can take better photos than the paid guy and can make it work at whatever rate they're getting paid at, then unless the paid photographer is either your spouse or best friend, there's no reason to not try throwing your hat in the ring and applying for that position next year.

And if the paid guy is a lovely photographer, then you not applying is just enabling more lovely photography in the world.
Also a good point. Out of curiousity, and to keep this conversation going (I am very happy this conversation is happening), what kind of rates would you charge for a couple of dozen photos of the half-dozen bands on the main stage Saturday night?

More procrastinated-editing photos from months ago! Huzzah!
Ness Creek 2015 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Megan Nash at Ness Creek 2015 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 9 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 16 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2015 22 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

and more silly edits!
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

If your main focus is "I want to get into shows for free and take photos", work for a blog or make your own and start contacting PR companies and bands for that stuff. If you want to try making something out of it, put in the work.
I'm 99% sure my goal is "get in to festivals for free by volunteering my time as a photographer, rather than as a parking attendant (something I also have considerable experience as)". Making money is obviously a good thing, too, but clearly the minimum-work threshold to get paid in this kind of thing is higher than the work needed to just get assigned a 4-hour volunteer shift. As it should be, I'm not complaining here!

I already have a blog that's just my personal silliness update-my-mom-so-I-don't-feel-bad-about-not-calling-more-often, but I think it's reasonable to put together a blog with the specific purpose of building towards that music-festival goal. Thanks for the suggestion!

When I took the photos at the live-music thing at the bar last year I posted links to them on the facebook pages of the musicians I had shot but none of them responded in any way. Oh well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Awesomeness, and I especially like this shot.

I had a conversation with a friend-of-a-friend professional photog who suggested I contact some of the artists I shot at that summer music festival and see if they're interested in buying any. Seems obvious, really, but I was wondering if anybody here had done something like that. It feels like cold-calling, which isn't something I've done before but I have no objections.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Golluk posted:

Even caught a marriage proposal! Bald guy and the Red hed.

I believe you when you say this was a marriage proposal....
DSC01039 by Jon Mil, on Flickr

... but looking at the expression on her face, and their body positions (and location in what looks like the little-used back hallway of the joint), I'm not sure I believe you meant "accepted marriage proposal".

I could just be a cynical jerk, though. I like the pictures, what are your plans for editing?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I got re-excited about concert photography browsing this thread and there's a venue within stumbling-home distance of my apartment here that has a pretty interesting series of shows lined up for the next month or so. I sent the venue an email asking if I could take photos at the show I most want to go see.

Is this anything like the approach anybody else uses?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sharizard posted:

I typically just show up to venues and ask if I can take photos there on the night of a show that I want to go to. Whoever's working typically says yes. Afterwords, I email bands + tag the venue on FB or Instagram when I'm posting stuff online. Works out pretty well.

It's weird that whenever I've emailed a venue about taking photos, they typically don't reply to me. Maybe it's just a case of bad luck or they never see my messages or something.

Cool, thanks. If I don't hear from a person from the organization I'll just show up with my camera and ask at the door. If they say no, I guess my camera can be hidden in my jacket at the coat check. Hmmm... typing that makes me a little worried, coat check racks are not exactly bank vaults. Doors at 7:30, show at 8:00 and I live about a 15 walk away, so if they say no I might just zip back home to drop off my camera. Thinking out loud here.

The show I most want to go to is The Watchmen (Jan 28) but I'm considering Danko Jones Jan 23 - has anybody seen a recent show by either? Danko Jones has a reputation for putting on great stage shows.

Also, great shots, Sharizard. I especially like the keyboard-in-profile, it's cool to see the stage from the side like that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Trip report: Awesomeness.

The venue never got back to my email. At the door, guy #1 didn't care about my camera, just my ID, guy #2 didn't care about my camera, just my ticket, and guy #3 - I think one of the owners - barely looked at it and just said "sure!" when I asked "OK if I take some pictures?". There was another photog there, a much more professional-looking guy with two bodies wearing lenses on criss-crossed straps across his torso. We exchanged nods as I walked in.

The place is perfect for what I wanted to do - lots of room to move around, nobody minds if I pop up and shoot a few frames, and the lighting was consistently on the performers. I could get *very* close to the people on stage, too. I took only my 28/2.8 and my 105/2.5, and the highest I had to push the ISO was about 4000 a few times. Mostly I could keep it at f/4, 1/125, ISO 2000. So far I've gotten through my shots of the opening act, East of Avenue, and I've started on the ~500 pictures (~300 were instantly recognizable as garbage) I took of The Watchmen.

East of Avenue at Maxwell's 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 9 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I think keyboard players are the hardest performers to take good pictures of. They just don't emote in quite the same photogenic way that singers or guitarists seem to do. It's harder to look cool at a keyboard than with a guitar around your neck, I think.

East of Avenue at Maxwell's 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Straight out of camera (after a run through Lightroom, but no adjustments made in LR).

East of Avenue at Maxwell's 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

https://www.tinnitusnottinea.com

is it hotlinking if it's from my own Squarespace account?

I dunno about that, but I get an "untrusted connection" when I click on your link.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sharizard posted:

What did the original crop of this look like? It would have been cool to see more of what was above / below the band.

Glad everything went smoothly, btw. I see in the exif that you're using a Pentax K-5. How do you like it for low light stuff? I rented the Pentax K-5 II just to try it out and possibly buy one used for dirt cheap. It's pretty alright, but I don't know if I should just aim for the K-3 II instead.

The short answer is "ceiling-mounted HVAC ducts above, audience silhouettes (and pajama-pants) below".
I cropped it to 3:1 because I like having a few banner-format images to choose from (for cover images for my Flickr albums, for example), and because I like that composition for that image. Here's the uncropped version:
East of Avenue Uncropped by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I love my K-5. My previous camera was a K-10D that, while generally lovely, had severe problems with low light. Max ISO on that beast was 1600, and anything higher than 800 was streaky and basically unuseable. So I'm coming from "pretty horrible" (for these circumstances) to "certainly not horrible" and it's difficult for me to compare, say, my K-5 vs. a K-5 II vs. a K-3 or K-3 II. As usual, I think ergonomics are going to be important, and while I've never handled either a K-5 II or a K-3, the reviews I've read clearly show how big the K-3 / K-3 II are compared to the K-5 / K-5 II. Also, I'm pretty sure the K-3 II has no pop-up flash. I doubt that's going to matter in a concert (back me up here, please - nobody's going to get good pictures at a concert using their pop-up, right? Besides pissing everyone off). If you are using off-camera flash, how do your flash units work with the signals put out by a K-3 II? My (hilariously awkward) Sigma 530s communicate with my K-5 only when the K-5's pop-up is up. Pentax-brand units presumably talk to a K-3 II just fine.

The K-5 II is considerably cheaper (especially used) than the K-3 II. Maybe consider what you'd spend the difference in money on instead? A really fantastic show? A shiny-shiny new lens? A million-to-one gamble on a portfolio of excellent prints?

Here's a few of the headliner that night, The Watchmen.
The Watchemen 28 January 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

EDIT:
Editing is degrading my mind. Here's what happens when I start to get loopy while LR is open.
The Watchemen 28 January 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 33 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 38 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 13, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is this the exact moment he decided to tell you to quit shooting?

Did anyone tell you why they wanted you to stop? Were you getting in the way of other audience member's view / enjoyment?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's pretty cool, but I think you're missing an opportunity to play with a dumb coincidence around your name.

Just Ink ENT Prints .com

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'll be volunteering this year at the music festival I attended last year, though not as a volunteer-photographer - that wasn't one of the options when I chose what jobs I was willing to do as a volunteer. I picked "Cleanup" as one of my acceptable options - I can clean outhouses, and that job has lower and more flexible time commitments - but ended up with, basically, campground helper.

I had been feeling too financially stressed to consider a new lens, but yesterday and today I've been putting together my travel expense claims and my ugly credit card debt is largely the fault of work, so I'm planning to be irresponsible and spend some non-claimable money once these claims are filed.

I shoot a Pentax K-5, and the lenses I'm considering are:
SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF]
I'm also planning to get the DA* 300/4 for birding / wildlife, but at the moment I'm thinking more about this festival than about birds.

I want a *good* lens to replace my current entry-level variable-aperture options (DA 18-55/darkness; Sigma 100-300/darkness) and a zoom would provide some nice flexibility compared to my 28/2.8 and 105/2.5 macro (which are quite nice lenses, I think) primes. I can only justify a single ~$800 purchase right now, so I'm not going to get both.

What kind of focal-length range do you folks tend to shoot? I can get reasonably close to the performers, but I would also like to get some wider shots showing the audience, or the whole band on the stage.

EDIT: Goddammit, eBay is (as usual) full of stupidity but the prices on those lenses are up around $1200, while the new price locally (not usually stocked, but they'd order it in) for either of those lenses is $1300. I've never bought anything camera-related new, except my tripod, but I'm considering it now.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 17, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\ That's a really spectacular way to start down a path. I dunno about "better" but I know you consistently post great stuff here.

