Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

psylent posted:

What was the lighting setup for that shot?

rockcity got it right, it was a single light setup. A 430EX in a softbox camera left at full power probably about 10 feet away from the band. They were up on a little hill and I was below them shooting slightly up. It was a tough shoot as the lead (the dude in the middle) pretty much refused to lighten up and act anything but serious and was over critical of every single little loving thing. This is literally the second promo shoot I've done and while not amazing it's not bad either. I was also shooting in the North End in Boston so there were a poo poo ton of people/cars/cops/etc

*edit for EXIF Data*
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5)
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

I metered for the background (they wanted Boston behind them)

*edit v2: another (bit more goofy) one

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Time to bring this thread back to life a bit. I just got back a little while ago from shooting No Fights Fest 2 at the QVCC in Worcester, MA featuring Nemes, Letterday, Tomorrows War, The Breakup Season, Dear Saint and Sweet Hollow Drive. Here are some preview pictures (which have not been edited in any way)!

Sweet Hollow Drive Guitar Swing (he pointed at me before he did this)

The guest vocalist was rather energetic

Yes that is an electric violin

I think the crowd likes it

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

gently caress yeah, that's some dope poo poo. That's like the holy grail of guitar toss photos.

He did it twice (both giving me advance notice). The second time I caught it in the beginning instead of the end. It still looks cool, but holy poo poo I was stoked to have captured that. I need to get rid of the mic at the top though (I was shooting with the 10-20mm).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

mysticp posted:

It uses IR and visible light to trigger the flash. It can't just use IR only. As long as you are in a reasonably reflective environment then it will be no problem. So it's not direct line of sight, but it is also not true wireless. For that you do need specialized kit - when I need that (not for concert stuff) I use Cactus V4 and set everything to manual.

I got a set of CTR-301Ps off ebay via Yonguo Digital and they haven't failed me yet. I love cheap rear end radio triggers

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
In the next half hour or so I will be heading (back) out to Worcester to shoot the Four Year Strong Holiday Show. Bands include: Four Year Strong, Bane, Therefore I Am, Beyond City Lights and Smartbomb.

I'm going to be in the photo pit with the guy from Future-Breed and the guy from Return to the Pit. This is going to be interesting to say the least...seeing how my flash diffuser is made from a damned cool whip container. But, as you can see from the photos I have posted, it works pretty drat well.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

I shot Four Year Strong on the Taste of Chaos tour earlier this year. They like to hop around a lot. Use a wide angle and get a shot of them all jumping at the same time if you can. It's a neat effect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abortmagazine/sets/72157616272005242/

The lighting at the Palladium is pretty horrific so I was shooting flash (with wide angle!) and I hope I got a few good shots.

I got an amazing shot of the Bane guitarist, he jumps wicked high

*edit* I love the inadvertent stroboscopic effect when you catch another flash during your exposure

*edit v2* The crazy rear end guitarist from Bane

Full Preview Set Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/sets/72157623084782608/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 28, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
And the crowd goes wild (for Therefore I Am)

Anybody notice something special about this photo? rockcity i'm looking at you

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

hey pr0digal, do you use the flash on or off camera? I have yet to use flash in small places because I don't want to be too annoying with it, but i might save it for the last song and just go nuts because I'm starting to go to some really dark and hole in the ground bars.

sorry for the late response, i've been in DC with limited internet for the past few days. I was shooting on camera flash at that show, I had it at 1/2 power and diffused so as not to blind anybody. Almost every single photographer in the pit (save the AP guy and a shooter with a 35mm prime) had a flash.

rockcity has it correct! that would be the lead singer of Therefore I Am who decided to go crowd surfing

*edit* photos from the show are up!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157622986629569/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 1, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I was feeling really good about my shots, and then saw some of the ones that have been posted recently. I'm still happy with my shots, but man you guys are good.

Anyways, local band.

I love the expression on his face; classic.

While the photo of Aaron from Bane is not technically well done, I like the stroboscopic effect of another flash being fired during my exposure.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Four Banger posted:

That's what I was expecting. Hopefully the venues layout will help me though.

I just got a Nikon SB600, so this will also be my first time shooting with a flash. What would the best thing for me to do? I've never shoot a concert with a flash before.

My flash settings are usually 1/2 power (diffused) with my f-stop at around f/4 and shutter speeds between 1/8th and 1/13th of a second. Granted I shoot mainly hardcore and pop-punk bands...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I was getting crap from some other "photographers" about using a f4 the other day. Okay, I understand you dont want things detracting from your subject. But I don't have the best AF point control on my camera (Canon XS), and if i grab a bad one at 1.8, then my shot is boned.

