Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Hope it's cool to cross-post from PAD (I completely forgot about this thread before I posted there)

First go at concert photography last night, unfortunately the photo pass I thought I had didn't materialise. Kind of hard to get around the people in front of me, I think this works though. A few of the shots in the set (I think you can tell which ones) were shot holding my camera above my head, shame my 30D doesn't have live view, but hey.

Rest of the set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongold/sets/72157615105918239/

All in all I had fun, can't wait to give it another go (and get a photo pass!)

As for promo photography I'd love to do that but I'm really poo poo with models in general at the moment so I think I'd like to practise more with my friends in the studio before I take on a poor unsuspecting band. (My direction skills pretty much consist of 'er yeah can you er turn that way and maybe I dunno, smile or something DON'T ASK ME')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Wooo go pitch black darkness, no flash and slow (or relatively fast manual) lenses :gah:

It was my friend's band's first gig (first photo), one of a couple of bands that another friend was putting on as a charity benefit, so I did some freebies (also I am terrible and would never charge for photos yet)

On the back of this I've been asked to do like 4 more gigs in the next few weeks, not going to charge people (or might do if they want big copies or something, I dunno), but doing some freebies for CD covers & flyers in the local scene worked out well for my design work; I figured doing a couple of free photography gigs isn't the end of the world. It is a hobby I guess.

Rest of the set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongold//sets/72157620961744005

Need a flash bigtime though, maybe I could get one with some profit over the summer :)

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

HPL posted:

Don't sell yourself short. You're better than half the concert photographers in my town.

I've literally only shot one gig before, live stuff is such a mixed bag especially with my kit that I wouldn't want to charge people and then not come back with anything useable.

When I was getting into 'freelance' design a couple of years ago especially for friends' bands and clubs I'd say like 'I'll charge you £50 (which is nothing); if you don't like it then don't pay me' which is a crap business strategy (and I'd never do that today), but it helped me gain confidence because there's nothing I hate more than the thought of a client paying you and you coming back with garbage.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

No. 9 posted:

Great stuff as everyone else has said. What lenses are you using, especially in the link above?

In the photos above it's just 30D + 18-55 kit lens (no IS :(), in a couple of the photos in the set I used a Pentax-SMC-Hakumar 55mm f2 likethis for example. But mainly the kit.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
You know what Friday means, right?

Shiny new business card day, of course!

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
gently caress you, lighting technicians. Also gently caress you pro gig photographers making my dick look small with your fast lenses and off=camera flashes and battery grips and big Domke bags.

Also gently caress you Zurich for forgetting to charge your batteries.

Just going to put two up, not particularly proud of the rest of the set.

Got asked to do some promo photos for one of the bands from the other night - not really sure what to do other than borrow my friend's 10-22 and hope for the best, always been crap at directing 'models'. Also going to go to the bands from this gig's next shows to do some proper photography at a venue with good lighting.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Has anyone experimented with getting the crowd in the shot. I mean like, really getting the crowd in the shot. Shooting from a couple of rows back so you get bits of hands and hair in the corner of shots.

Not caring about mic stands or speakers obscuring musicians.

It might be that my photography in general is heavily influenced by street photography, it might be that I was quite drunk last night or it might be that I was tired of fighting with the 'proper photographers' for position but I thought it might put an interesting spin on things.

More relevant for underground bands at small clubs than Barbara Streisand but I think there's a time and a place for perfectly composed photos and a rock gig isn't it. The fans don't get a perfect view of the band with perfect lighting so why should you?

Just a thought, we'll see how last night's photos came out (still importing).

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Yeah I meant pretty much shooting from the middle of the pit at a metal gig.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Wow, finally getting around to uploading some of the shots from the other night. This is taking forever, still got 2 bands to process :(

Oooh, I was handing out my card at the gig and got asked to do freelance work for a music magazine :)

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
I dunno, you're shooting with a point & shoot in low light at a low shutter speed, what do you expect?

You need to sort out your light but I'm not sure how far you'll get with that camera. For the home pictures you could probably just get a load of desk lamps and hide them off camera. Also fix your white balance.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Try boosting the contrast and cutting the saturation to start with. Perhaps the photocopying and whatever else is why your photos look weird.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

Getting there :)

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Shot these a few months ago, quite happy with them (and the band loved them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

How the hell am I going to get any good photos in a crowd that close to the musicians? Taking my gear into the middle of a mosh pit never makes me feel at ease :(
30D + 18-55.

Not necessarily rugged, but the lens is so poo poo/cheap it doesn't really matter if it gets beer thrown over it.