I went to a music festival! The same one as last year - Ness Creek, northern Saskatchewan - but this year I volunteered so I got in early and for free. I missed some acts due to the 4-hour shifts I put in, but being a Campground Host is pretty chill and I had backstage access, too. I wanted to be a volunteer photographer, but that wasn't an option when I signed up; I talked to one of the photog's wearing a volunteer T-shirt, he's been volunteering at this festival for years, as well as other festivals in the area. Maybe next year?
I've got a few hundred photos to plow through but to keep myself motivated I'm uploading them in batches, one or two acts at a time.

Good For Grapes 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Good For Grapes 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Val Halla
Val Halla 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Val was a "tweener", given about 10 minutes in between full-stage acts. At the end of her set, she introduced the next act with a better by far intro than the official MCs.
"I'm pretty sure these next guys are a rock and roll band"

Public Animal proceeded to loving blow away EVERYTHING. Goddam they're high-energy. It was awesome.
Public Animal 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 21 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 26 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 40 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 48 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 53 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Also a fight almost broke out right in front of the stage. An older guy tried to get the security guard's attention - sitting just on the other side of the fence, but even full shouting and frantic arm waving didn't get the guard's attention, he was watching the show. Eventually the guard looked the right way and saw a 60-something-year-old festival-goer frantically jumping up and down about 6 inches away.
Scuffle by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
None of Butthole's images in that post are showing up for me at all.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, those photos are killer. Awesome stuff!

Is this an exhibition of a bunch of people's photos of concerts, or an exhibition of your photos in general?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Doubleposting because I don't want the comparison with I, Butthole's pictures - mine aren't in the same league. At all.

Anyway, have some Sojourners performing for a bunch of Canadian hippies. They were excellent.
Sojourners 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last round of Ness Creek from me.
Shred Kelly absolutely killed it. And they were JUST. SO. FREAKIN'. HAPPY. to be there.
Shred Kelly 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 37 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 41 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 44 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 55 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Yukon Blonde were the finishers. They're really good, but they don't have the same raw energy and sense of FUN as Shred Kelly.
Yukon Blonde 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 19 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Camera held over my head, a hail-mary kind of shot that actually turned out at the after-hours stage.
Afterhours Stage Saturday Night 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The Celebration Army
(opening for The Trews in Waterloo, Ontario)
The Celebration Army 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Celebration Army 33 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A week later, so not a doublepost. But yes, a bit of a photodump. Oh well!
The Trews
The Trews 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 27 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 37 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 41 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 45 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 50 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 53 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

This one is my favourite from the night
The Trews 56 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Clearly, to get those on-stage shots I'll need to sign on as a roadie.
The Trews 64 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Trews 67 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wasn't looking for critique but I will happily take it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't have any band/concert photos to show right now, but I like this discussion (and I feel like procrastinating at work right now).

Drummers in the dark. Yes. Goddam it can be hard to get a shot of every band member, something I try to do as well. I have similar problems with keyboard players - I've already whined about this - because both drummers and keyboardists tend not to move around much, and often get stuck at the back of the stage, compared to vocalists, guitarists, and brass/wind players (aside: ever see an electric clarinet? I didn't have my camera with me at a show a few years ago, really tall dude blowing into one was pretty interesting). I suspect the best answer to this is "spend money" and I should buy the lens I want for birds and bring it to shows. Get all wildlife-photog on it.

Other photogs. I haven't run into the problems / self-restrictions you describe, but I can see where you're coming from. Last year I went to a show at my local venue and the other person walking around with a DSLR (he actually had 2) was clearly being paid to be there - he went backstage at one point, and was given access to some higher ground at the back near the bar (a platform in the corner, and another just behind the sound & light system controllers). He was there again at the more recent show I went to, and again he was taking shots from places I couldn't go. I should try to talk to him next time, I'd like to learn his name and see the pictures he's been taking. Nothing is showing up as clearly his from the venue's webpage or on Facebook.

At one point during the music festival I went to in July, a non-photog festival-goer saw me at the front fence and offered to swap places with me so I could get better pictures - she was in a position not blocked by a speaker compared to the corner I was shoving myself into. Of course, that put me directly in front of said speaker, so to prevent complete loss of hearing I swapped back with her after about one minute.

Related to this, does anyone have any recommendations for earplugs or other hearing protection? The earplugs I had with me most recently are the cheap disposable kind for construction workers and they don't block sounds evenly - I took them out because it wasn't *that* loud in the smallish venue and they were interfering with my enjoyment of the music (and yes, my ears were ringing all the way home). I couldn't hear the singer very well, and high notes were almost completely blocked while mid-tones were overwhelming.

