Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I think I'm doing this right

The venue wasn't particularly great, most of the audience concerned themselves with packed lunches and bingo. Social clubs aren't exactly dance halls.

However, the performance was pretty good all things considered. Poor lighting made auto focus a nightmare and, as someone earlier in the thread noted, picking AF-points gives you more chance of taking a successful photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Carry spare batteries, since concert photography is 9/10ths luck
If you can afford it I highly recommend investing in a battery grip, double points if you buy one that can also take AA batteries.

Also I know it's a simple thing to remember but always make sure your batteries are charged the night before. I shat bricks when half way through an event both batteries in my camera died. The only saving grace was the G9 I brought with me took the same batteries as my 400D.

Kynetx posted:

I've done some work for a good friend of mine and he and his wife always demand to get raw unprocessed shots from me immediately. I finally had to put my foot down. MY shots follow MY workflow, and that involves shot selection and spending time in post. If you work for free, there is no goddamn reason to be rushed. I'm contemplating switching to RAW, which will negate the problem entirely, especially since massive CF cards are so drat cheap.
You should never give away the original files, unless there's a drat good reason. It's like handing someone the negatives. If you haven't already switched to RAW then please do, it'll make a world of difference although it can be daunting at first.
If you're shooting live performances you'll want the fastest CF card you can get, it might not be cheap but it'll help when you've fired away and become frustrated waiting for the buffer to empty. I'd recommend checking out online stores if you're not pressed for time.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I don't mean to whine but the only thing that irks me about band photography is waiting for the bands to turn up.
I'm sitting in a pub by myself like a lemon waiting for people to arrive. Once things kick off I know it'll be alright, till then it's time for another pint and more forum browsing.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

edit:

Tincans fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 27, 2012

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I'd like to suggest that we use Wordpress as contributers can send their photos/reports to be reviewed before posting online among other benefits. Plus we can have a swish looking site in hardly any time.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

If you guys want to use Wordpress to run the site I recommend going with Graph Paper Press for a premium theme. I use one myself and they have a great videos section that anyone can view and learn how to use Wordpress, edit the look/colours of a theme and how to include photos/videos in a post.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

edit:

Tincans fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2012

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Another disgruntled Canon 400D shooter here. This makes me wish I had ordered the 5D mkII a week earlier. Nonetheless it was a challenge shooting with a 50mm f/1.8. I could have used a touch of flash without nuking the stage lighting but it was a toned down night and I didn't want to disrupt the band or the audience.

Tincans fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2012

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

HPL posted:

What particular problems were you having? I shot with a 400D for a while before upgrading to a 40D.

It wasn't any particular problem. It's more feeling that the hardware is holding me back and I'll benefit from the advantages of going full-frame.

Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So who are these guys? Is this how they dress when they perform or is this a concept just for the photo shoot?

I went to a small hip hop show. It was cool.

0:30 Video of a dude rapping if you care to watch such a thing. http://youtu.be/k2aMhOh8oK4

Did they let you set up a couple flashes or did you place them regardless? Either way they look great.

What's the deal with the guy in the background of this photo? This could looks amazing if you highlighted the background guy and reduced the brightness of him a bit, just for balance y'know.

I'm not into rap music but the dude in't video has got skills.