I guess that makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Well my sigma 10-20mm is f/4-5.6 so I do most of my shooting wide open at f/4 usually with a flash because the shows I shoot have either zero lighting or lovely lighting.

The below picture is from the show I just shot tonight (well technically last night) at the Palladium Upstairs in Worcester, MA. It was a CD release show and there were a bunch of metal/hardcore/metalcore bands playing (including thrash metal!) The lighting was pretty lovely but the show was fun.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I just got back from shooting a wicked intense basement show with Transit and Make do and Mend headlining. You pack a bunch of wildly loyal fans into a small basement and you are left with zero space to move around and wicked hard conditions to photograph in. That being said it was an amazing show and I managed to keep my camera unharmed. Here is a nice little preview. I love my 10-20mm so much, even in confined spaces I am still able to get some good shots.

Transit (http://www.myspace.com/transitma)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

evil_bunnY posted:

pr0digal that's pretty great stuff. Do you have a set somewhere?

yup, http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157623087037791/

all the bands from the show

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Well i've been rather dead to this thread lately due to being hilariously busy. The bands Four Year Strong (who I shot in December) and A Loss For Words (an amazing local band that is still unsigned for some very odd reason) did an acoustic set at my school (Fitchburg State). Since I loved both the bands I went along and decided to bring along my camera as well. I got some great shots of the lead singer of AL4W Matty.

Lens: 85mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO 1600 Handheld

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Aeka 2.0 posted:

what body are you using?

dunkman is correct: Digital Rebel XTi. I have an in camera setting that is high contrast black and white so it came out pretty well for ISO 1600. There are a few shots that came out decent from the night.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got back from shooting a benefit show for Haiti at the QVCC in Worcester, MA. A bunch of local hardcore/metalcore bands. Aside from a fight that broke out it was a pretty fun show.

I forget the name of the band but this is my favorite capture of the night so far. This is the synth player for one of the bands who screams as well. I caught him at the right moment

*edit*
Shot with my XTI with sigma 10-20mm. 430EX triggered by CTR-301ps camera left.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I shot a show at my college Tuesday night which the local pop-punk band A Loss for Words headlined. I don't have a ton of photos up just yet so I'll post a couple preview shots. Both are of A Loss For Words.

Matty the lead singer

The jumpy bassist (I know I cut off the tip of the bass but he was tough to catch)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I usually go alone but there are often a lot of people I know at the shows I shoot.

Another one from the A Loss for Words show (I know I cut off the tip again but I was shooting pretty much in the dark).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Shot New Found Glory and We the Kings tonight with a rented 16-35L and had a hell of a time.

drat I need to stick to local shows

Ian and Chad of New Found Glory

On the fence about this photo, can't decide if I like it or hate it. It's a cool shot but not really all that great

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 7, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Finally got all my photos from New Found Glory edited. The ones from We The Kings didn't come out as good.

1. Ian the bassist

2. Chad from the crowd (thank you 85mm f/1.8)

3. Chad mid-air. It was backlit to hell hence why it is so dark

click for larger and for flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
More show photos from me. Pop-punk bands mean posi jumps a plenty (in a garage, I poo poo you not)

I know they look odd, I accidentally had the compression set to 4 in Photoshop

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

dreggory posted:

Shot a bunch of hardcore bands on Saturday. Much much much more entertaining than the typical indie 'three guys standing around for 45 minutes' I usually run into around here.

The best part was a conversation I had with one of the bouncers before the show:

:madmax: Would I be able to get to the wings to shoot from the side of the stage?

:raise: ...I think that would probably be the best place for you.

Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bradshaw/sets/72157624024091867/

I shoot mainly hardcore/pop-punk bands and he gave you some pretty drat good advice. Especially if you are not used to dodging flying fists and pileups. Though the crowd looks pretty tame. Great angle and back lighting on the first!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Bands that don't move around and have crowd interaction are boring in my book

Here are a few from the last show I shot with my old body (XTi) with an f/4 lens (Sigma 10-20mm)

With the Punches:

Transit:

Transit again:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

I've always loved your shots, what do you use to light them?

Thanks! I use a 430EX at 1/2 power diffused by a cool whip can with a t-shirt over it. I alternate between on and off camera depending on the lighting situation. If I remember correctly the two Transit shots are taken with the 430EX off camera.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bojanglesworth posted:

Picture of that flash set up please and thank you.

Can do! I use radio triggers from eBay. I'll have a picture up in a few minutes. Also on the Transit pictures I was mistaken for those particular ones I did not use the flash off camera. However they were still shot half power diffused by my coolwhip container. I'll have those pictures up momentarily. I have to change things around now since I upgraded to a 5D Mark II and lost my 10-20mm.

