Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltingpoint
Jul 29, 2007

Out Like A Sack Of Lights
What a great thread. I've been doing this for about a year now, although recently I've been going through a bit of a dry patch and haven't had any decent work since some promo bits I did at Christmas.

I stick to the mantra of never using a flash (I used a flash for paid live work once when the venue was darker than a dungeon, the results are awful but you just literally have no choice in that situation) and pumping the ISO aperture up.

I use a Nikon D50 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 which yields some great results although it can really take a while to get the hang of the shallow DoF when the aperture is wide open. Practice loads and take loads of shots per gig, then you can extract the best bits!

I'm hoping to get some more work soon when a local festival kicks off in the next few months. Here's a few of my shots, all paid. First two are live, last one is promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU