Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zoowick posted:

Would you clone out the light stands in the back in the final one, or leave them in? I don't think I would have noticed them at all if I wasn't trying to dissect your lighting setup ("hey they're sidelit but casting shadows forward!")

The post-processing on most of them isn't really to my taste but I can see how bands/other people would like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Zoowick posted:

Another band promo. They wanted the guitarist getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

I agree with Interrupting Moss, your post-processing style isn't always my thing but these came out very well.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haggins posted:

I just saw this guy on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/orgasmatron

Someone of his stuff is a little too contrasty for my tastes but overall I like it a lot.

Do you guys get any use out of 70-200 2.8? I eventually want to get one but there is other gear I want/need right now too. All have I have right now is:

Rebel Xti
17-50 2.8
50 1.8
Vivtar 285HV

I want to step up my concert game and I was thinking about either getting the 70-200 or a 580EX II and few other misc things I need.

Try renting one first (Rentglass in Celebration is good)... I'm not terribly picky about that sort of thing thing but big lens + small body can lead to some wonky handling/balance issues.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Some more from the show

(couldn't resist)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

A selection of my favs from the Jim Beam Homegrown 2010 festival in Wellington, New Zealand. Sorry if it's too many :]

Holy poo poo, I didn't know Tim Allen had a band.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

quote:

Bright Young Things

Hipsters :negative:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

We saw Lady Gaga last Monday. They actually encouraged bringing point & shoot cameras, but said "no professional equipment." All I have is an EP-1, but I didn't want to have to argue with $100 tickets over it as I'd have to carry in a long professional-looking lens to get any decent pictures at all.

It's a shame you can't bring beers in, because you could totally cut the bottom out of a tallboy and put something like an original Pen-F or Leicaflex telephoto in there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
rockcity, where do you stow your gear when you're shooting Warped?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Fart Arsenal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

At f/1.2, almost all your shots will be out of focus to one degree or another unless you get lucky. I have shot concerts with an 80mm f/1.9 in medium format and the razor-thin DOF is brutal for low-light manual focusing on moving subjects.

A bit late, but if you're shooting digital you can just focus-bracket, works pretty well for me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So is the NEX5 the magical concert camera we've been waiting our whole lives for? Whats the fastest lens they make that works with autofocus?

edit: It's available on lensrentals.com to try out and it looks like theres a Sony 35 f/1.4

Maybe for small, intimate shows; if you're shooting a regular band from a photo pit I don't think the NEX's size/ergonomics are really much of an asset. I suppose it would be good for passing off as a "who gives a crap?" P&S if you're not shooting officially though :haw:

I don't think any of the Alpha-mount lenses will AF even on the Sony adapter, so the answer to your question would be the 16mm f/2.8. Manual focus is fine with the LiveView/digital zoom, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about shooting action that way, haven't tried it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

I know a few photographers that have done that. Those kinds of things aren't really about the concert shots so much as the candids of everything in between shows since doing full show shoots of the same band every night would probably get real old, real quick.

That's basically my favorite stuff to shoot (and I'm doing dick all right now), but I don't really know anybody in a band/related to the music scene. I think it's been like 3 years since I went to a show.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haggins posted:

Every time anyone I know goes into a band's van, it has something to do with drugs. I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Yeah that's the other thing, need to be far and away from drugs if at all possible.

Maybe there's a straight-edge band that's touring :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Alot of interesting stuff happens around drugs.

I've got nothing against them personally, but it wouldn't help me out at all when it comes to getting a real job.