I came up with the idea of the diffuser in the first place because the 10-20 was so wide that normal flash (even shot at TTL on hotshoe) made a weird circle around the subject so I made my diffuser which worked wonderfully. I have a 24-70 which is wide on the 5D so I think I will stick with my diffuser and modify as I see fit.

This one I did:

and this one from another band:

And here we go! Click for large

Click here for the full 683x1024 image.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 9, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bojanglesworth posted:

Very interesting. Props for thinking outside of the box and coming up with something that actually works, very well I may add.

Thanks, I decided that there was no point in buying an omni-bounce or a sto-fen when I could just make my own out of stuff I found around the house. There is also tinfoil on the inside.

Also: I, Butthole that loving sucks. I've been to a lot of punk/hardcore shows with my camera and have managed to avoid that. I'll be more careful at the next one I photograph defiantly.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

My money is on rogue crowd surfer foot.

The worst that ever happened to me was at Warped Tour when I was hit with a full water bottle in the back of the neck. Normally it wouldn't have been that terrible but it was FROZEN.

I once got hit by a shoe when Bane was playing. I was off to the side after my three songs were up looking at the crowd and a shoe comes flying out of nowhere and bonks me on the head.

The other photographers thought it was hilarious

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

They are so god damned boring to shoot. I shot them once years ago and have ignored them at every proceeding Ozzfest. I will continue that trend this year, which works out because my buddies in Nonpoint are opening the main stage this year.

Oh and regarding crowd surfers coming in to the barricade. This is the single best tip I can ever give you to help avoid that. Make friends with security. The more I get to know security at each venue and the more they know me personally, the better they are in helping you out with this. There are certain venues I don't even have to worry because if I get a quick tap on my shoulder from one of them, it's them letting me know to move a few feet to the side and I never have to turn around. The only shows I get hit by crowd surfers anymore are the big outdoor festivals.

A note on crowds: get crowd shots. Bands love it. If it is a no barrier show get shots of the crowd interacting with the band, get shots of crowd surfers, get shots of the mosh pit.

You don't even have the time to even look, just point and shoot and hope for the best. Odd strategy but it works out sometimes.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Warped Tour is coming through my area July 13th and I want to shoot it something fierce. So I e-mailed MSO PR (the Vans PR) asking for a press pass application. I got in response an e-mail saying that I needed to be on "editorial assignment" with an outlet that "publishes musical coverage". This made me swear like a loving sailor because I don't shoot for any publication or outlet. So I've been e-mailing publications like crazy (including Kerrang!) to see if they need freelance coverage of Warped Tour.

I've got a feeling it's going to be a bitch and a half getting a photo pass for Warped

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Actally Warped Tour is probably the easiest festival to get approved for ever. There are easily 30 photographers shooting the event at every stop. Seriously, if you had a lovely geocities page that even looked like you'd shot a show before they'd approve you. I see people who have no idea how to shoot in the put year in and year out.

MSO is also one of the best and and thorough PR companies I've dealt with in my 7 years of concert shooting.

Actually shoot me an email, I might be able to help you out. rockcityphoto at gmail dot com

That's not the sense I got from the e-mail I was sent. I'll shoot you one.

*edit* which was this

quote:

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. You must be on editorial assignment with an
outlet that publishes music coverage in order to be eligible for a
press/photo pass for the Vans Warped Tour 2010. I can not credential for
photography websites or photographers looking to build a portfolio.
Additionally, Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, and Youtube
pages are not eligible for media credentials.

If you are eligible, please reply to this email and then I will send you
the press request form.

Thank you!
Bari

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 17, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Warped Tour usually has a bunch of local bands playing on the side stages. Make a deal with one of those bands that you'll shoot their set for access and bam, press pass.

I know some of the members of Vanna and I talked to them about getting access for shooting their set and I was told they were having trouble getting members of their family backstage. Hopefully a publication will get back to me soon

*edit* I'm an idiot, linked to flickr in my e-mail. Thank you rockcity for helping
*edit v2* I have a contact in Victory Records which does count as a outlet that publishes "musical coverage" so he's going to ask around there

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 17, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

I think a band would have an easier time getting a photog in than a family member in. In the way that a photog is working and the family is just mooching a free ticket.

Hell if I know. I've sent off a bunch of e-mails to publications so I'm just going to wait it out. I've still got a bit of time thankfully

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Not really, it's just about as easy either way, in fact it might be the opposite. They'd still have to clear the photo pass with the tour (just because they can't have every band on the tour with their own photog), though they wouldn't have to go through MSO, at least not Bari, it would be the traveling press manager. Warped Tour has a GIANT guest list, it's very easy for bands to get people in for free.

Victory is a fairly decent label with helping people out, so definitely try to talk to them. I'm trying to think if I have any contacts with bands on the tour. The past few years I've had good friends on the tour, so they've just flipped me laminates. This year I should be shooting for Alternative Press again.

Yeah I have a friend who interns with Victory so he's going to ask them for me and see what he can do. If it comes down to it I'll hit up Four Year Strong (who I have had contact with in the past) or see if any of my friends bands are playing Warped.

I mean I've got a ton of e-mails out to publications (and Victory) and I've already bugged Vanna enough so I'll take a look at the list of bands again for my date.

Thank you again rockcity, this is my first Warped that I have a chance to shoot and I seem to have fumbled the ball a bit

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Don't use the term personal blog. Don't make anything sound like it's for you...ever. This comes off to the publicist as you being selfish and not you helping provide publicity to a band. First off if you don't have a domain name, get one. It's the best $8 investment you can make. Think about it, if you're a PR rep and you have one last spot on your photo list, who's getting it. https://www.itakekickassrockmusicphotos.com or https://www.flickr.com/heyguyzlookatmycat

Sites are everything. It doesn't even have to be a good site. I suck horribly at making websites and running them, but having a site, with your own "company" name is hugely important. Also do not use a portfolio type site. I have one site with my name and one that is for concerts. If you want to be approved, keep these separate.

Lastly, publicists tend to like things short, you don't need to give them your life story in an email. If it's a publicist I've never worked with I usually give them a BRIEF synopsis of my site and my work, usually one sentence or so. Then include what you need i.e. 1 ticket and 1 photo pass what date you need it for, the venue and the city. That is about it. Put your name and a signature of sorts to look mildly professional and you're done. I've stuck by this for years and I can count the times I've been denied (for reasons other than the list being full) on one hand over the 7 years I've been shooting concerts.

I wish this was posted/I talked to you guys before sending off my ill fated e-mail. Mah well, I have a couple of feelers out for publications. I think over the summer I am going to get another website (like rockcity said and keep them seperate) and overhaul my website (currently looking like this: http://ethanhansenphoto.com/) to this (http://ethanhansenphoto.com/playground/) which is more polished and a hell of a lot easier to navigate.

The only place that will link to flickr is the "galleries" page. The live music page is just images as will the promotional and equine page (yes I shoot horse shows, in fact doing one this weekend). Only issue would be the domain name. I need to think of a good one for my second site. I also need to make a new watermark...

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Don't put two URLs in the watermark. Pick one and stick with it. Also, the font is hard to read when it's that small and all in caps.

Yeah that's my older watermark. I'm going to make a new one (with one site) in big block letters. Then I'm going to replace the pictures on the site now with the newly watermarked ones.

Thank god that site isn't live yet

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
In my search for publications I have heard back from two places: an online music zine (who said they already had coverage) and a very odd e-mail from my local newspaper. My newspaper said that they unfortunately couldn't pay me for my "artistry" (direct quote) but would be interested in doing a Q&A interview with me at some point regarding my work.

Huh.

So I e-mailed back saying i wasn't interested in getting paid but was offering to cover because Vans PR said I had to be on editorial assignment blah blah blah and I would be happy to be interviewed. I get a very quick response saying "Why don't we start with one photo submission and brief write up for the WickedLocal website and see how that goes." WickedLocal being the online equivalent of my town's newspaper. I write back asking to clarify if she means a submission of a photo from a past show to kind of publicize warped or a photo submission after Warped Tour.

If it is the latter then I am pretty drat sure that counts as being on editorial assignment for Warped Tour.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Hello wide angle distortion!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The editor of my local paper hasn't gotten back to me about Warped Tour coverage yet after I sent her an e-mail about clarification. She said I could start out with a photo and a short writeup on the website but never replied when I asked about whether it would be for Warped or a previous show I shot.

If I don't hear back from her by the end of today I'll send her a followup e-mail.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Sent a followup e-mail to the editor of my local paper (who as it turns out is on publication deadline so her response was rather short) and got a good response. She said that if I needed a press pass for Warped Tour I could make that my submission for the paper.

So I'm covering Warped Tour for my local paper! It's gonna be one photo and a short article but it counts for being on editorial assignment! Though I am cutting it a bit close...

Now to wait for a response from MSO PR

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got the Coverage Request Form from MSO and filled it out. Only thing I am hesitant about is the address which actually isn't in my town but the next town over (and it was kinda a bitch to track down) where I guess a ton of papers are printed. It shouldn't be an issue because the editor information I gave them on the form is recent and she can vouch for me.

Hopefully they can read my handwriting :ohdear:

And sent in! They'll "be in touch"

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 29, 2010