Repeat visits to venue. Also a good point. Especially the related point about getting there early and seeing the opening acts. At the most recent show I realized at the end of the night that most of the people in the very front row had been there all night, just staying in one place (pressed against the barrier) for about 3 hours straight. I don't know if I have the bladder fortitude to try that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

This is a really great photo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There are a few ways to brighten up a photo in post-processing. An unskilled person can do it with any photo editor - even the very basic editor built into most computer operating systems, or the things you can do with images in Microsoft Powerpoint. Somebody who knows what they're doing can do it well, which is what you want. In this case, you need both "done" and "good" (but nobody needs "perfect").

Start with the highest-resolution and least-previously-hosed-with version of the photo you have available. If that photo was shot in RAW, get that file if you can. I'm guessing you won't have access to that file so we'll stick with what can be done with a JPG - which is a fair bit, so don't worry.

My advice:
1. Open that photo in whatever image-editing software came with your computer. Fiddle around with the controls for Brightness and Contrast, see what you can get.
2. Post your question to the photo-editing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912
Somebody in there will probably take your image and start playing with it just out of sheer curiousity.
3. Post your question in GBS and watch the lunatic fringe of Goondom photoshop your band to hell and back. That's purely for entertainment. Fair warning: I'm contemplating doing this myself. I probably won't do it, but having planted this seed of an idea into the Dorkroom hivemind, who knows what will come of it?

Also, which one is you?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My brother-in-law's band had a show in a small club on Saturday and I brought my camera for fun to try to get some shots. This was my first time shooting musicians like this. I usually shoot wildlife and landscapes, so trying to get moving people in a dark room with hosed up lighting was definitely a challenge, but A) it was super fun B) it's really hard and I'm so impressed with the stuff I saw in this thread when I skimmed through before the show.

If there's a next time, I'll definitely try to be bolder and move around more.
Tom-6213 on Flickr
That's very similar to how I started shooting bands and concerts. It wasn't a relative or friend, but I had been out for a late-afternoon walk trying to shoot birds and landscapes when my GF invited me to a bar with her friends that was hosting a kind of battle-of-the-bands thing. I shot most of that night through my 105mm macro, because it had a much wider useable aperture than the other lenses I had with me.

Also, I like that picture.

Helen Highwater posted:

Looking at you lighting designers that drench the stage in red LEDs.
The Trews 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
This shot was actually lots of fun to process, I already had plenty of "properly" lit shots so the crazy lighting the band brings with them on tour (that big square in the background is not owned by the venue) was just a toy for me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I haven't edited any photos for months. Thanks to this thread I sat down and got some done.

Mudmen at Maxwells 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 29 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 34 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 39 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 42 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 44 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 54 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 62 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mudmen at Maxwells 64 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
#1, #2, #5. Brighten up her face in #2.

Edit: crop out the shoulder of the person in the background of #1. Are you restricted to a specific aspect ratio?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 17, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ness Creek Folk Music Festival 2018.
The workshop stage at Ness Creek 2018 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The Great Fuss
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0010 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0015 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0016 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0020 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0026 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
More from the music festival.
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0004 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0009 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0013 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0014 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0028 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0036 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm going to keep posting my music festival photos until somebody stops me.
Grace Clark at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Garrys at Ness Creek 2018-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Garrys at Ness Creek 2018-0016 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mob Bounce at Ness Creek 2018-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mob Bounce at Ness Creek 2018-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mob Bounce at Ness Creek 2018-0011 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0013 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Another day, another set from the music festival
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0020 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0023 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0026 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0027 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Megan Nash with Bears in Hazenmore at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Megan Nash with Bears in Hazenmore at Ness Creek 2018-0012 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Kobo Town at Ness Creek 2018-0008 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Sadies at Ness Creek 2018-0004 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Sadies at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Sadies at Ness Creek 2018-0014 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ReverendHammer posted:

I am really liking this pic.

Me too. It took me a lot of staring to work out why the colours are the way they are across the whole photo.
Like 3 minutes of deliberately pondering why the area on the left is the same colour as his face. It's a very-out-of-focus back-of-head in the foreground.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This weekend the local council organised a beer / BBQ / music festival, presumably to jump-start regional tourism as well as showing off to the rest of the world that here in Australia we can do live music in this time of covid. Mostly very local bands and plenty of covers. Still, it was great to get out, have some good food and good drinks and just mingle at a small but real festival. Narry a mask to be seen, but the gate security was more concerned with everyone checking in with the New South Wales tracking app than with tickets.

I'm blaming the quality on my lack of practice, as well as the really excellent local microbrews I was drinking.
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 07 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 09 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's a cool idea, and I like the results.

Where in Waterloo? I used to live stumble-home distance from Maxwell's and I still miss going to shows there.