Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Devyl posted:

Before I ask this, I haven't read through all 70+ pages yet, so if it's been answered already, just point me in that direction :)

I'm an amateur photographer. I in no way call myself a professional, nor do I charge for my photographs. I love taking photos at concerts and it's great to hear the music I enjoy live as well. Anyways, getting to the point, When I went to my last show, I ran into the bassist for a local band and we talked for a while and exchanged facebook info. Well, they liked some of the photos I posted of previous shows and asked me if I wanted to do some photography for them. What I'm wondering is if I should ask for any kind of pay for this? I mean, I'm happy to just not get charged cover charge or ticket price to get in the show. Also, would it be ok to post some of my photos for critique? Hell, I don't even know if my pictures are good or not. Because I don't want to mis-lead the band or anything into thinking I'm the best photographer in the world.

Post them! We all have varying styles of photography so I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Also Flogging Molly. I need to not shoot at f/1.4 the entire night next time

Flogging Molly - 13 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Photographed the Idobi Meltdown Festival last night. Circa Survive headlined. So many LED lights

Circa Survive by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The Menzingers were one of the openers

The Menzingers by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

n0n0 posted:

The quality of the photos in this thread make me so critical of my own shots.

Here's a couple from the Finch show at the Glass House in Pomona a few weeks ago.

Finch, Feb 10 2012-343-Edit.jpg by Matthew Gilford, on Flickr

Finch, Feb 10 2012-254-Edit.jpg by Matthew Gilford, on Flickr

I just got back from shooting Finch! I swear I got better photos of the openers because Nathan moves around so loving much.

Finch by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

n0n0 posted:

He does move around a lot -- but he's also quite photogenic and he makes cool expressions, which makes him fun to photograph. I hadn't ever really listened to Finch before, and I find their live performances to blow the roof off compared to their studio recordings.

Also, cool photos :)

Thanks dude! Also I prefer to shoot on a 35 prime when I'm shooting larger venues so that's an added challenge plus f/1.4 when I borrow the L lens so that's fun (and my own fault).

And it's not all about action shots

Nate of Finch by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
While I've taken a break from music photography for a while Warped Tour is something that's always fun.

Story of The Year by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Man Overboard by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr